Railroad Line Forums - Programming Issues
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 69 ]  [ Total: 74 ]  [ Newest Member: John Prizzi ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 DCC, Computers and Electronics for Model Railroads
 Programming Issues
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Wiring Headlights for Decoder with only DC  

Greg@mnrr
Section Hand

Posted - 03/03/2019 :  5:30:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I have a Digitrax system with a DB 150 and various throttles from a DT402 down the the UT2's. The system runs fine when running trains but when switching to programming the track indicator lights on the Loco Panels do not show power. The throttles a display as normal and show to be active and the programming track shows power going to the tracks when tested. But, no communications between the throttle(s) and the programming track.

The track power indicator lights on the LocoNet Panels is dark when in Programming mode, but work when running trains.

No matter what I do the locomotive on he programming track will not respond nor will the track power indicator lites on the LocoNet panels light up.

The locoNet panel lights all work fine when running trains.

I changed DB 150 units and had no change. I have DPDT toggle switch that I can switch from the layout track power to the separate programming track.

This is confusing problem that nothing in the Digitrax website or manuals addresses.

The programming track work fine a week ago and I haven't done any work on the wiring to cause a problem.

Thanks.

Greg

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2019 :  6:21:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has it ever worked differently? Are you possibly troublehooting 'normal' operation?

Given that you swapped out the DB150 with no change, you can basically rule out the Digitrax side of this problem. My next step would be to disconnect the wires to your programming track at the DB150 end, then with all power off, check for a 'short' between the rails of the programming track. Can you draw a schematic of your wiring, (including how you wired the DPDT switch).

Jim

Edited by - BurleyJim on 03/03/2019 9:38:26 PM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  10:57:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is hard to pinpoint a problem when we are not there, just a bunch of guesses from what we are told.
So from what you say, I can only say that the outputs of the PROG A and PROG B terminals normally have no voltage present, and cannot run trains (probably why you see no light at the panel). When actually programming, there are flashes of voltage up to around 12 Volts put out. Digitrax decoders commonly use a service mode programming called Paged Mode Programming. (are you using Paged Mode)? Is your DPDT switch faulty. Test, by bypassing the DPDT to your program track. Just a few starters to check on.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Greg@mnrr
Section Hand

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  11:21:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim & Louis:

I have using this Programming Track for over 10 years and havn't encountered any problems. Here's brief description of what I'm finding:

-The Track Power at the LocoNet panel are dark.
-The DT402 throttle will not go into programming mode.

What I've found so far....

-The DPDT toggle switch checks out ok no short and makes contact as it should in the two on positions.
-I have power on the programming track at the same voltage as what's at the DB150
-DT402 will not enter programming mode.
-Trains on the layout will operate normally when the DPDT toggle is in the layout position and all LocoNet Panel track indicators are operating.
-Checked the programming track for shorts...none found.

I never had this problem before.....

Greg@mnrr
Section Hand

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  12:05:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now when I program at the DB 150, the DT402 will enter programming mode, but when I do program, the display goes dead. The Green indicator light on the DB 150 is flashing to indicate that the DB 150 is in a programming mode.

I need to turn off the DB 150 and back on again to regain the display on the DB 402.

Greg

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  12:28:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, did you 'measure' the resistance with your multimeter? Did you measure it with the DPDT switch in both positions with the wires at the DB150 removed? I'm still leaning toward a 'short' causing this problem. Switches do go bad.

Jim

Greg@mnrr
Section Hand

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  2:30:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim: I checked the resistance of the toggle switch in all positions and they checked out ok. I even checked the wiring from the toggle to the programming track and that is ok also.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  4:34:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, you have been using the DT402 throttle, did you try another throttle to rule out a defective DT402?

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Greg@mnrr
Section Hand

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  4:48:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just as the problem appeared, it disappeared. The only thing I did was try an older UT-2 Digitrax throttle after using the 400 and 300 series throttles and this older unit did do programming. After that the 400 worked fine.

Digitax wasn't much of a help and used their standard line "Send it in for repairs if that didn't work" or in so any words. It maybe just the person I was dealing with and I would get a better,more detailed response from another Digitrax employee.

Thanks, Jim and Louis for your help. Hope I can help you guys in some way in the future.

Thanks.

Edited by - Greg@mnrr on 03/04/2019 4:49:42 PM

Topic Next Topic: Wiring Headlights for Decoder with only DC  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000