Railroad Line Forums - Dickens Victorian London Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 121 ]  [ Total: 123 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Dickens Victorian London Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Ferris Wheel Restart
Page: of 28

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/04/2019 :  8:12:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kevin, Frank, Jerry, Mike, Pete, Dave and Bill!

I certainly would't tell anyone to build one of these if they didn't REALLY need it!

Bill, I could possibly fit LED's in the lanterns, but hiding the wires down through the cab and into the"street" to get power ...would be darn near impossible.

Or.... maybe the wires could be part of the harness to the horse, and then go down inside his leg into the street....HMMMM.....Wait!.... NO!

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/04/2019 :  8:31:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...maybe the wires could be part of the harness to the horse, and then go down inside his leg into the street....HMMMM.....Wait!.... NO!
Carl, I like how you think!

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/04/2019 :  11:33:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll go 10-1 that the horse doesn't.

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  06:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl, I am not going to hy-jack your build string with photos of my old London Scene but
I do have the coach lights lit. Now I did that long before I started using LEDs so they
are GOW bulbs but it is a nice touch.

Also, I don't know if you are going to have any sort of background for your wonderful
models but if you do, here's a suggestion. I made a simple background and painted it to
look like many roofs and a whole collection of chimneys. It helps give the impression.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  09:31:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill- Thanks, but it's only logical.

Thayer- I'm sure the horse wouldn't appreciate that surgery.

Bob- I have a grey, cloudy day sky background ready for the final photos. I'm not skilled enough in that area to paint chimneys & roofs on it, but that's a great idea!

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  10:07:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,

Have you considered the lowly rattle can for your backdrop? Seems to me that this would be a perfect place for a grey/black sky with some silhouettes of buildings sprayed black, then grey to have them receding into the fog. Make a couple of building shape stencils and spray from a distance so you don't have really sharp edges.

You could play with the process, find a combination that works, and rock on.... No details required....

Spraying one color before the other has dried will allow blending, and shooting from a distance will soften the edges as well. This sounds bizarre, but it works.

It's a thought....

Pete
in Michigan

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  10:47:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spraying one color before the other has dried will allow blending, and shooting from a distance will soften the edges as well

That's exactly what I did Pete...rattle cans and all.

Based on the aspect ratio of the images I take, and the shape of the dio, itself- there won't be much sky at all. And the horizon is blocked by the long sloping Spanish tile roof in the back.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  11:06:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Spraying one color before the other has dried will allow blending, and shooting from a distance will soften the edges as well

That's exactly what I did Pete...rattle cans and all.

Based on the aspect ratio of the images I take, and the shape of the dio, itself- there won't be much sky at all. And the horizon is blocked by the long sloping Spanish tile roof in the back.

Great minds....

Pete
in Michigan

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  12:17:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl, just got back from our cottage last night, and was anxious to see what you've been up too since I last checked in.
I love the Jordan wagons that you've made, and that jig for holding the wheels is a great idea!
I think it would be wonderful if you could get the coach lamps lit up.
Running the wires down the horses leg would be the way I'd go.
Keep up the great work!

Greg Shinnie

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2019 :  07:26:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Greg. The jig is a "must have".

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2019 :  09:17:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,

I have another Horse and Buggy kit, but now after seeing your work, I know I will not be putting a Brougham together. You do such excellent work on such fragile items. The drybrushing helps to enlighten the details. Nice work.

Rich

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2019 :  6:59:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Appreciate the compliment Rich.

I forgot to mention the dry brushing I did- pretty simple paint job, all black cab with a gray drybrush,
The wheels (which were cast in red) got a little brown dirt too.

And the horse of a different color.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2019 :  07:02:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Appropriate figures for this era are scarce in HO scale. A UK based vendor named AC Stadden is producing impressive historical period sets ( including these "Victorian" people) in pewter. They are highly recommended by a few modelers that have already used them. There was no flash, and only very minor filing or scraping of parting lines.

I found these drawings on-line of Victorian era fashions as a color guide. Men's clothing was MUCH simpler.

The first coats of paint. The male figures are between 5.5 and 6 scale ft. tall including hats, the females were all 5.5 ft. I was a bit skeptical at first about them, but they rival Preiser quality.

Early on, my wife suggested chimneys sweeps working about.. There's a very small selection available commercially, but I improvised with some unpainted generic work men I had in my inventory from Preiser. They needed stovepipe hats, so I measured one of my Stadden figures hats. I then cut small slices of 3/32" styrene tube, and glued it to a round cutout of thin card for the brim. Modelers paste covers the hole on top.

Cut the boys' heads off just above the eye level. Simply applied black paint to ALL the clothing . Ready for work, but I will dirty them up even more.

A couple of ladders, and they were perched in their places.

All painting is finished. Our daughter Chanel, the future "caretaker" of this model, gets the final word on LP and buggy placements. Sorry about the back of her head, I had to capture this shot in "stealth" mode.

The power jack was housed in the same "box of wood scraps" as I've done before. Side mounted, so the cord doesn't interfere with an "against a wall" set up.

Till next time....final pix and thoughts...

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2019 :  07:49:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,

Every time I check in to this build, I am amazed at the artistry and quality of your workmanship. It's inspirational.

Jim

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2019 :  09:54:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,
Great work on the figures.
Your daughter must be very special to you to be the recepient of such a fine model.

Rich

Page: of 28 Topic Next Topic: Ferris Wheel Restart  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.02 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000