Railroad Line Forums - Mt. Willard section house.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 2 | Guests: 97 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: Dizzy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Mt. Willard section house.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: HO Layout: Logging at the Turn of the 20th Century Topic Next Topic: Stone Arch Viaduct / Bridge
Page: of 7

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  2:40:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gordon,

Looking at the trackside plan and photo, I think there was a horizontal trim board separating the fish-scale shingle area in the gable from the horizontal siding below. I suspect the same was true for the back. In the photo it appears to be painted the contrasting dark trim color.

In this architectural style the different components and types of siding were given a lot of definition. Plus, such details add to the quaint, folksy look in the model and the real thing. Would it be too much work to add these trim pieces?

Mike

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/12/2019 :  09:44:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
There are trim boards front and back. I had considered leaving them off however I think they really need to be there so I will be adding them.
AND... the fact that you mentioned it only reinforces the idea.

I really appreciate comments so folks don't be shy.

One thing to mention... When I added the turret roofing material and porch roof I spread the glue evenly with my finger before gluing to the subroof. A little more messy and you have to constantly clean your fingers but I feel it works better to get a tight fit.
For the larger roof areas I used dots of glue and while the result is acceptable I would have preferred a tighter fit all across. I may go back and work some glue with black paint mixed in under the roofing material to look like a tar seal... BUT... as has been mentioned sometimes the fix is worse creating more problems.

Gordon

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/12/2019 :  10:30:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gordon,

This has been a great build to follow. I really enjoyed peeking in and watching your progress on it, the back story, fixes, etc. I like that you've been able to relax the perfectionism. It's the old 'autobody shop' problem that we acquire. You see every miniscule area of imperfection, everyone else is blown away with how great it looks. Beautiful model!

Jim

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/12/2019 :  10:35:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Jim said!

Mr. and Mrs. Evans would be pleased! Add in the baseball diamond and the kids will love you, too!

Pete
in Michigan

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/13/2019 :  10:32:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,
That tar seal idea is my perfectionism creeping in again. The roof will remain as is and I will be happy with it.

Gordon

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/13/2019 :  10:40:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pete,
I can see the kids playing catch but not much room for anything else... maybe batting rocks off the side of the mountain into oblivion. They entertained themselves with a lot of hiking and climbing. They could walk the tracks up to Crawfords if they got really bored.

Gordon

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/13/2019 :  11:38:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gordon,

I like what you are doing with this structure and you are doing an excellent job on it. All of your roof angles look superb. Keep up on the great work.

Rich

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/13/2019 :  3:19:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boomer44

Pete,
I can see the kids playing catch but not much room for anything else... maybe batting rocks off the side of the mountain into oblivion. They entertained themselves with a lot of hiking and climbing. They could walk the tracks up to Crawfords if they got really bored.

Gordon

Agreed, but the Mountain Division DVD has images and commentary on the "tiny baseball diamond" the kids built. I'll guess that the kids were pretty young at the time....

Pete
in Michigan

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/13/2019 :  9:40:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rich,
I looked back to page one... coming up on five months... AND ... to me seems like yesterday when I started. I didn't realize I was that slow!!!

Pete,
I just may have to get that DVD.

Gordon

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/13/2019 :  9:50:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gordon,

That DVD has, among other things, a wealth of background information in the photos. Mr. Whitney shot one thing, but a lot of other stuff is captured in the image. This video is well done, nicely narrated, and you get extra points if you can name the introductory theme music. [I can, BTW, but it took some thinking]

Pete
in Michigan

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/14/2019 :  07:09:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks great!

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/14/2019 :  08:06:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boomer44

Thanks Rich,
I looked back to page one... coming up on five months... AND ... to me seems like yesterday when I started. I didn't realize I was that slow!!!

Gordon,

"Slow" is not in the Railroad vocabulary, when you model "Fast", you decrease quality !!

Rich

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/15/2019 :  10:39:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I found out yesterday I will be doing the "Dormers" and not cupolas. There is a difference between the two.
I had already fit the window to the plan and was going to cut the side pieces next to the window individually. After cutting the first piece... wow... this isn't going to work very well.
So...

I cut out a larger piece and fit the window in. Now I can trim to the size I want and have one piece making it much stronger. How easy is that... as I shake my head... "Duh".
I may have to leave a board or two under the window frame on the bottom to get a good fit on the roof which I really don't want to cut into.

Gordon

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/23/2019 :  10:14:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dormer sub assembly is done and ready to put on the roof. I tried to remove a portion of the roofing material to glue the dormer directly to the subroof. It didn't work out very well. I guess I glued on the roofing material better than I thought

SO... I will glue the dormer on the roof using glue with a little black paint added to look like a tar seal around the dormer. This effect does show in a couple of pictures of the section house.
I also added the little canopy above the door which the section crew uses.

Gordon

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/27/2019 :  12:29:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dormers are now on. The tar seal effect worked out really well.

Canopy added and porch glued to the building.

The dormers leaned in slightly which I didn't realize until I went to put the roofs on. Ahhh.
So for recovery I trimmed the ridge line for the roofs at a slight angle so the roofs are level. I ended up putting a crease in the roofing material on the most important dormer...****! Once you put these down they stick really well and don't come off easily.
Well I'm going to live with it for now however I may address this issue at a later time.

Gordon

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: HO Layout: Logging at the Turn of the 20th Century Topic Next Topic: Stone Arch Viaduct / Bridge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000