Railroad Line Forums - Steel rail
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Steel rail
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bachmann Porter Dead Rail Conversion Topic Next Topic: Bachmann shay replacement gears
Page: of 2

leftyfretguy
New Hire

Posted - 03/10/2019 :  9:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,
My son finally got his first locomotive (0-4-2 Porter). We will be starting construction of his layout shortly. The layout will be a 3'x5' loop with 2 sidings. Budget is an issue. We have ho scale steel rail. I have heard that rust can be an issue with steel rail. Is this going to be a major regret later on or will we have to clean the rail a little more often (probably not too time consuming considering the small size of the layout.
Any thoughts opinions etc would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2019 :  9:38:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think you should be ok unless you live in high humidity. What you want to avoid is brass.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 03/10/2019 9:52:26 PM

leftyfretguy
New Hire

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  07:46:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have no air conditioning so his room is humid in the summer with windows open and a humidifier running in the winter. The track has sat around the house for probably 25-30 years and has no rust but it's never been used.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  09:36:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would toss it myself and use nickel silver track instead. We had a loop of steel track on a HO display layout at the museum which is climate controlled and we had to clean it every two weeks. The nickel silver has been in place for a little over a year and has never been cleaned.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  09:49:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've never had to use steel rail. If budget allowed, I'd do as Mike says. If budget doesn't, look around at people's different track cleaning ideas. Those that leave a thin film of some sort of oil on the rail might keep the rust away. Cleaning with alcohol or other solvents would probably remove the factory oil which seems to be still protecting your old rail.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  10:39:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you're going to invest money and time on a layout I wouldn't skimp on the very basic ingredient of a layout . . . track. Go nickel silver.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  11:04:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with Frank on this subject. Poor track will be a kill joy for any model railroader. You will start right out of the gate with disappointment and aggravation.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  3:49:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It doesn’t sound like your steel rail will be a problem with reasonable care. I use Rail-Zip to clean my track, which leaves some oil behind. It’s a good idea to clean track every so often to keep crud off your equipment’s wheels, especially locomotive drivers.

Meanwhile, you’ve made an investment. You can always change some day if you modify or expand your layout.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 03/11/2019 3:51:34 PM

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  5:39:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a reason why steel is no longer used. If it was me I would replace it otherwise it may well kill your enjoyment of the hobby quicker than anything else.

bruce

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/13/2019 :  01:43:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Matt -

Whether you plan to power things with DC or DCC, steel is not your best choice. I have some experience with steel rail - ages ago - in a cold, humid setting. It will rust. That is a natural occurrence for steel, moisture and oxygen. Rust is not a good conductor. Oxidized nickle-silver is a better conductor. One of the most frustrating things for loco operators of all ages is to see their loco stutter down the track due to poor power pickup. Short wheelbased locos are even more sensitive to conductivity issues. Others have said it, and I agree with them, go for the nickle-silver track.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2019 :  08:16:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
During the Korean war there was a shortage of brass, so Atlas switched to steel for their track and advertised it as being good because it was the prototype material. When the war ended and brass was again available, Atlas immediately switched back to brass with the headline in their ad "Bass is Back".

Now the metal of choice is nickel-silver. So, you can see where steel is in the hierarchy of track metals.

George

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2019 :  08:52:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2019 :  08:59:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Frank at least steel made it into the top 10!

leftyfretguy
New Hire

Posted - 03/13/2019 :  4:02:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I'll be purchasing track. Next question, where is the cheapest nickel silver flex track online? Is there a big price difference between ho and on30? And I do not have the patience to hand lay track!
Thanks again,
Matt

Edited by - leftyfretguy on 03/13/2019 4:03:58 PM

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/13/2019 :  5:50:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have a look on ebay. There's not much that can go wrong with track so it should be a good gamble. Set track may be the easy route for you. Ballast will hide HO sleepers.

bruce

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2019 :  8:30:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Matt,

Bruce made a good suggestion about looking on eBay. I think I would search out some online retailers to get an idea of cost, especially HO vs On30, so that you will recognize a true bargain.

My first serious layout was a lapped oval about 3 1/2 by 5 feet that I built when I was in junior high. I had a lot of fun with it despite a general lack of funds.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Bachmann Porter Dead Rail Conversion Topic Next Topic: Bachmann shay replacement gears  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000