Railroad Line Forums - Painting Brass
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 124 ]  [ Total: 125 ]  [ Newest Member: john.l.schooff@gmail.com ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Painting Brass
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Car Capacity  

GNMT76
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/07/2019 :  11:33:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does brass require any special prep prior to painting or "take" one type of paint (e.g., water- or oil-based) better than another? I've never used brass before and am expecting delivery of Tomar's Hayes bumpers soon. If yes on either or both counts, details appreciated.

Thanks.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 03/07/2019 :  12:00:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
many people will tell you that you can't paint brass with acrylic, but I have done it for years, it's all I use. with anything you paint you need to make sure it is clean first. if they are solid brass dip them in some lacquer thinner and scrub a little to loosen the grease and dirt. After that I would sand blast, if you don't have a sand blaster just prime it with some Dupli-color etching primer (get it at an auto part store). top coat with whatever you like after that. For the record, I have skipped the etching printer and it all seems to work fine. I have three brass steam locomotives that I have just painted acrylic on and they are working out just fine.

Paint is paint, it's all in the prep.

GNMT76
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/07/2019 :  12:31:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Coaltrain!

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/07/2019 :  9:19:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you have blackening solution (web search makes me think my bottle of Hobby Black is now an orphan), it's worth using on brass that will get worn & chipped (bumpers, pilots, steps etc.). Acetone or another paint stripper will get it clean, then paint the blackener on till it's fairly dark. Then wash, dry and apply your finish paint. It etches the surface a bit, so it will be harder to chip or scratch, and the blackened metal will make chips & scratches less visible.

rlundy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  12:11:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use an autobody pre-cleaner first on the bare metal. It gets rid of fingerprints, grease, oil, dust and anything else. Then a very thin coat of etch primer and the paint. Doesn't matter on type of paint, but I use acrylic because of easy cleanup and no smell. Coaltrain and jbvb do it the same way, just with different products. Main thing is to clean the bare metal and etch prime before you paint. The etch prime works best if applied in a thin see through coat. This is when you get the best paint adhesion.

GNMT76
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  12:04:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, gentlemen.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2019 :  12:23:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thatís good to know since I want to paint brass some day too

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Topic Next Topic: Car Capacity  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000