Railroad Line Forums - Thursday LUNCH is on the table
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 114 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: RLJones ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Thursday LUNCH is on the table
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Videos - Slide Shows Topic Next Topic: 5 minutes of hi-res fun!  

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  12:46:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, everyone passed over for breakfast so I'll make up a lunch.

What we have on the fair is some ham slices and cheese grilled between two slices of bread. Some Ruffles potato chips, the baked kind and a couple of gerkin pickles. Well that what Mary and I had and it's all I'm putting on the counter.

I have my Epilog Helix 60 watt laser system listed for sale on the Epilog website. I've had a LOT of tire kickers but no offers yet. Everyone wants a Cadillac in super shape for the price of a well used Toyota it seems. I'll be listing it on eBay come Saturday. Not going to give it away as it's a real clean and well running machine.

Busy in the garage this afternoon assembling up a support frame I made to hold the new rack mounted computer. I'll fasten that to the underside of the wing on my desk. Even at that it sticks out the front 7 inches. Only thing I can do to compensate is to move the desk away from the wall and let it hang out the back.

Well, Everyone have a FUN and SAFE day in the Sunny but COLD Train Yard.
Walt

In the Crossroads of America.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  3:01:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grey with a short peek at Sol today. Getting a battery test done on the old Buick I aquired from my mothers stuff. The Doll is helping me with massive cleaning.

Legal work muddling along.

Probably no hobby time, again, today.

Hope all are well.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Edited by - k9wrangler on 02/28/2019 3:02:48 PM

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  3:05:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for opening up the lounge Walt. I had an early appointment this morning, and didn't stop in to put on the coffee. We all know Rule #1 - Make coffee. Rule #2 Don't forget/ ignore Rule#1. So I'll fire up the urn with some Railbender blend.

Well, if I was 10 years younger, I'd be interested in that laser. But you;re on the button with the Cadillac/Toyota (I'd say KIA) example. Everyone thinks you should work for free, and that their time is more valuble than yours.

Can't you mount that computer vertically? The keyboard and monitor are probably standalone anyway. Probably need some good ventilation around that rack mount. About a 20 ton AC unit ought to do it.

Jim

Take the red pill

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  3:45:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Thanks for opening up the lounge Walt. I had an early appointment this morning, and didn't stop in to put on the coffee. We all know Rule #1 - Make coffee. Rule #2 Don't forget/ ignore Rule#1. So I'll fire up the urn with some Railbender blend.

<snip
Jim

Well, Jim, you almost got it right. My first job as a kid had me working for a retired Navy Chief petty officer on the Line Crew at a small airport. As "Open Up Man" one fine day, I rolled in early, found a customer pounding at the door and in a state of high gudgeon because he wanted his airplane fueled and he wanted it right NOW!. So I dealt with him and he went on his merry way. By the time I got back to the Line Shack the Chief was in, it was after 0700 and I had neither made coffee nor punched in. Let's just say that he "counseled" me and I will never forget that Step One is Punch In, Step Two is Make Coffee, and Step Three is Then, and Only Then, provide customer service.

Peace!

Pete
in Michigan

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  3:58:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, this is a rack mount computer. Only 3" high but 17" wide and 27" deep. It weighs in at over 75 pounds. Has dual 750 watt power supplies can also handle 16 hard drives in the machine all hot swapable on the front panel. Oh, and it can handle 192 GB of memory. Sort of a heavy duty TANK.

I've got the mounting rack build and install under my desk. I'm going to add two front legs so it doesn't try to flip when the the unit is fully extended on the rails. I'd just like to get this up and running and behind me so I can do some real work. I retired from the IT field and don't need to go back. [laugh]

Walt

In the Crossroads of America.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  4:38:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Walt, watch out for heat dissipation. A friend has a server rack, and his cable modem overheats if he puts it in the rack.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Previous Topic: Videos - Slide Shows Topic Next Topic: 5 minutes of hi-res fun!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000