Railroad Line Forums - Dealing with Sellios' cast metal walls
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Dealing with Sellios' cast metal walls
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Wall Murals in HO Topic Next Topic: Anyone ever build Suydam Cardboard kit?  

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2019 :  7:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recently realized that I've never built a structure using any of George's metal walls (Swackhammer's, Seawall's, Chippy Hollow, etc). I purchased RailroadKits.com Harbor Fish Market walls and thought I'd reproduce this simple structure.

My first question is how did George glue these together?
My second, how did you do it?

I've got some ideas but I figure it's good to tap into a know resource.
TIA
--Rich

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/06/2019 :  10:07:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not built these kits but, I do build a lot or white metal kits in ON30. I have found the best way to fix the parts is low temp solder. Go to youtube and search "soldering white metal kits". You can also use 5 minute epoxy or thick super glue.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/06/2019 :  10:13:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rich,

I checked out the instructions in my Swackhammer's kit by George, and he stated he would recommend using super glue, but because of the weight, a 2-part, 5 minute epoxy, would be better to use.

When I constructed the tribute model I made for Chester and Frederic', I used two metal walls as a base for the red shed on my diorama. I purchased the metal walls from Railroad kits.

Below is the glue I used for metal joinery, made by Testors for metal and wood models.

Since my two walls were the only ones showing on the "basement" section, I also glued them to a small block of wood (hidden from view), for stability, especially at the corner where they would be joined. I hope this helps.

Rich

Jim Mooney
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/06/2019 :  6:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
5 min epoxy...no other...

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2019 :  8:17:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the responses Lars, Rich and Jim.

The soldering seems like a nice idea but I'm a pretty sloppy at soldering.

Interesting that George recommended using super glue.

Looks a quick setting 2-part epoxy wins. I'm going to pick up something called KwickWeld. Sets pretty quickly and can be worked.

I do like the idea of bracing. I found some 1/4" square pieces of sugar pine in the bin that should do the trick.

The Testor's looks interesting. Maybe I'll use that for the bracing.

--Rich

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2019 :  10:16:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never built a FSM kit but I have built several Woodland scenics metal kits and I've assembled all the walls with 5 minute epoxy. I did assemble a WS grader kit with CA but it fell apart after a few years. I find the weight of a cast metal structure works against itself unless you use a pretty strong adhesive with decent shear strength.

nortonw
Section Hand

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  12:43:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just another thought.

Having used Gorilla Glue a couple of times I find it pretty robust in it's binding qualities. Just don't even think about moving it once it's bonded. Any good contact cement I would think would work well too. Walthers Goo as an example but not the only one.

Previous Topic: Wall Murals in HO Topic Next Topic: Anyone ever build Suydam Cardboard kit?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000