Railroad Line Forums - Louís Roundhouse 3 in 1 Log/Lumber Cars
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 133 ]  [ Total: 134 ]  [ Newest Member: Coaltower ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Louís Roundhouse 3 in 1 Log/Lumber Cars
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Slater Creek Railway
Page: of 4

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  2:39:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, but yes I'm going to bore you with yet another Roundhouse MDC 3 in 1 kit. This time being logging equipment cars.
I researched this Roundhouse 3 in 1 kit build online, and found a build review by Frederick Boucher. He had a great build (first picture below of his two cars) one being a log car, and the other as a lumber car, along with an outstanding information review of this kit. Also, is another set of pictures (second picture) for you to see, the kit as built by MRCHQ Custom Models. (Iíll be using their idea for L&R Logo and car number placement). Last picture being a model from an unknown modeler of the Roundhouse log car with logs and chain.
The following post will be the project kit used, and my planned ideas for this build. I hope you will follow along.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  3:36:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW Louis... I will follow along for sure. You couldn't ask for a better review than to find one from Fred. He is a good friend of mine.
And you are going to do this build with justice, I am sure to learn a few tricks from watching your build. Thanks for sharing your talent with us.

Rich

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  4:03:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An interesting repurposed use for Roundhouse MDC Old Timer tank car frames

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  4:30:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These projects are cool, Lou. Looking forward for inspiration for my procrastination.

Karl Scribner
HMFWBIC
Kentucky Southern Railway
and associated lines
Midwest Lower Michigan

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  4:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

WOW Louis... I will follow along for sure. You couldn't ask for a better review than to find one from Fred. He is a good friend of mine.
And you are going to do this build with justice, I am sure to learn a few tricks from watching your build. Thanks for sharing your talent with us.

Rich

Thank you Rich! and yes, Fred did a very interesting build review on these cars, and a fine job putting them together. This is another of my old storage shelf kits that needed to be put together, and Fred gave me that inspiration to do so.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  5:02:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

An interesting repurposed use for Roundhouse MDC Old Timer tank car frames

Yea Bill, these Roundhouse kits were by far a good choice for back in the day scratch builders. I still today enjoy that more than any RTR equipment, no matter how much better they look today. A lot of the rolling stock is old kits called "Re-tooling" and a heck of a lot more bucks.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  5:03:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by k9wrangler

These projects are cool, Lou. Looking forward for inspiration for my procrastination.

Thanks Karl for following along once again with my projects.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  5:05:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the Roundhouse 3 in 1 kit we will be constructing the logging equipment cars with. It comes with parts for three (3) 26í Old timer tank cars, without the tanks, and a length of chain to be made into logging or lumber cars.
In the early days Roundhouse MDC was overwhelmed with requests for spare parts for scratch building and kit bashing. This was the reason that Roundhouse eventually issued kits of three cars packaged together with multiple instruction sheets allowing modelers to build different cars from one kit. Hence the 3 in 1 line kits. A good thing for kit bashers was these kits always had plastic sprues with parts for other car building, so your spare parts box would become fuller with useful parts for other builds.
The metal frames used for the log cars makes them impressive pullers, and a good weight to stay on track. This kit lets you make-up logging buggies, or lumber cars.
Iím going to make-up one Logging car with logs cut from real branches, one Logging car with no logs, and one Lumber car with my own strip wood built lumber load.
After looking over and reading the instructions of this 3 in 1 kit, these logging cars can be ready for paint in just a little over an hour after opening the box. This should be a quick project to build for anyone. Most of the time will be spent cleaning up the metal frame flash with files, and then some work modifying the running board platform with a hobby knife to fit onto the metal frame, for use as a lumber car. You will see as we build this log car, and lumber car, you can make yourself one of these just using a Roundhouse 26í old timer tank car kit.
Iíll be installing Kadee #148 whisker couplers in place of the kit horn hook type couplers, and my preferred choice of InterMountain wheels.
The last picture is the cars, put together as from the box parts provided, with original wheels and horn hook couplers.

Louis

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  5:40:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, I'll be following once again, your well ducumented log of this project.

Greg Shinnie

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  5:44:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WOW Louis. Another project yepieee.

I have a bunch of those frames form the tank car kits laying around. I never thought the tanks looked good on those frames. I'll definitely be following along.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  6:11:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Louis,

Nice. This build is going to be done almost before it starts if you continue at this rate.

The shape of the horn hook couplers always reminds me of a duck-billed dinosaur. They also went extinct.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  6:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Louis, I'll be following once again, your well ducumented log of this project.

Greg Shinnie

quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

WOW Louis. Another project yepieee.

I have a bunch of those frames form the tank car kits laying around. I never thought the tanks looked good on those frames. I'll definitely be following along.

Bernd

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Louis,

Nice. This build is going to be done almost before it starts if you continue at this rate.

The shape of the horn hook couplers always reminds me of a duck-billed dinosaur. They also went extinct.

Mike

Thanks Greg, Bernd and Mike.
Mike, Those were the ugliest couplers ever.

Louis

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  6:49:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great to watch another one of your projects, Louis. I find them to be informative as well as fun. Wouldn't it be a treat if 3 in 1 kits were available today?

Edited by - slimrails on 02/12/2019 6:50:39 PM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  7:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slimrails

Great to watch another one of your projects, Louis. I find them to be informative as well as fun. Wouldn't it be a treat if 3 in 1 kits were available today?

Thanks Russ. Yes, there are a few past manufacturers I wish were still around today. Jordan is one of them. Still can't believe he didn't want anyone to take it over, and had the molds destroyed.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/13/2019 :  10:44:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first picture/drawing shows only the Kadee #148 couplers, and InterMountain wheels, along with the chain and cheese blocks are needed for this Log Car with on loaded logs.
Before painting the Log Car trucks, I paint Micro Mask into the 4 journal boxes to keep paint from clogging up the axle holes. Once the paint is dry I pick out the Micro Mask with a toothpick to remove the mask, and have a nice clean journal box axle hole. (Second picture).
Both Log Cars were painted at the same time, the second one will be the log loaded car. (Third picture).
For the L&R Logo, I used my SureThing Decal Maker program. And for the car number I used Woodland Scenics Dry Transfer Decals. (Fourth picture).
Log Cars painted and decaled, ready for putting together the car couplers, wheels, chain and cheese blocks. (Fifth picture).
The picture below (sixth picture) shows the chain color that was in the kit. I used A-West Blacken-it to chain the color to black. You pour some into a container, drop in the chain for a few minutes, then remove from solution and wash with clear water. You now have a black weathered chain.
The last set of pictures shows the finished Log Car with no load. The next project following build will be the Log loaded car.

Louis

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2019 :  12:19:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a partial bottle of Blacken-It I use sparingly as itís not available any more. Good stuff.

I like what youíve done with the cars and thank you for all the information youíve provided.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Page: of 4 Topic Next Topic: Slater Creek Railway  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000