Railroad Line Forums - Mt. Willard section house.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: john.l.schooff@gmail.com ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Mt. Willard section house.
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Chuck Diljaks Wyoming Valley Railroad Topic Next Topic: Backdrops
Page: of 2

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  2:00:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Highlights of my "Maine and Western" layout have been scenes of Crawford Notch,New Hampshire where the Maine Central Railroad struggled up through the "Notch" to reach St. Johnsbury,Vermont.
The Mt. Willard section house will be the final signature scene depicting this area.

Most pictures of the section house next to Willey Brook bridge show a tiny building against a huge mountain... Mt.Willard. Well I don't have a huge mountain and the section house is larger than you would expect. Internet search came up with some drawings and a museum model of the section house... upward-concepts.com/rail/evans. Other pictures of Crawford Notch gave me an idea of what the foundation and area looked like past and present. The book "Life by the Tracks" produced other earlier photos and stories about the Evans family who lived there. Little tid-bits of information that helped to set the scene.

This is where I started.

The actual slope were the section house sat is much steeper but would just look funny on the layout so I made do.

The original mock-up of the building was too large for my space so I removed three feet from the length and width yet keeping the height.

The mountain side setting was next. I had to look at quite a few pictures to figure this out.

The stone walls are not the building foundation. In fact there isn't a a foundation under the entire building but just a portion. I copied a picture of the present Mt Willard Section House monument which is a place holder for the building... so I'm prototypical modern day.

I use black foamcore for my building foundations. This is blended into the scenery and permanent. I set my buildings on this so they are removable yet look set into the scenery.

I pondered how to cut the angles for the turret in front. I doubled up on the foundation and used my scale floor plan to cut the angles.

To get rid of the wood grain I spackled the wood foundation and lightly sanded. Painted this looks like stucco over stone.

This is where I'm at now.

Overall scene with foamcore foundation.

The section house is really two houses connected. The roof pitch is different for each. The portion with the turret is the south side and most photographed from the bridge. Most of the time you don't realize there is another "building" connected to it. So I could have just done the turret side building and the section house would still look "right" to most people. Unfortunately I "know the whole story" and can't let it be. The track side gets a porch as well.
A lot of roof lines on the building and those windows are going to be a challenge.

There is a tool shed across the tracks but I don't have room for it. Do I move it over next to the section house or just forget about it? Hm...

Gordon Spalty

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  3:20:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice Gordon.

Do you have the layout plan for the RR and what it looks like overall?

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  7:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Railrunner130's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent start!

In researching the house myself a while back, I was unimpressed with the building. I mean it had an incredible view, but the building itself didn't really stand out for where it was. You'd expect something grand. Of course, it was built by the railroad and was more utilitarian than a grand showpiece of a house. However, what you've got going adds more of a depth and feel to what it was really like and possesses the grandness that should be part of a building of it's stature.

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  10:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rr130,
I was kind of surprised myself when I found out the section house was much bigger then I envisioned. There was a front porch trackside as well. Reading "Life by the Tracks" made the building come alive with the human touch. A nice place to grow up in... Makes you want to do a dignified build... and the building was kept up for its' lifetime.

Gordon

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  05:33:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Following along; I've hiked that area as well as ridden by on Conway Scenic trains.

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  09:54:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See if this works.

Download Attachment: M&W track plan..JPG
78.83 KB

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  10:03:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gordon,

Thatís an interesting and attractive structure. It has nice architectural style. And youíre off to a good start.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  10:48:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have ridden the scenic train as well... nice trip... but you know it always rains in the mountains so....

We did learn a lot about the railroad from the docent as we rode along.

Gordon

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  11:12:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry,
A couple pictures of my layout as you asked. Some a bit dated.

My fiddle yard is on the other side of the backdrop.

Part of my two-footer narrow gauge portion.

Gateway and Girders as of now.

Turn of century(early 1900's) paper mill in background. Bridge is modeled after Bellows Falls but single span and sharper arch... otherwise pretty close. I built that stone by stone.
Wow... I come a long way since those 2015 pictures. Surprised myself.

Gordon

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  11:54:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent modeling, Gordon. Thank you for the photo tour.

Mike

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  12:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If anyone has any ideas on building those fancy windows I'm all ears. I have considered putting in plain generic windows as the viewing distance is pretty far away but I really don't want to do that.

I can ink in the mullen's(?) on clear plastic sheet however I'm afraid they will disappear against black windows. The trim is dark green with grey siding... standard MEC colors for buildings.

Other method is green chart tape cut thin and applied to clear plastic.

No matter what I do it will take some time and LOTS of patience!

Gordon

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  1:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gordon,

Oddly, Tichy has a similar attic window:

https://www.tichytraingroup.com/Shop/tabid/91/c/ho_framed-windows/p/8304-victorian-attic-window/Default.aspx

but not a double hung version. Perhaps you could splice a lower sash if the dimensions are right.

Also, dark mullions would stand out in contrast to simple curtains in living quarters and shades in office areas.

Mike

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  2:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've tried inking mullions, wasn't happy with the result (for the reason you suggest.) But what about printing the window layout (laser/ink-jet) onto clear plastic, and then using that as guides to glue styrene strips for mullions and frames?

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  9:57:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
thanks for the link. I'll check the window measurements. The Tichy windows I have are more like a six over with plain bottom which I had considered. The windows on the section house are several sizes plus a double and a half round. The half round I have and will scratch build the bottom. Then the cupolas front and back which I left off the mock-up building. Lots of fancy windows.

Gordon

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  10:16:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

I've tried inking mullions, wasn't happy with the result (for the reason you suggest.) But what about printing the window layout (laser/ink-jet) onto clear plastic, and then using that as guides to glue styrene strips for mullions and frames?

dave

Dave,
Seems I remember someone doing a similar technique. Print out the drawing... lay clear plastic over the print... scribe the mullions(thanks for the correct spelling... I'm a horrible speller)... and glue tiny rounds to the plastic. Lots of tiny rounds or strips. Not impossible just very time consuming... but I have a lot of that.

Thanks for the memory jogger.

Gordon

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2019 :  10:54:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Nice work. That layout will keep you busy and off the street at nights.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Chuck Diljaks Wyoming Valley Railroad Topic Next Topic: Backdrops  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000