Railroad Line Forums - Rebuilding my T&P layout HO scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 69 ]  [ Total: 73 ]  [ Newest Member: John Prizzi ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Rebuilding my T&P layout HO scale
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Laser cut layout modules in North America Topic Next Topic: Mt. Willard section house.  

txdyna65
Section Hand

Posted - 02/17/2019 :  8:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reposting since my other thread disappeared.
Im rebuilding my HO layout and wanted a place to post pics and progress and get help that I know I'll ask for and need. My building is 30 X 15 and just for my trains. Below is my track plan. My last layout the table were too wide and hard to work on. This time around The widest table is 42" but I have access on all sides. I also wanted a turntable and a yard and be able to run trains, so I made 2 mainlines. If anyone sees problems with my track plan, would love to hear it. Ive only built a few tables so I can still change the track plan somewhat if need be.

Kenny

txdyna65
Section Hand

Posted - 02/17/2019 :  8:49:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For some reason I couldnt add to that post, so here is what I have done so far. The turntable is a Walthers 110' and the roundhouse is also Walthers. This layout is DCC and I have an NCE Power Cab pro R.
The tables will have 2" foam on them except where the turntable is, I plan on putting thin cork in this area, and regualr midwest cork for mainlines. Most of my curves are 30 deg radius, with a couple being 24 deg. All turnouts are #6 except in the yard, those are peco #5.

Rick created a monster when he helped me post pics.

Kenny

txdyna65
Section Hand

Posted - 02/19/2019 :  03:22:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot to add my progress picture of my 300 ton coaling tower. Im not sure I like the color of the NBW in the pic, but they look good in person, to me at least.

Kenny

txdyna65
Section Hand

Posted - 02/22/2019 :  01:40:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got more done to the coaling tower, now for the hard stuff, building the walkways and stairs. I do have a question. The stair treads are made of lead or metal and it calls for adding the wood steps.
What glue would I use for this and does anyone have any tips for keeping these lined up while gluing all those steps on?

I will weather the roof later, just pics of the progress so far.

Kenny

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2019 :  4:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I usually glue wood to metal with Walthers Goo. Lead can be tricky with ACC (Crazy Glue etc) because lead oxidizes.

Regarding your track plan, if you wanted it to be easy to operate as two more-or-less parallel railroads, you could replace the two connecting tracks with a crossover at each end of the yard. If both mains will be T&P all the time, this is less important.

txdyna65
Section Hand

Posted - 03/10/2019 :  12:36:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put together a couple of these Tichy kits while I was waiting on glue to dry on another project. I picked up 20 of these for $5 apiece at a train show in colorado last month. I think they will go good with my new coaling tower.

Kenny

txdyna65
Section Hand

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  12:56:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally laid some track today. The coaling tower is just set in place. My plan calls for another turnout after the turnout at the bottom of the pic with another track going to the far left of the coaling tower going to the turntable as an outgoing as well. Is this the way it is done? I have another track going to the turntable that will be located to the right and a little up that is incoming to the turntable.
The middle track is to back coal hoppers in and unload in to the pit under the center which I dont have installed yet. Is this all the way it works?

Kenny

Edited by - txdyna65 on 03/11/2019 01:58:44 AM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  09:41:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You've got it right about the coaling tower. RRs usually tried to have two tracks to the turntable, one mostly inbound with the ash pit, cleaning rack, etc.

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/25/2019 :  08:54:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kenny,
Do you plan on operating from both sides of the peninsula? Will you have a duck under..or.. lift section?

Gordon Spalty

Previous Topic: Laser cut layout modules in North America Topic Next Topic: Mt. Willard section house.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000