Railroad Line Forums - Anyone ever build Suydam Cardboard kit?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 132 ]  [ Total: 134 ]  [ Newest Member: unclebug ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Anyone ever build Suydam Cardboard kit?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Dealing with Sellios cast metal walls Topic Next Topic: 2019 Tribute Challenge Final Photos  

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/01/2019 :  1:15:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I found a California Models (pre-Suydam) kit 70 the "1879 Combination Town Depot" hidden with my kit collection. The kit looks very challenging, and the finished product is questionable due to the lack of detail. I put away FOS' Degraw's Poultry due to lack of interest in it, plus the main roof was pissing me off. Just curious about the early Suydam cardboard kits and the problems that go with them

John

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/01/2019 :  1:59:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,

If you're concerned about the paper bits of this kit, then consider substituting sheet styrene for the cardboard. It works well, produces an interesting little station, and can be detailed with scratchbuilt or purchased parts.... We have a lot more choices now than we did when I did my Suydam (Santa Fe style??) station as my first "scratch-build" decades ago. Still recommend interior bracing, though!

Nice "layout quality" station without much frustration!

Pete
in Michigan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/01/2019 :  3:58:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John,

The last time I built one of these was thirty years ago when I reentered the hobby. Even then I saw some of the limitations. For instance, the board and batten is a little too subtle. there is scope for improvement, which could be fun. It was a pretty fast build.

Mike

Michael
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 07/01/2019 :  4:03:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John:

I built two Suydam Kits back in the 80s, Purina Feeds and Swift Meat Packers. For both kits I braced the interiors with strip wood.

For the Swift Packers kit, I placed Evergreen styrene siding in between the outside pillars for a different effect.

The Purina Feeds was built as is since the exterior walls were lithographed with the familiar Purina logos and checkerboard.

They were my first attempt at kit building. It was a fun experience.

I recently picked up a Suydam/California Models kit at a train show. It's sitting in the To-Do bin.

Enjoy your build.

Michael

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/01/2019 :  5:13:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I built one years ago. Forgot what it was but it was converted to an engine house with corregated siding. HO Was on the club layout, later sold and now resides in Evansville Indiana.

Philip

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 07/01/2019 :  5:44:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the same kit in my collection, with the Extra interior detailing and lighting kit for an extra 1.95 when it was new (wow!)

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  11:11:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I built the Swift plant a few years ago and was very impressed with the quality of the materials and the accuracy of the die cutting. The kit went together beautifully and I am very happy with it.
Regards, Vic B.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  12:28:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember doing one/some of these in the '60s... The results were OK, they were good learning kits. But not sure I'd say they were layout-quality for me now.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  4:23:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's the model I built in the early 90's, I think:

I don't remember what mods I made other than add vertical muntins to the windows and build the platform.

I used almost no bracing and it's held up very well in the humid environment of our club. Perhaps I painted both sides of the card.

With weathering and a few details, I think it would hold up quite well on many layouts.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 07/02/2019 4:25:16 PM

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 07/03/2019 :  2:48:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is my Swift plant. The only real extra thing I added was interior and exterior lighting.

While it is certainly not as detailed or complex as many other structures I built, I am very happy with it on my layout.
Regards, Vic B.

Previous Topic: Dealing with Sellios cast metal walls Topic Next Topic: 2019 Tribute Challenge Final Photos  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000