Railroad Line Forums - Dickens Victorian London Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 84 ]  [ Total: 91 ]  [ Newest Member: Movidium ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Dickens Victorian London Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: An Introduction... and a Pic or Two Topic Next Topic: Ferris Wheel Restart
Page: of 29

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  10:41:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carl. A very interesting subject, and nice to see you looking across the pond for inspiration.
I too am a Dickens / Holmes / Victorian era fan, so am really looking forward to seeing what you do with this build.
Of course, we all know you will do a fantastic job.
Looking forward to your progress.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  09:27:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rob, great to hear from you down under...

Since your such a fan of the subject matter- feel free to offer your thoughts during the process.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  09:55:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Please, sir, I want some more" :)

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  6:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I shall try again to provide "some more" tomorrow morning Bill.

RRLine did not cooperate with me today.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  07:12:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's an abundance of masonry on these structures, so I'm testing how to make stucco walls. After reviewing other modelers efforts including Liquitex stucco product and Durhams water putty, etc, I felt for my taste that some of the finished product with large bumps and deep dimples, was out of scale for HO.. I attempted to make my ubiquitous pre-mixed drywall compound work.

I began with a two story test wall, if successful, will actually become the extreme right side of the dio. I cut the perimeter from .050" chipboard, as a substrate. I randomly chose a Tichy door and window.

Then I framed the entire card with 2 x 8, flush with the bottom of the card and the remainder protruding out of the top. This will create a 1/16" deep form to contain the upcoming "stucco".

Braced the back of the card.

Spread the compound onto the card that I had previously coated with white glue. When it dried overnight, I removed the 2 x 8 strip wood forms and of course, it was cracked in multiple places. I painted it a cream color as a base.. On top of that, I applied a very light skim coat of compound to fill in the biggest cracks. After that dried overnight, deliberate uneven sanding to knock down high spots.

I painted the door and window dark brown. I tilted the wall up and aimed the lighting to see the surface. Sufficiently uneven and gritty for me. I set the door and window in place and thought their casings should be flush with the stucco surface. Viewing the vintage pix, all kinds of odd, unsafe and questionable building techniques were used! I'll probably cover this wall with tudor style timber framing later on...

I scraped away the dried compound to allow the castings to sit level, and then went back and re-filled the area with more compound. I like how this is turning out. I was satisfied with this test wall, but it now had a slight horizontal warp. I added a very thick piece of strip wood on the back to straighten it.

I cut more (but not all) of the needed walls, and framed the ones needed for more stucco again.
The hotel wall has extra space on the right side to slide behind a clapboard wall at the corner.

I've applied joint compound into the forms of Oxford Arms and Crafter & Stockley. Will let these dry under weights before continuing. As another experiment, I omitted the white glue from these pours, to see if there is much of a difference. When it dried, there was less warping & no cracking.

Dang. Already a mistake...the left wall has two identical windows that have sidelights on each end on the prototype. Have to cut those out and make them wider ...

Till next time....maybe fewer mistakes.....

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  08:38:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Carl !!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  08:44:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, looking good. You’re providing very useful information.

Mike

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  08:48:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're still in the experimentation stage: Try sealing the chipboard (I found some spray shellac that works great), and see if that makes a difference in how the stucco/mud goes on. The shellac should prevent any soak-through from the liquid in the wallboard compound.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  10:19:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Interesting take on the stucco look. I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  12:29:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting experiment. Maybe seal the Joint Compound with Textured paint?

Bob Harris

It's only make-believe

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  12:37:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know you've decided not to use sheet material, but if you happen to change your mind, plastruct has 'stucco' sheets. i used them on a scratchbuilt depot and it turned out looking good. i'll try to locate some pics.

the only mystery in life is...why did the kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  6:48:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Fred and Mike.

Dave, skipping the white glue worked fine, but thanks for the tip.

Frank and Bob, the early results look promising.

Appreciate the idea Kevin. I'll look into those later down the road.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  8:25:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Carl,

Thought I'd join the parade of followers. I'm interested in that stucco technique. I have a question about that "chipboard", what is it and where can you get it? It looks almost like cardboard.

Bernd

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/07/2019 :  12:43:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carl. I like your results so far. Rendered or masonry walls can be difficult, and there are many different products / techniques used.
But you seem to have got an excellent appearance.

Always good to try something new.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 06/07/2019 :  07:15:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
bernd,
i've seen it in craft stores 12" x 12" sheets for a buck.

the only mystery in life is...why did the kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

Page: of 29 Previous Topic: An Introduction... and a Pic or Two Topic Next Topic: Ferris Wheel Restart  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000