Railroad Line Forums - Mt. Willard section house.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Mt. Willard section house.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SL&N construction blog Topic Next Topic: Scenery Challenge, camouflage opening
Page: of 5

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/25/2019 :  11:22:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Philip,
Your roof much better than mine.
I confess I cheated on the subroof and filled in the gaps with lightweight spackle and sanded to correct shape.

Gordon

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/28/2019 :  9:44:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time to add the roof(s). Somewhat tricky meeting the roof to the turret roof... OK ... a lot of trickery.

The templates I used and yet not quite good enough.

I found I would have to slide the roof on because of the thickness on my subroof material. So... plane B.

Good so far. The support for the roof ridge between the two side roofs. A lot of cut and fit.

I used a level and they are off. So the roof ridges are not level with each other. Prototype... or I'm off.
Hm... one of those cases to move on... worry about that later.

On to my modelers best friend.

Fill in those gaps.

This looks big but it is really a tiny space to work in.
This is it for today. Once your hands start to shake time to quit.

Gordon

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/29/2019 :  08:39:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
cool !

Love that walk out!
philip

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/29/2019 :  12:23:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What a lot of fussy work! You’re doing an excellent job fitting everything together. The complex roofline contributes a lot to the building’s charm.

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/29/2019 :  9:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fussy is correct. The more I work on the section house I wonder what the designers where thinking of. A pretty ornate building for it's purpose. Distinctive anyways.

Then when you get to the top of the Notch, Crawford's station is a pretty ornate building as well with a turret also. There is a kit for Crawford's but I will pass on that.

Gordon

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/05/2019 :  09:16:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time to add the roofing. The roofing to the turret had to go on first. Once I add the subroof there would be no room to work in that small area. More fussy cutting and fitting but worked out well.

The roof is on.

To get the roof sections even I added a styrene rod to the turret side roof in the grove where the sub room comes together. Added the roof material up to the crest with extra glue on the last one towards the top to stiffen it. Let that dry overnight. Next day the roof caps added. This way I get a nice clean straight edge.

Gordon

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/05/2019 :  09:49:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Gordon,
Great job on a very challenging build!

David Guffey

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2019 :  10:03:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Beautiful model, Gordon. Many neat features. Will there be a horizontal trim board on the back between the upper, two-story section and the lower, basement level?

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/05/2019 :  11:11:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks David. Yep... had to dust out some of those cobwebs and wake up the old brain on doing this... all fun though.

Mike... I'm on the fence for trim board between the basement and first floor. The model at the Littleton Museum doesn't show one. I don't have any pictures of the east/highway side to go by. No drawing for the east side either. The trim board would hide the separation line which does bother me a bit. I'll tape a thin piece of green tape to see if I'm OK adding the trim.

Gordon

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/05/2019 :  3:08:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice roof work, Gordon.

George

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/05/2019 :  5:33:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent job, Gordon. It was a lot of work, but the house came out just right for your scene. The roof was a project in and of itself. Kudos!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2019 :  5:53:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In addition to the practical value of hiding the seam, the trim fits the architectural style of the building. My guess is that the actual building had that trim. I know that the museum doesn’t have it, but it doesn’t look right to me.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/05/2019 :  9:33:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank's guy's... Yes, this took on a life of it's own which I suspected would happen. So far quite happy with the outcome. But... I can see things I would do differently which would put me back into perfectionists mode... drives my wife crazy. I'm never a 100 percent satisfied with what I've done.

Mike... I'm going to add the trim between the basement and first floor... also around the north side and part of the trackside up to the porch. A closer look showed a trim of some sort at the bottom of these walls which had been painted over. The trim will help breakup that very large east/back wall.

On to the copula's next.

Gordon

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  11:34:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I decided to do the easy porch next. That little porch took most of an afternoon to complete. Sometimes you get fooled. I had to notch the roof so it would fit around the shingles. The roof pitch had to come to just under the window sill as the prototype

That little doorway canopy took several tries to get it right also.I have to add some trim support and then that will be done.

Gordon

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  1:07:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good. All the angles made a very interesting roof.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: SL&N construction blog Topic Next Topic: Scenery Challenge, camouflage opening  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000