Railroad Line Forums - Repainting Bachmann Big Hauler cars
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 254 ]  [ Total: 257 ]  [ Newest Member: DanielR ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Repainting Bachmann Big Hauler cars
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bought another LGB... Topic Next Topic: F Scale D&RGW 315 build  

Graffen
Fireman

Posted - 06/24/2019 :  2:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Graffen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all!
I got these Bachmann cars on the bay.

I can't stand that plastic fantastic toy look though.
So, I started with removing the heralds from the caboose with paint stripper.

Then I repainted both cars with Scalecoat mineral red paint using a #3 brush.

They will both be marked for my own railroad, and they will be detailed and weathered as I go along.
A few broken parts will be fixed as well.
Michael Graff
"Deo Adjuvante Labor Proficit"
Swedish custom model builder.
http://sites.google.com/site/graffairbrushart

Graffen
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  10:44:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Graffen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Made some progress on the caboose.

Applied the decals and pre-weathered the underframe.

Michael Graff
"Deo Adjuvante Labor Proficit"
Swedish custom model builder.
http://sites.google.com/site/graffairbrushart

nateizme
New Hire

Posted - 07/17/2019 :  5:57:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking great! What did you use to remove the letters on the cars?

Ansley
New Hire

Posted - 08/21/2019 :  3:51:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Ansley an AOL message  Send Ansley a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nateizme

Looking great! What did you use to remove the letters on the cars?

Not sure how he did it, but I can explain how I do it. I use the cleaner called Super Clean. There's a web page somewhere that explains it, but here's how I did it recently. First, I've cone this on a few G scale engines/tender/cars. I did this on an Aristocraft 0-4-0 switcher that had R/C Cola on the side of the cab, and on the Tender. I recnelty performed this on a large G scale Aristocraft long tender for a Mikado. It had a large non-matching road numnber (was not a set with the locomotive). The letters were about 1.25 inches tall, on the other ones I've done the lettering and logos were smaller. Essentially soak folded papwer towels thouroghly in the Super Clean then place on lettering/logo for about 10 minutes. I also put weights on top of it so it would make good contact. After that use Q-tips to scrub off the lettering. Usually not all comes off, then I sometimes just soak the lettering in straight Super Clean, wait a minute or two more, then scrub away with Q-tips and soak up with paper towels 1) I recommend wearly glove and/or not getting much of that stuff on your hands 2) you'll need a lot of q-tips for large sections on G-scale. With a little elbow grease and many q-tips mine came of really, really good. Hard to see at all where they were. I've also painted over with flat black paint in some cases with great success.

-----------
Ted Ansley
Model Train Enthusiast
Roller Coaster Enthusiast

Previous Topic: Bought another LGB... Topic Next Topic: F Scale D&RGW 315 build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000