Railroad Line Forums - 36' Cars
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 133 ]  [ Total: 139 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 36' Cars
Previous Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Modeling the White Deer & Loganton roster Topic Next Topic: scratchbuilding a 34 boxcar (styrene)
Page: of 2

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  1:43:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, Craigís MC car is a beaut.

Mike

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  3:14:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The key requirement is "interchange". Railroads were allowed to "get away with" a lot of things for cars that didn't leave the home road. DIdn't some of the NG lines run link and pin until the very end?

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  6:27:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

The key requirement is "interchange". Railroads were allowed to "get away with" a lot of things for cars that didn't leave the home road. DIdn't some of the NG lines run link and pin until the very end?

dave

I know of a one. A 3' Logger in California, The Diamond and Caldor. It stopped running in the 1950's with link and pin.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  6:40:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave:

As Bob points out, I'm sure there were other non-interchange operations that stayed with link n' pin even longer than the mandates for interchange service.

The three largest narrow gauge lines in Colorado (D&RG, C&S, RGS) all converted to knuckles by 1903, which was their drop dead date. I don't know about any other regions that had narrow gauge, for my knowledge base on narrow gauge comes from my Colorado ng books. (I'm also a Colorado narrow gauge perv.)

Of course, in regards to my modeling purposes, all this is moot, though: ain't no way on God's green earth I'm going to try to fiddle with HO scale link n' pins!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 02/06/2019 6:41:12 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  7:51:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

Dave:
Of course, in regards to my modeling purposes, all this is moot, though: ain't no way on God's green earth I'm going to try to fiddle with HO scale link n' pins!

Andre

Exactly! It's one advantage of the 1890s, you're not obligated to use them. I've thought many times about having 2 sets of rolling stock, one 1890s and the other 1870s, and switching eras on a whim.

Bernie uses link-and-pin on his O Scale Civil War layout. It works, but it takes getting used to!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/09/2019 :  5:10:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Alrighty then, the MDC 36'ers are out as is. Any type.

BUT...

Can this F&C kit be back dated to the late 1880s? (Lose the Fox-type trucks, for example.)

HmmmMMMMM?

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2019 :  7:17:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

I think you have better uses for your modeling money. This is a strange-looking model with roof pitch that appears to be too steep and a roof walk that seems to be balanced on the ridge. After many years seeing pictures of this kit I still havenít figured out what the roof material is supposed to be.

I guess Iím being a little negative. So be it.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/09/2019 :  10:33:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi 'ya Mr. Negative!

Nope, you're not being negative. Simply stating your opinion. I solicited opinions, either pro/con.

In this case, I know NOTHING about the prototype the model is SUPPOSED to represent, so passed the question on to the knowledge base that resides here to help me make a decision. Your input very likely is going to save me right at $50 for a pair of them on eBay. (I was merely going to stockpile them for later, I don't have the hots to build such a kit right now.)

Frankly, I thought the roof and roof angle looked "odd"... but figured if it was prototype, then it must be based on a "real" car.

I will gladly pass on those in favor of something better around the same price point if/when I'm truly ready to get more serious about alternatives to my fleet that currently consists mainly of converted train set cars.

I have a ton of MDC 36' house cars, both box and reefer. Once it's time to for me to return to my rolling stock fleet, I may try to come up with a quick way of chopping them down into something I like better. The MDC's do look big (REALLY big) compared to the late 1880s cars I have on hand, the size of which I've grown used to.

Thanks again for your input, Mr. Negative!

Andre

Early1905
New Hire

Posted - 02/10/2019 :  8:29:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Early1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just replace the F&C roof and roof walk.
The end lettering should just be the car number (no initials)and the same size as the side number.

Howard Garner

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  10:19:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There was a good overall discussion of the Safety Appliances laws in R&LHS 'Railroad History' #217 (2017), though the main focus was how the D&RG responded. Still available as a back issue from rlhs.org

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  3:16:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Howard:

And that would be an option. However, now I'm finding that I'm balking at the asking price.

jbvd:

Thanks for the tip!

I'll probably just save my $$ and stay the course with my previous plans.

Thanks all!

Andre

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Modeling the White Deer & Loganton roster Topic Next Topic: scratchbuilding a 34 boxcar (styrene)  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000