Railroad Line Forums - The Blue Ridge Stemwinder in On30
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The Blue Ridge Stemwinder in On30
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: ON30 Mid Hudson Meet Newburgh NY Topic Next Topic: How to remove the cab on the Bachmann Shay
Page: of 3

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/16/2019 :  11:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have wanted to build this layout for a very long time. I have enjoyed On30 for about 10 years now. I have built two mini layouts that have graced the electronic pages of this fine site for quite some time. A sugar cane hauler set in 1920 Haiti and a primitive backwoods logging operation set in 1910 Kentucky and Tennessee.

But the ET &WNC RR ,”Tweetsie” has always held a special place in my model railroading heart. When Bachmann came out with their magnificent Baldwin 10 wheelers I was ready to do a medium sized layout in On30!!

So I moved a storage building in to the backyard and made my move to turn dreams in to reality. I have been reading everything I can on the prototype and joined the ET&WNC RR historical society. I live in Tennessee and Johnson City and the Doe River Gorge is not that far away. So field exploration is in the near future.

I got two of the beautiful locomotives and started to take the plunge in building up rolling stock. Here is my first go at equipment…… the parlor car #10 “Azalea”.

A Bachmann On30 coach provided the donor mechanism and hardware and roof. The very nice laser wooden kit from Deerfield Laser was chosen to build up the coach

I scoured the internet trying to find the colors used on Tweetsie Varnish and used some gloss rattle can paints to do up my rendition.

Well it at least an approximation of the colors I think they used.

I really enjoyed this shot from the prototype photos.....

......so I found some O scale chairs and had a go at recreating the little scene.

Here is a "topside" view of the fabric roof.

The actual layout is still in the planning stages and while rolling stock is accumulated a Porter on the mini logging layout will shuffle cars around for pictures.

So here is what is coming in hopefully the near future:

Iain Rice's nifty book "Shelf Layouts for Model Rail Roads has this plan for the ET&WNC in On30 that should fit nicely in the storage building out back.

So thanks for looking and hopefully you all can follow along as this adventure begins.

Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/18/2019 :  10:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My latest creation for the upcoming On30 ET&WNC layout is one of Tweetsie’s iconic wooden hopper cars. My modeling buddy Bill Nelson scratch built the wooden body. I went to work adding detail parts, grabs, stake pockets , wheels and couplers. Here is the model in primer gray.

Next steps will be to follow the prototype and paint and letter the car. The original used a mixture of lampblack, linseed oil and japan drier to get the dark gray/black color. This according to the good folks in the ET&WNC Historical Society.

Thanks for looking.

Doc Tom

Edited by - Grabnet on 04/18/2019 10:08:17 PM

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2019 :  10:25:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have enjoyed looking at the prototype pictures and I wish I had your kind of room for a layout.
I will be following up later.

Rich

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2019 :  11:38:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice Tom.

I'll be following your adventure!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/19/2019 :  07:08:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent!

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/19/2019 :  08:18:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

I have enjoyed looking at the prototype pictures and I wish I had your kind of room for a layout.
I will be following up later.

Rich

Thanks Rich. It took 40 years but finally convinced the domestic authorities that we needed a proper train house outback.

It was built by local Mennonite carpenters.
Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/19/2019 :  08:20:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Very nice Tom.

I'll be following your adventure!!

Thanks Jerry. All comments and ideas will be welcome during the upcoming build.

Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/19/2019 :  08:23:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rick

Excellent!

Thanks Rick. It is a treat for me to be publishing in the On30 section of this very nice website. Been in the mini/micro layout section for awhile, but now feel I have hit the "Big Show."

Doc Tom

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/19/2019 :  10:58:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic thoughts and ideas Tom. Love that new train house, you can do a lot with that, and I'm looking forward to your progress. What size is that shed, I was unable to use the plan to figure out the shed size, I'm thinking 10' x 20' maybe.
Also, just a thought for you to consider, to have more usable layout space, if you change the shed doors to open out, instead of in, it will keep the inner space clear of a swing in type door in the way. Just my opinion here.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 04/19/2019 :  8:35:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a nice sized space. Hope you post lots of progress pictures. I will be following along.

Roland

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/20/2019 :  05:00:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow! ~mike

You can follow my construction of the logging camp kitchen: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47400&whichpage=1 and the dining hall at http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50236

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/20/2019 :  07:51:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You’re off to a good start with a plan, a building, and some models. I’m looking forward to watching the tweetsie rebuild.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/20/2019 :  07:57:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A nice empty canvas.
I like the idea of the doors opening out.

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 04/20/2019 :  08:20:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom, I think it's great that you're modeling the ET&WNC, a railroad that is rarely modeled. The "Azalea" and the gon look terrific! And who wouldn't want to have a separate building for their layout? I'll be following along fer sure.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/20/2019 :  10:36:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

Fantastic thoughts and ideas Tom. Love that new train house, you can do a lot with that, and I'm looking forward to your progress. What size is that shed, I was unable to use the plan to figure out the shed size, I'm thinking 10' x 20' maybe.
Also, just a thought for you to consider, to have more usable layout space, if you change the shed doors to open out, instead of in, it will keep the inner space clear of a swing in type door in the way. Just my opinion here.

Thank you Louis for posting the layout plan from Ian Rice. Where did you find it ? It sure beats the "scanned copy" I did from the book with all my scratching and doodles.

The train shed is 12'X 24' and part of it is being shared with my wife Kit for her gardening equipment.

Good idea about reversing the opening of the doors so they swing outward.

Thanks for all the advice and help.

Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/20/2019 :  10:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Roland, Mike, Michael,Rick and Slim Rails. Really appreciate the + feedback.

I am from East Tennessee and this shortline has always fascinated me. I also have never really modeled passenger cars and this layout will let me do several. In the era I am modeling 1920-23 the ET& WNC RR had some incredible passenger cars with ornate interiors and vestibule ends for the comfort of the many tourists and visitors to the mountains of East Tennessee

Thanks again for looking and hopefully many more pictures to come.

Doc Tom

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: ON30 Mid Hudson Meet Newburgh NY Topic Next Topic: How to remove the cab on the Bachmann Shay  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000