Railroad Line Forums - Dickens Victorian London Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 88 ]  [ Total: 92 ]  [ Newest Member: Movidium ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Dickens Victorian London Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: An Introduction... and a Pic or Two Topic Next Topic: Ferris Wheel Restart
Page: of 29

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 06/22/2019 :  3:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I must have got distracted yesterday while looking at your progress, Carl. I see after all that ogling I forgot to leave a comment!

Looking marvelous!

Cheers, Mark.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/22/2019 :  4:06:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent work, very interesting build

It's only make-believe

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/22/2019 :  7:48:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark and Bob, thank you.

Mark- No worries, i do the same thing when reading builds!

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  07:29:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Large multi-pane front windows were a common sight in the 19th century. I reached out to forum member Sgt. Bob , who built a similar project. He recommended pinstripe or chart tape for window mullions. I started with 1/64" chart tape in black, other colors were available, but were either an un-Godly orange or gold. I cut some lengths off the roll, and stuck them to a piece of white styrene. Then tried to paint the tape the buildings trim color, but paint doesn't stick well to vinyl.

I used a scale size grid I had printed on paper, then taped down a sheet of thick clear acetate. Extremely slow going to get these as straight as I could. The tape does stretch a bit while working with it, so utmost care is required. This is actually my third attempt to get it right....The adhesive is not very strong, and can be lifted backup several times. Hopefully that feature won't come back to haunt me!

When finished, I cut away the edge waste to the appropriate size perimeter.

Added a strip wood "frame" to hold it in place, and it should keep the edges of the tape down for good. Glued the window in place with Aleene's Tacky Clear Gel.

I finished the other window, and added multiple panes to the door window too. Just sitting in place, nothing glued.

Johnson Coal & Coke also needs a single large front window. A bit fancier, based on his guaranteed brisk business- in this era, everyone needed coal! I always admired the curved fronts of some of these shops, and I wanted to use it here. I laid down the window mullions with 1/64" chart tape like the previous ones, only on much thinner (and easier to bend) acetate. I then cut two "forms" to support the curve and gluing surface, at the top and bottom.

Glued in the window, then a layer of card on the top and bottom, and strip wood around the perimeter to build up the area. This was not easy, and required a couple re-do's. Some clean-up is necessary...I do plan to build interiors, I sure hope you can see them past these things....

In place for a test fit. Nothing glued or finalized, as you can tell by the sign.

till next time....brick and mortar....

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  08:51:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3 CHEERS !!

Fantastic looking shops, Carl, I love them all.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  09:38:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl, those windows look fabulous!
Especially the curved one.
Perhaps using canopy glue on them for the windows will strengthen them and hold them together well.

Greg Shinnie

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  10:05:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Carl,
Very nice! The chart tape window grids look great!

David Guffey

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  10:08:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome!!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  11:48:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent job, Carl. What a lot of fiddly work! They will look even better with interiors behind them.

Mike

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  2:08:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those windows came out just fine looking to me.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  3:53:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Carl I've been charting your progress and it's fabulous.

trains4ms
Section Hand

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  6:01:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One word, outstanding and fantastic job. Oh, that was four words!

Mike S.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  6:38:30 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Fantastic work, Carl!

Love the curved window!

I use dullcote to prime my Campbell corrugated iron so it takes paint (gives it a bit of grit). Perhaps that could work to help with painting the vinyl?

Really enjoying your project.

Cheers, Mark.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  7:36:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all so much Bob, Greg, Dave G. Jerry, Mike H., Louis, Frank, Mike S. & Mark!

For those concerned, at normal viewing distance, the color of the chart tape isn't noticeable.
All of it looks black.

So, I'm not going to worry about it.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 06/27/2019 :  08:28:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your windows look great, Carl. Another approach would be to print the muntins on a sheet of clear overhead projection film. You don't get the depth you do with the chart tape, but it won't lift off.

George

Page: of 29 Previous Topic: An Introduction... and a Pic or Two Topic Next Topic: Ferris Wheel Restart  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000