Railroad Line Forums - Mt. Willard section house.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 92 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Mt. Willard section house.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SL&N construction blog Topic Next Topic: Scenery Challenge, camouflage opening
Page: of 5

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/14/2019 :  12:16:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. A bit of file and fit to get everything just right. I wanted the clapboards to meet correctly... very noticeable if off.

Believe me a sigh of relief I've gotten this far. This building is 15 years in thought and planning.
I'm a former "perfectionist" that suffered from perfection paralysis. You just have to jump in knowing that whatever your doing won't be perfect so just do your best and be happy with it.

Gordon Spalty

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/16/2019 :  07:38:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The turret didn't have the strength I wanted so I laid styrene rod in the grove where the edges came together and glued. Much stronger.
Next was a platform to support the back walls of the turret and roof former.

And here we are now.

Gordon

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/17/2019 :  9:41:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shingles and fancy trim.
This was a P.I.T.A. Tiny pieces for the window to window trim. I had to cut my own as it was easier than trying to find something I could use. Shingles... I used what I had and they matched the other shingles I had on the building. I have Campbell's paper shingles but they look better on an old unkept building which the MEC section house wasn't. MEC kept the section house in good condition right up to the end in 1972.

My inspiration. This is a picture from the 1940's by Frank Clodfelter which I found on the internet. There are others but this was the best example for what I'm trying to do on my railroad layout.

Gordon

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/17/2019 :  9:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Gordon!

Mr. & Mrs. Evans would be pleased.

If you haven't done so, check out the "New England Glory, Mountain Division" DVD that the B&MRRHS put out in the 1990s with Herron Rail Video. The DVD is worth the price, and has wonderful color film of the MEC Mountain Division through The Notch.

https://www.ribbonrail.com/HerronRail/product_info.php?products_id=46&osCsid=8fhalu9e7q3u4iirf98fq94ah6

No financial interest here... just Happy Camper.

Pete
in Michigan

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/17/2019 :  10:33:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pete,
Thanks for the link to the DVD.

Interesting mentioning the Evans family. Reading about them and following links to what became of them almost made them "family". Kind of hard to explain but my build became a tribute to them. I wouldn't want to disrespect them and have a dilapidated building. I wanted a home they would be comfortable and proud living in. Make any sense?

A melancholy old codger after a couple of wines... :)

Gordon

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/18/2019 :  09:53:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gordon,

Makes perfect sense to me. Losing Loring at work on Thanksgiving Day and then living alone up there for thirty or more years has to have been a tough life, especially in the winter. The building colors, IIRC, were standard MEC Grey/Green and the DVD shows them nicely.

The Tribute is well-deserved.

Go for it!

Pete
in Michigan
grumpy old Vet on antibiotics right now

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/18/2019 :  12:30:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shaping up very nicely.

Bob

It's only make-believe

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/24/2019 :  1:20:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The turret and trim is done.

You'll notice in the second picture the roof has had a patch job. Well that is a recovery from green paint splotches on it. I was hand holding the roof while painting the green trim on the bottom and apparently stuck my fingers in some wet paint. Yikes! So I put the roof on an upside down fruit cup and redid the green. Then I refinished the roof by spot painting the goof's and overall light weathering.

Gordon

Edited by - boomer44 on 07/24/2019 1:30:00 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/24/2019 :  1:40:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A most fortuitous mistake, Gordon. I've had one or two of those myself, over time. And I suspect the mistake was accompanied by appropriate language (I know my mistakes certainly are!)

This has been a great build to follow, getting the geometry for a bay and its roof right isn't easy.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/24/2019 :  1:45:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been there, done that, got the Tee-shirt....

Nice recovery, Gordon! Looks good to me!

Pete
in Michigan

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/24/2019 :  10:17:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave and Pete...
after my initial expletive I calmed right down and... "you have screwed up before... you can fix this". Kind of surprised myself. In the end it was all good.

Gordon

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/25/2019 :  09:09:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the turret. We've all been there, but sometimes the "fix" only aggravates the situation.

George

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/25/2019 :  09:15:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Itís looking good, Gordon.

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/25/2019 :  09:58:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guy's.
Been down that road too George. I've had to learn when to stop and move on.

Gordon

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/25/2019 :  11:05:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good! I remember saying every cuss word in the book doing my octagon and it was o scale!

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: SL&N construction blog Topic Next Topic: Scenery Challenge, camouflage opening  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000