Railroad Line Forums - Beginning With SwitchWithIT
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: JohnA ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Beginning With SwitchWithIT
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Switch WIth It Progress Topic Next Topic: Operations on the B&M Eastern Route
Page: of 2

Rick F.
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/02/2019 :  4:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a large home layout.

Question - Is it OK to enter all the information in each Tab, or should this be done a little at a time, just to see how things work? Thanks.

Any suggestions for us newbies?

ncng
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/02/2019 :  8:15:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit ncng's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I designed the program to flow in the order in which I would recommend data be entered. It makes things a lot easier to start with Locations (towns and yards) and then Industries since Industries have to have a town to be placed in. After that you can enter Routes and Trains or Rolling Stock and Shipments.

You can enter a little at a time to see how things work. Enter a couple of towns and their yards. Define a few industries in the towns. Then define a route or two between the towns. Define a few trains to run on a route. Try out a train that runs in one direction on the route. Then define another train that runs up and back on the same route. You can define a train that runs in reverse order and even reverse order up and back. One route can be used in many different ways.

Enter a few pieces of rolling stock and then define some shipments that will use require those cars.

Then generate a few switchlists. The first few trains should start distributing you cars to the loading locations you defined in the shipments. Then the loaded cars should start being picked up by later trains and routed to their destinations. Once they have been emptied at their unload locations, they should be picked up and taken back to a yard unless they have Return Car When Empty designations or they have follow-on shipments defined.

I key point is that shipments are only assigned when the date is incremented.

David

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2019 :  11:54:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David,

That sounds like a very solid design and rollout plan. 

Jim

Rick F.
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/03/2019 :  10:09:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you David. At present I have all the Locations entered and am now working on Industries.

Rick F.
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/04/2019 :  08:42:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Questions - I have a four track yard at one location. There is also a departure track and an interchange track there. How do I enter the departure track and how do enter the interchange track? Is the interchange track treated as a separate yard? Thanks.

Rick F.
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/04/2019 :  08:50:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More questions - My main yard is classified as my default yard. When entering new cars to the layout, do I assign them to a particular track as a "default" track within that yard? Also, Within that main yard are actually two yards. One is for classification and the other is a smaller interchange yard. I am using the interchange yard to serve as interchange with 3 other railroads. I have an inbound track and 3 outbound tracks. Would this be set up as a separate yard exclusively for interchange? How would cars move between the interchange yard to the classification yard? Thanks again.

ncng
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/05/2019 :  10:52:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit ncng's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rick,

I would not enter the departure/arrival (D/A) tracks into the system. For yards with D/A tracks, check the box 'Yard Switcher'. For each switchlist that is printed, a Yard Master switchlist is also provided. Use this second printout to move cars to and from the D/A tracks.

For Interchange Tracks, I would set them up as a separate yard. When defining your routes, only trains that have the interchange track on their route will service the interchange track. To move cars between the two locations, define a train that runs from the main yard to the interchange tracks and back.

The default yard options speeds the entry of cars into the database. You don't have to specify a specific track. Once you start running trains out of the default yard, the pickup location will be the name of the yard only. You will have to hunt for the car on its first move. All inbound cars to the yard will have a specific track automatically assigned.

David

Rick F.
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/05/2019 :  12:24:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, David. That really helps me. Gives me a better idea of how the program works.

Rick F.
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/08/2019 :  1:07:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there any way to look at a switch list in SwitchWithIt without actually printing it out? Thanks.

ncng
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/08/2019 :  7:56:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit ncng's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, every switchlist is first displayed in a preview mode before you select Print. If you don't want to print it out, just cancel the preview.

However, cancelling the preview also cancels the train. If you want to get the preview but not cancel the train, you will have to find a printer emulator or possibly send the output to a fictitious printer.

David

Rick F.
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/08/2019 :  9:51:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, Thanks.

Rick F.
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/08/2019 :  9:59:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed that when I click on staging tracks that two options come up - track name or an industry. Is it possible to have industries on staging tracks with ShipWithIt? For example I have staging tracks named for certain towns in staging as, sort of gateway towns such as Newport News, Richmond, Louisville. Using those tracks as starting or ending points. Can I assign, say, a coal mine, or coal mines, to one of those staging tracks? Thanks.

ncng
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  09:54:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit ncng's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The simple answer is No. An industry must be located in a town not a yard. Both a yard and an industry are a subset of a town.

However, if the question is can a staging track be the load location or unload location for a shipment, the answer is yes.

On my layout, since I have very few on line load/unload locations, I have most of my shipments loading or unloading in staging yards. For example, a shipment of gasoline to a fuel distributor in Town A is loaded in staging and then sent to the distributor for unloading. A shipment of lumber is loaded at the sawmill in Town B and sent to staging for unloading.

Be aware that cars for loading or unloading in staging don't care which track they go to. If you specify that a car is to be loaded on Staging track #1 and it comes in on a train on track #2, the car will be change to loaded when the train is terminated.

David

Rick F.
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  4:12:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, it's probably easier to do the way you described. Be a lot of work to put 50 coal mines on a staging track! LOL! Thanks.

Rick F.
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/11/2019 :  09:11:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David, I have a two yards next to each other. One is a main yard and the other is an interchange yard. How do I set up a transfer run from Yard A to Yard B. Need to set up a route and a train? I tried to set it up as a looped route Running from A to B back to A. Program would not let me do this. Said I had to have an intermediate town or something like that. Kinda hard to do since both yards are in the same town.

ncng
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/11/2019 :  10:51:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit ncng's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Same question posted and answered in SwitchWithIt (New Install) post.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Switch WIth It Progress Topic Next Topic: Operations on the B&M Eastern Route  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000