Railroad Line Forums - NWSL Closing
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 NWSL Closing
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: scale test car Topic Next Topic: Modeling the White Deer & Loganton roster  

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  7:38:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure by now you've all read/heard of this event.

Like a ravished school of piranah's, modelers are placing orders worth several hundred dollars each with NWSL. The carcass will be picked clean soon.

Sure, I would like to take inventory and try to purchase the NWSL items I was intending to use later, but right now my hobby funds are committed to the layout construction phase, and I simply can't place a multiple hundreds of dollars. I'll just have to take my chances when the time comes that I need NWSL items.

That brings up this question:

ARE there other options for precision motors of varying dimensions, gears, and such things as supplied by NWSL?

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  8:19:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre,
Mot in the US. But in England yes.
http://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/

But, let's hope someone buys them.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  11:31:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob:

Thanks for that link.

I took a quick look at the page you linked. There seem to be adequate motor selections to fit most hack jobs I'm considering.

However, I did not find any specs for the gear boxes other than ratios. I'm concerned they will not be offered in 1/8" axle diameters, which, as we all know, is the diameter the MDC OT drivers/axles use. (And Mantua and others.)

I'll look the site over more closely at a later time.

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2019 :  12:42:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

Hi Bob:

I took a quick look at the page you linked. T
I'll look the site over more closely at a later time.

Andre

Yes, do that. It's a different format than we're use to nut it has a lot of information on the gearboxes and other products. ON the drivers I noticed that they do offer both 3mm and 1/8" axles. Some British models also use 1/8" axles. one thing to keep in mind is that the Brit's OO also use 4mm to the foot not our 3.5mm to the foot. So make sure you know what size in MM you need for your model and ignore what the site tells you is the driver scale size.

It just make for more fun

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/19/2019 :  5:54:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob:

Thanks much for additonal info. Sounds like I should be okay for my future projects that I hoped to do "someday". I am not going to sweat it concerning the NWSL MDC 72:1 replacement sets. (I think I have 3 of them on hand.) I've made MDC gears work in the past, I can do so again.

However, I'm sure I'll need smaller width motors for some the AHM/Pocher boiler to MDC frame conversions that I also have on the projects list, but I see that HiLevel has those, too!

I may want to go ahead and purchase a "Puller" and "Quarterer" though.

Question: What do you guys use to remove pinions from motors?

All fer now.

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/19/2019 :  7:16:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FWIW:

I didn't see a pinion pulling tool at NWSL, but I went ahead and purchased a Puller (wheels) and a Quarterer for later. Really sucks we're going to likely lose NWSL.

Andre

Previous Topic: scale test car Topic Next Topic: Modeling the White Deer & Loganton roster  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000