Railroad Line Forums - Louís Roundhouse MDC Climax Project
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 73 ]  [ Total: 77 ]  [ Newest Member: John Prizzi ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Louís Roundhouse MDC Climax Project
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Slater Creek Railway
Page: of 8

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 03/03/2019 :  10:41:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This Roundhouse MDC Climax has been build and kit bashed by many modelers, and most all changed out their motive power using the Bachmann 44 Ton Locomotive chassis, a good fit, and a much better running DCC friendly alternative. The first Climax had an old open frame type motor that sounded more like a bad running coffee grinder, or jet liner taking off. My Climax came with a newer dual-magnet motor, but still not the greatest of choices.
Articles from Dean Kershner - Geared Steam ďImproving the MDC ClimaxĒ http://gearedsteam.blogspot.com/2009/09/mdc-boxcab.html , Alex Belida ďKeeping The Dream AliveĒ and, an Article in the December 1982 Model Railroader called ďA touch of realism for MDCís ClimaxĒ by Gregory G. Keutzer are real inspirations, and excellent articles on how-to make these great looking, and running locomotives. Dean Kershner also has great information on a sound decoder installation.
Pictures of the Climax and MDC Body using the 44 Ton Chassis are pictured below (first picture) by Bob Boudreau, Forum member (railphotog) and (Second picture) by Alex Belida. The next two Climax pictures, 3 & 4, are of Dean Kershnerís Ė Geared Steam, and a Climax by Jackís modelling.
I especially like Bobís example for my project, because he lowered the locomotive boiler as per the Model Railroader article suggestion. Making it look so much more prototypical. Plus, it is hands down a great looking Climax build, weathered and super detailed.
Starting off with my project I have the Roundhouse MDC Climax Kit #02770 undecorated model, a DCC ready Bachmann 44 Ton chassis, and a Bachmann 44 Ton shell, that I had cleaned off the D&RGW lettering, and made it decaled with an L&R logo. The D&RGW original shell looked like the inset picture in the right lower corner. I thought if I was going to mutilate a 44 Ton shell, than this was the one to sacrifice.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 03/03/2019 :  11:29:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I canít wait for the crescendo of posts as this project eventually reaches itís CLIMAX!!! Iím out of breath.....

Done right this project does look like a great model as seen in Louís example photos.

Karl Scribner
HMFWBIC
Kentucky Southern Railway
and associated lines
Midwest Lower Michigan

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2019 :  12:32:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like an interesting project to follow, Louis. However, if we have to put up with Karl's puns...

George

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 03/03/2019 :  2:09:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

if we have to put up with Karl's puns...

George

Wonít it be punderful?

Karl Scribner
HMFWBIC
Kentucky Southern Railway
and associated lines
Midwest Lower Michigan

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2019 :  2:40:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George, Have mercy on Karl, he's been in a snowstorm for the past 6 months.

Lou, this one will be another tutorial.

Jim

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 03/03/2019 :  2:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys, and keep the puns coming Karl, it will keep me on track!

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 03/03/2019 :  2:51:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Out comes the cutting tools, and re-designing the 44 Ton shell to be able to slip into the shell of the MDC Climax. This is so the Climax shell will eventually be able to mount onto the 44 Ton frame/chassis. Below drawing will explain what Iíll be doing to the Bachmann 44 Ton shell for use in this next step.

Louis

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/03/2019 :  3:58:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wonderful looking project, Louis. A real shell game you have going.

Mike

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2019 :  4:55:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another great build on the way, Louis. I'll be following along with your usual detailed progress.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  11:01:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike and Russ, glad to have you both following along.

Louis

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  11:48:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, you must be on some sort of modelling steroids or something!
Were your 3 previous builds like modeling fore play?
Now ending with this climax!
Will we all have a cigarette when your finished?

Greg Shinnie

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  1:21:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Louis, you must be on some sort of modelling steroids or something!
Were your 3 previous builds like modeling fore play?
Now ending with this climax!
Will we all have a cigarette when your finished?

Greg Shinnie

You are a master at word play Greg. I've got to hand it to you, you out did yourself this time.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  1:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I powered up the shop band saw and made the cuts needed for the Bachmann HO scale 44 Ton shell, to be able to slip into the Roundhouse MDC Climax shell. Starting with un-clipping four (4) tabs that hold the 44 Ton cab to the body (See picture below). Once these tabs are un-clipped, the cab simply lifts off of the body. The cuts to the 44 Ton shell require removing the two (2) hoods from both ends of the 44 Ton shell about midway. Then, just enough stock from the sides of the 44 Ton are removed/shaved away to be able to slip up the 44 Ton base into the Climax shell, keeping the 44 Ton footboards intact. Following along with the pictures provided, you can see the cuts made and the finished results. The 44 Ton cuts were luckily a success and fits perfectly. All Iíll need to do now is file the cuts smooth, removing the rough cut plastic, and then glue the now cut 44 Ton base onto the inside of the Climax.

Louis

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  3:26:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So, I guess one measure of success is that you canít see anything.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  4:22:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

So, I guess one measure of success is that you canít see anything.

Mike - ???????

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  4:26:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On to the next progression of cuts for lowering the Climax boiler for a better prototype appearance, and the fuel bunker plastic wood tent top to replace with real logs. The picture below shows the two (2) cuts that are needed to separate the boiler section from the cab, and then cutting in-between the second and third horizontal boards, on both sides to lower the boiler section, then Iíll need to re-glue the newly cut down boiler section back onto the body/cab section. Also, cutting off the top of the fuel bunker plastic wood tent, and discarding it so that real logs can be used in its place.

Louis

Page: of 8 Topic Next Topic: Slater Creek Railway  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000