Railroad Line Forums - Six Axles Locomotives Hesitate Through a Turnout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 76 ]  [ Total: 80 ]  [ Newest Member: John Prizzi ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Six Axles Locomotives Hesitate Through a Turnout
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: LAJ Switching Layout  

Greg@mnrr
Section Hand

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  12:30:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an Atlas #6 Custom Line turnout and several of my six axle diesels stall when traveling thought the turnout. I checked the following areas:

- Locomotives: Wheels in gauge, trucks swing freely, the trucks' sideways play is fine and no hanging coupler glad hands.

- Turnout: No ballast or debris in the frogs, all clearances were checked with an NMRA gauge and rails were polished.

Still the locos will hesitate and then continue on through the turnout.

Any ideas.

Thanks.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  1:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If youíve eliminated purely mechanical causes then you want to look at electrical, such as a brief loss of contact or a brief short. Are you using DC or DCC?

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  1:13:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, Is there any 'crud' between the closure rails and the stock rails? Without 'buggering up' your turnout run the tip of your #11 X-Acto blade between them in both the open and closed position. (Of course with power off) Be careful not to 'knick' any of the wiring.

Jim

Edited by - BurleyJim on 03/15/2019 1:22:18 PM

Greg@mnrr
Section Hand

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  1:22:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am operating on DCC. What makes this so strange is that a four axle diesel runs through without any problems.

I'll check the closure and stock rails for electrical contact.

Thanks

Greg

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  3:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Do locos slow down in both direction? Both normal (straight) or diverging routes?

Mike

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  5:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Does the headlight go off and on during this stall? Or, does it look like a bind?

Jim

Greg@mnrr
Section Hand

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  5:35:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim:

The locomotive's headlight dims or goes off for a few time. This happens only when doing the normal route.

This happens only in one direction.

Greg

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  6:11:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, take your voltmeter and measure the voltage between the rails on the side of the frog, and the normal route. Set your meter for AC volts and you are looking for around 16 volts without a locomotive on the track. If you are reading 0 volts, you may have a joiner that is not making contact with the 'fed' rails. If you do measure 0 volts, you might also look at adding a feeder drop at that end of the turnout.

Jim

PM sent

Greg@mnrr
Section Hand

Posted - 03/17/2019 :  10:13:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim & Mike:

The turnout that was giving troubles now is working fine and I didn't do a thing to the track. One thing was the temperature was 64 degrees when all the problems occurred and now the temperature is a toasty 68 degrees. A thermal condition causing some expansion or contraction within the turnout or a loose feeder wire?

Jim, I'll check the voltage next time it happens. There are feeder wires on every turnout's diverting routes.

Thanks.

Greg

PS: I ran a locomotive for two hours again yesterday and no problems.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2019 :  10:46:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Yes, sounds weather-related. Glad youíre back to having fun.

The problem will return the next time you are showing your layout to visitors. Itís one of those laws of physics.

Mike

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2019 :  4:23:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
agree Greg it sounded like you have needed to put the feeders on the normal route.

Greg@mnrr
Section Hand

Posted - 03/19/2019 :  10:37:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim: I have feeders on all ends of the turnout, but I'll do checking of the suit case connectors that I used. If one failed, that would be the first time that one did.

Thanks.

Greg

Topic Next Topic: LAJ Switching Layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000