Railroad Line Forums - Noisy Bachmann 70 Ton Switcher
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: C430 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Noisy Bachmann 70 Ton Switcher
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Engine Service Facility Module Topic Next Topic: Kato NW2 Assembly Help  

Greg@mnrr
Section Hand

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  11:24:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I just received my new DCC equipped Bachmann 70 Ton Switcher and out of the box was very noisy, like a roto-tiller running on concrete.

I ran it for several hours for a break-in and the noise decreased slightly. I removed the shell and lubed all the gears and the motor bearings and the unit did get again slightly better. I ran it again for several hours without the shell and the locomotive was as quiet as a KATO unit. Put the shell back on and it was again noisy. Only two screws hold the shell to the chassis.

Read on the Bachmann Forum that some guys added sound proofing to the interior of the locomotive and that helped quiet the locomotive as they claimed the shell acted as an amplifier for the motor and gear noise. I never ran ito a problem like this before and have had noisy locomotives that after some lube and break-in ran quiet.

I know this isn't an expensive locomotive but Walthers Mainline locomotives run much quieter. I know Chet sent his back to Bachmann since it wouldn't run properly and Bachmann claimed that the motor "bearings" needed lubrication. His now runs fine.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

Greg

Where the Milw, SOO and C&NW Meet

Est. 1983

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  12:51:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never managed to get a 70T I had running well and got rid of it. If you’re looking for a nice running small switcher the Walther’s late run Mainline EMD SW-1 is a fine running machine but as you have the 70T I’d give the sound proof idea a try, not sure what would work, tho.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Greg@mnrr
Section Hand

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  12:59:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, I have several of Walther's Mainline switchers and they do run fine. I just like the looks of the 70 Tonner and hope I can get it running quiet.

Est. 1983

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  1:27:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, you may have already lubed this bearing, but if not, take the truck #1, remove the top lid #2, and lube the gear #3, making sure all gear turns are smooth.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Greg@mnrr
Section Hand

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  12:35:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis:

I checked the movement of the worm gear and the gears themselves and everything runs fine.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Greg

Est. 1983

Greg@mnrr
Section Hand

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  12:39:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On another forum several members suggested some sound deadening measures and I'll try them and see what happens.

One was a weight taped to top of the cab. (A little more weight will not harm anything.)

Another suggestion was to install a fiber washer between the shell and chassis and check the fit of the shell to the chassis.

Greg

Est. 1983

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  1:05:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 70 tonner too, so I'm interested in hearing what you come with, Greg.

George

Greg@mnrr
Section Hand

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  1:14:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll keep you posted.

Greg

Est. 1983

Greg@mnrr
Section Hand

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  12:55:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Worked on the Bachmann 70T and did a break-in of an hour at all speeds and lubed the universals on the drive assemble. The locomotive without the shell is so quiet. When the shell goes on that's a different story.

But I think I know why the locomotive is noisy with the shell on......

The decoder has six plastic retainers for the truck pick up leads and the motor. These retainer protrude enough to touch the shell at perhaps six points. I believe these retainers are transmitting the frame and motor vibrations on to the shell which amplies the sound.

These wires should be soldered, but that takes time on Bachmann's part. I would solder them if I think the locomotive will be improved and stay will me and not sent the loco back to Bachmann.

Greg

Est. 1983

Edited by - Greg@mnrr on 02/04/2019 1:33:26 PM

Greg@mnrr
Section Hand

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  11:55:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After hours of adjustments and trying different approaches, I have the 70 Tonner running where I feel it will be ok, but not completely perfect, but close.

Yesterday, I played with the Bachmann 70 Tonner and made a few changes and did some extra experimentation and the locomotive now runs quiet at all speeds.

I disassembled the drive gear assemblies and looked for any problems and found none. Ran without the gear towers attached to the motor and manually the gears worked smooth and I did this for both the front and the rear. Then I ran the motor again without being attached to the drives and it ran very quiet with a slight vibration at all speeds.

I re-lubed the motor bushings again with Aero Gear and Bushing lube. Ran the locomotive again without the drive assemblies to work in the lube.

I re-assembled the drive in the chassis it ran very quiet at all speeds. But, once I replaced the shell and secured the shell with the two screws, the slow speed grinding noise came back. Loosen the shell and the noise got much quieter. So now I have the shell just sitting on the frame/chassis and I'm running it this way.

It looks like the shell will act as a transmitter and the frame amplifies the motor noise.

I had the locomotive pull three heavy ore cars and a caboose. It worked hard around curves. On DCC it ran at 14 volts and it drew .21 amps, on par with most of other 90 plus locomotives.

There's at least two hours of break-in running on the locomotive.

I can run it at speed step one on my Digitrax throttle. Really slow speed.

I did installed Kadee Whiskers, but had to enlarge the coupler mounting hole with a round file to fit the couplers on the shell's mounting post.

I really like the looks of the 70T and it will do switching duties at the New River Mine on my layout.

Greg

Est. 1983

Greg@mnrr
Section Hand

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  11:56:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for everyone's input.

Greg

Est. 1983

Previous Topic: Engine Service Facility Module Topic Next Topic: Kato NW2 Assembly Help  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000