Railroad Line Forums - Dickens Victorian London Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 93 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: red dog ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Dickens Victorian London Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: An Introduction... and a Pic or Two Topic Next Topic: Ferris Wheel Restart
Page: of 29

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2019 :  6:55:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks to me like you're moving along well, Carl, I'd probably still be in the head scratching phase.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/05/2019 :  9:11:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Greg, Jeff, Kevin and Fred!

I can assure you all that many attempts at the roof cards are in the trash.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/05/2019 :  11:23:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl that is some crazy roof angles. And your saying the roofing material will be different on each roof.

Just outstanding detail and work.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  08:48:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,

What you are attempting here with the many integrated roof angles would be mind boggling to most avid seasoned roofers, but I'm very sure you will accomplish this task. Persistence and perserverence are the key features to reality.
Thanks for sharing your outstanding work with us.

Rich

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  09:58:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Carl, one step at a time and no problem.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  12:51:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry and Rich, thanks for your nice comments!

Yep this complicated roofing stuff wasn't what I anticipated... but when you "just wing it", there's a price you pay. It's called not having a plan.

Frank- Yes sir.

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  1:20:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GOOD WORK, Carl. Anyone who is a scratchbuilder has "winged it" many times.

By the way, a few years ago I found the real origin of the phrase "wing it" and I was very
surprised. It did not come from airplanes or flying at all as I thought it had.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  7:07:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob!

I found the real origin of the phrase "wing it"

You forced me to look it up...it's from the theatrical arts- when an actor was rushed to learn his lines in the "wings" of the stage. Ha!

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  07:21:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More roofing....

I have a small wall gap between the bottom of the long roof line of the Oxford Arms Hotel and the tops of the other buildings. I need to create some filler pieces to finish it off. I built and poured 2 short sections & one long section of joint compound and after drying, scribed them to match the front wall.

After painting the block wall, various wood supports were attached to existing walls to suspend it in the proper place.

The hotel needed the two very short walls to flush out its depth. These walls & the surrounding area will be mostly covered by the roofing material overhang.

There is a very small section of flat roof behind the peak gable sections. This piece of chipboard will be covered with black sandpaper. Once all the other roof pieces are in place, very little of this area will be exposed.

I built a rigid frame of large 7/64" X 9/32" stock to support the long back roof. There can be no supports for this frame in its middle, since I want clear access to the wiring. The supports I built earlier would just be in the way, so they were discarded. It's a bit over 12" long.

That frame was glued in between the two finished block outside walls and the entire assembly glued in place. The actual roof will be a separate piece that slides on top of this frame.

I built a roof jig the exact same pitch as the real roof so I could build and tweak the walls and chimneys at the roof lines. No need to try to build in mid air on the fragile frame, and disturb any already finished areas..

Till next time....chimneys for every occasion....

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  07:56:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
whew. i'm exhausting just looking at the pictures. talk about fiddly roofs. if anyone can figure it out you can obi won.....

the only mystery in life is...why did the kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  08:56:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl,

Your roofs are going to be almost as interesting as the rest of your model.

When you say you poured joint compound to make the new stone sections, does that mean you thinned it some? What is the thin material you back it up with?

Mike

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  09:26:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Your building looks structurally sound but it would have driven an architect nuts trying to design all those bits.

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  09:35:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  10:03:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl, it looks like there's going to be lots of room for the chimney sweeps to move around.

Greg Shinnie

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  3:17:15 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looking fantastic, Carl!

Even my two bullmastiffs think so...'Roof! Roof!'

Cheers, Mark.

Page: of 29 Previous Topic: An Introduction... and a Pic or Two Topic Next Topic: Ferris Wheel Restart  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000