Railroad Line Forums - Dickens Victorian London Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 125 ]  [ Total: 131 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Dickens Victorian London Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: The Tenement and others - Module #6. Finale.
Page: of 23

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/06/2019 :  7:45:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Mike, Sgt.Bob, Frank, Jerry, Mark, Bob H.and Dave G.!

Sgt Bob- You bet I've seen all the chimneys...and we shall have many in this scene !

Bill- Actually, I don't think my daughter had Christmas in mind for this dio at all-

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2019 :  8:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Decrepit and beautiful !!

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  10:11:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Fred!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  10:32:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those buildings look great gathered together. I'm looking forward to seeing the roofs.

George

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  6:25:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much George.

Just like Sgt. Bob noted, the roofs and chimneys are going to be blatantly obvious....they will need serious attention. Luckily, I'm quite a ways off from that point.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2019 :  11:42:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl, just catching up with what you've been up to here, and I must say that everything is looking jolly Good!

Greg Shinnie

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2019 :  11:47:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fantastic work, Carl. I can just see Ebenezer Scrooge walking past the shop windows.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2019 :  8:52:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Greg and Russ for your kind words...

Russ- Great idea- but he might be INSIDE his business....

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/09/2019 :  09:35:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,

I have been following your progress of this excellent build. You have shown some great tips to file away for future use. I like the choice of your coloring on the brick walls. Keep on with the fine work.

Rich

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/09/2019 :  7:11:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much Rich. I appreciate your comments, and you following along.

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 07/09/2019 :  8:30:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you never cease to amaze me carl. i thought your european christmas diorama was a work of art, but this one....
i expect holmes and watson to come strolling around a corner. or jack the ripper, or mr. hyde, or countless other dickensian characters. you really have a nack my friend. and it pretty amazing.
on a scale of 1 to 10, the european christmas was a 10, but this one could blow the scale right off the charts.
bravo for a brilliant job (so far...:))

the only mystery in life is...why did the kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/10/2019 :  08:19:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Holmes and Watson: Didn't someone do a line of HO scale figures that included Holmes, Watson and Lestrade?

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/10/2019 :  09:02:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin- You are too kind. I hoped I would evoke those kinds of thoughts in the viewer, and it sounds like I've succeeded.

The comparison to my European Christmas dio is appropriate, that one was for my wife, and this one is for my daughter.
Two different, but similar urban themes from the past.

Dave E.- I don't know who that figure company was...
But I intend to use this widely recommended company for Victorian figures in this dio....

https://www.acstadden.co.uk/product-page/ho10-victorian-people

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/10/2019 :  4:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Stadden figures are superb! Here's a link to the Holmes/etc figures, I hope this company is still in business. http://www.scalefigures.com/HO/ho3.htm

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 07/10/2019 5:00:20 PM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2019 :  07:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Electricity wasn't distributed in England until the 1890's. Lighting was either oil or gas fed lamps, or candles. None were much brighter than a common 25 watt bulb. I built my usual window light boxes, and coated the interiors with a dirty yellow paint. Each box also has a piece of tissue paper painted the same yellow, curved around the interior to provide diffusion. The more layers of tissue...the more dim the light. You can also paint the LED itself, however the results are variable. I'll use that idea later. Your attempts may vary.

Dimming LEDs with smaller power voltages & higher resistor values is possible, but because of LED design, the effect is marginally dimmer at best. I simply supported a warm white SMD LED with a small block of wood facing the back, and then used another piece of painted paper on top of it to block more light.

A test of one box in a window... without curtains or shades...I've built 18 boxes, so I have some flexibility with quantity & final placement.

For the streets, I wanted wall mounted gas lights. In this photo, most were attached to the building walls, and these were 4 sided. Very few free standing pole lights were in use at this time.

After an exhaustive search of available commercial options, I found these lanterns on Shapeways.com, designed by a fellow in Spain, claiming to be HO scale, and made my first ever order of 3D printed parts. I paid extra for the smooth white plastic. They are a bit flexible and certainly very fragile, and appear a bit large.

In order to get an LED inside, I needed to drill thru the arm bracket to feed the wires through.

I talked to the 3D parts designer about this, he doubted it could be done. I started by delicately drilling a pilot hole using a #78 bit, carefully keeping it centered. Then I moved up to a #71 bit. It's a tight fit, but I finally pulled the two LED wires through. I want to mimic an open flame here, but with no flicker. I did indeed break one in the process.

I tried dipping my LED's in the same yellow acrylic color paint. Here is an unpainted LED on the left, then 1 paint coat in the middle, then 2 paint coats on the right. I'll use the last one.

Painted flat black with a little rust, wired and tested.. I probably won't use this many, but just in case of failure or disaster.....Ready for installation....

I found an old film on You Tube which shows the UK maintaining their vintage street lamps...they can be quite large....

Till next time....interiors and resistors...

Page: of 23 Topic Next Topic: The Tenement and others - Module #6. Finale.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.74 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000