Railroad Line Forums - Starting over.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 94 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: Patrick Loves Steam ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Starting over.
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Jefferson State Black Sheep Topic Next Topic: The unofficial BVM Gun Car Build  

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/02/2019 :  12:14:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find my self in a situation where I soon have to tear down my layout due to a house move. That has led me to thinking about the next layout. I started to draw up a list of 'must haves' and 'like to haves'. As well as a 'no no' list.
I thought it would be easy but I think I'm doing my brain in. So I've come here to ask what everyone thinks would be on their list if ever they started again.

Criteria.

ON30.
Room no larger than 20x x12.
Point to point but with a continuous loop for running in locos.
Shelf no wider than 24".
DCC.
Peco track work. (Can be HO as I would bury the sleepers).
Simple mainline with switching opportunities.
No or little grades.
Some hidden storage rather than storing everything on the layout.

OK let's hear what you would add to the above list. I'm not after a track plan.

Bruce

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/02/2019 :  01:06:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

Sounds you are limiting yourself with a shelf layout, or will you have islands that come out from wall? 24" would allow for a reverse loop. but a not a helix. No elevations and no helix limits yourself to a single level layout. I have one and its boring. Make sure have enough outlets, and possibly a single power to the room. If you frequently, think about a modular build. If you don't have existing turnouts from the current layout, think about building them with a fastracks template, Initial cost is not cheap. After about a half dozen turnouts, they start to pay for themselves. and the are very good in the DCC environment,

There a zillion other things to consider and a lot layouts never get built (paralysis by analysis).

Jim

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/02/2019 :  02:29:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jim. I like a shelf layout. But with the right sized room I would have a peninsular of some kind. A reverse loop would be nice but not a 'must have'. Single level as I can't get my brain around the scenery with two levels!!

I forgot to say that lighting would be very important to me and would be installed before anything else was constructed.

hanks for the feed back,

bruce

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/02/2019 :  04:07:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, I look forward to seeing what you come up with. And plenty here will give good advice.
Have you decided on an era and theme as yet?
ie :- Waterfront or backwoods or urban ?

Good luck. We will want plenty of pic too.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/02/2019 :  05:57:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob I'm inclined to keep my current theme. BUT! But I've got this mad crazy idea of some remote island that was settled by the British thus very English countryside. But for financial reasons railroad equipment came from the USA. See! crazy stuff. (Google Chris Nevard).

Keep in mind I don't have a move date yet nor the size of my layout room. So I'm looking to avoid 'gotcha' moments.

Water is yet to be 'poured' in this image.

bruce

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/02/2019 :  08:25:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

This is a fun stage in layout planning, when the sketchpad is blank and pencils are sharp.

What is the main thing you want to accomplish?

Mike

Previous Topic: Jefferson State Black Sheep Topic Next Topic: The unofficial BVM Gun Car Build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000