Railroad Line Forums - Yard Office Interior, need help
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 119 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: Trainshedhobbies ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Yard Office Interior, need help
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rockcrusher & Engine Roundhouse Projects Topic Next Topic: Tools and tips for scratch building
Page: of 2

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 05/03/2019 :  11:32:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to build a Yard/railroad/coke for my layout. the structure will be in O scale and very close to the edge of the layout, and easy to view inside of it. I would like to build it with an interior but all I have to work from is a floor plan with a bunch of circles and squares. I would like to know if anyone has any guesses what the items shown could be. The year would be early 20th century. the only think I know is that in the center of the main structure is a chimney, so I assume the big square in the center is a fireplace, or a chimney that a stove would be piped to, however I don't see a symbol next to it that looks like a stove. maybe the square between the chimney and the back wall is a stove, not sure.

the only other information I know about the structure is that the large square extension on the lower back corner with a door leading into it is a safe. the other extension on the back (above the safe) looks like it is a bathroom, but it seems strange that a building in backwoods West Virginia at the turn of the century would have a bathroom. However, it sure looks like there is a bathtub and toilet shown in that room. and if it is a bathroom why would a yard office need a bathtub.

I would also be interested in seeing any photos of old yard offices if anyone has any because I may just have to freelance the interior and would like to see some photos for ideas

thanks
Jeff

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2019 :  2:45:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably should give up one corner for a stove and coal scuttle. A yard office might have a section for the workers, that would include a couple chairs or a bench, plus lockers. The other side would be an office, some filing cabinets, one or two desks, and that stove.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 05/04/2019 :  4:51:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is what you would what your yard office to do, they can be as big or as little as to what goes in it. Most yard offices were like the pictures below.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/04/2019 :  5:06:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With those guys in the pictures, that tub may have been used for money laundering. Maybe the Station Master was quartered there, and in the 'old days' baths were favored over nearly non-existent showers. The room on the lower left would have been a handy bedroom, close to the 'facilities'.

Jim

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 05/07/2019 :  2:01:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
those are great photos, thanks

I also got some more information on this structure straight from the guy who got it straight from the horses mouth.

the room lower left was the company vault, which I knew because I saw that room in person, rather what was left of that room. the vault was built on two stone piers and to protect the vault from break-ins through the floor you can see a 1" thick steel plate.

the other small room is a bathroom. there was a sink, bathtub, toilet, and one other unknown object. This office was also the coke oven office and I imagine workers would take a bath before going home.

all of the other items are desk and tables with chairs.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 05/07/2019 :  3:06:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coaltrain

.........the other small room is a bathroom. there was a sink, bathtub, toilet, and one other unknown object.............all of the other items are desk and tables with chairs.

I can almost bet that other unknown object was a bidet. It is a plumbing fixture that is installed as a separate unit in the bathroom besides toilet, shower and sink, which users have to straddle. Some bidets resemble a large hand basin, with taps and a stopper so they can be filled up with water to aid in cleansing.
The home I bought and live in till this day, was previously owned by an older couple that had one installed when they built this house. It was known by past generations to save on showers, and be able to wash themselves using less water. Cleaning there buts and feet, and whatever.

Louis

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/07/2019 :  4:28:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A bidet in a US railroad shop? Someone cue the scene from "Crocodile Dundee"!

dave

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 05/07/2019 :  4:30:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
With those guys in the pictures, that tub may have been used for money laundering.

Gin.

Language is a cracked kettle on which we beat out tunes for bears to dance to,
while all the time we long to move the stars to pity.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 05/08/2019 :  09:08:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

A bidet in a US railroad shop? Someone cue the scene from "Crocodile Dundee"!

dave

In case you never noticed, this country years ago was made up of immigrants, so although it is as you say "US Railroad shop" they ran the country in many locations, as did, for example, the Irish controlled the Police departments.

Louis

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 05/08/2019 :  1:07:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Bidet, never heard of it, but after seeing a picture you could be right.

By Lenilucho - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=5082478

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/08/2019 :  1:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A urinal is A LOT MORE LIKELY in a early 20th century railroad facility!!!

dave

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 05/08/2019 :  1:40:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

dave

I agree with Dave. A urinal, a sink, and a standard toilet is more realistic for an American railroad toilet facility. A bidet in a yard office???

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 05/08/2019 :  1:50:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slimrails

quote:

dave

I agree with Dave. A urinal, a sink, and a standard toilet is more realistic for an American railroad toilet facility. A bidet in a yard office???

OK Russ, I concede, I'll go with the urinal, sink, & a standard toilet. Dave is most likely got the items in there right. I don't see Americans trying to save on toilet paper anyway, by using a bidet.

Louis

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/08/2019 :  3:53:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw my first one in Marseilles, France, and thought 'somebody ripped off the toilet seat'. Then I thought 'why would anyone want to bend down so far to wash their hands'? Then I was shown the care and use of such a device.

Russ it wasn't GPL.

Jim

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  01:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYIe9o2jMSE

dave

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2019 :  4:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am working on details for the interior of this structure, some I purchased, some I am printing on a 3D resin printer that I just purchased.

while I learn the ins and outs of resin printing I have something I need some help with. the office building I am building had a fireplace in the center. as the years went on I know it was converted to use two stoves, one on each side, from a sketch a former employee drew up. I have a couple photos of the chimney after the structure was removed, or fell down. the chimney has collapsed since these photos were taken. in the photos it appears that there is something covering the brick, almost looks like a paper-ish material. the photos show the covering is falling off of the brick. does anyone know that this material may have been? if I can't figure it out I will just skip it and make a brick fireplace / chimney. I would assume they had to block off the firebox area when the stoves were added.

in the photo you can see the covering and the hole in the bricks where the stove pipe entered

here are some photos of the interior so far. I have no clue what the actual interior color or wall treatment was, this is just a guess. I was sent a hand drawn sketch of the interior of the structure from a formal employee, which I am every so grateful for, thank you so much. I learned some very interesting things. for one, the circle in the upper left corner of the bathroom is a kerosene water heater, which I just simulated with some parts I had on hand. what I found really interesting was the large rectangle on the left wall (front wall), the sketch calls it a "Divan", which I had to look up because I never heard of that before. A Divan is a very fancy sofa like piece of furniture. The sketch said "leather covered Divan", and the charming part is that he spelled "Devan", which I am sure that's how it sounded when a West Virginian said it.

here is the outside

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Rockcrusher & Engine Roundhouse Projects Topic Next Topic: Tools and tips for scratch building  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000