Railroad Line Forums - Damaged Goods
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 58 ]  [ Total: 60 ]  [ Newest Member: 4given ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Damaged Goods
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Friday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Thursday Lounge
Page: of 4

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/01/2019 :  7:52:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As many my know that I'm scratch building a TT scale engine house using board by board construction. I'm using North Eastern Scale lumber. I had ordered wood for the framing of the engine house. That arrived in good condition. I later ordered 1" X 12" HO scale boards to sheath the engine house. Today the packaged arrived. I was some what disappointed. When I saw the package I knew there would be a damaged product inside. I was not wrong as the pictures will show. Now where would the blame lie? The vendor for using not some strong mailing product such as a mailing tube or the post office for not being more careful. I didn't get it out of the mail box, my wife did. I can't blame her since you can see from the packaging that there are black marks on it.

So here are the pictures. Notice the crease in the middle and the damage at either end.

One end of the envelope.

The other end.

They (? post office) where nice enough to stamp it as received damage. I don't think NESL would send out a package like this. It had to happen somewhere en-route.

The back side.

The 1" X 12" HO scale lumber.

I'm going to contact North Eastern Scale Lumber and suggest they use a stronger container to ship such fragile product. Perhaps a mail tube would work better. I'd pay more in shipping and handling if that's what it takes to get an un-damaged product. I'm also thinking of going to the post office to find out what can be done to correct the situation. Comments welcome.

Bernd
kingstonemodelworks.com

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/01/2019 :  8:12:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I would say that the blame lays with the carrier IF it was marked fragile, however in a tube from the supplier would have better ensured safety, ie: you cant ship a glass vase in an envelope.
You're gonna cut it into smaller pieces anyway, what difference does it make if its snapped in the middle ??? If you're building TT scale you need at the most 2" pieces not 24".
Contact NESL and explain the situation, the package was marked damaged so it is their dispute with the carrier.
Not sure of the reason for the post though as you seem to have got bent wood, the carrier accepts this and the supplier has not yet been contacted, what are you looking for here ?

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 02/01/2019 8:14:35 PM

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2019 :  8:17:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd,
I realize how frustrated you may be after waiting for your goods to arrive, now you must deal with sending back for a replacement.
First, one would assume that the company is at fault for mailing such fragile products in a mailer. Second, the package looks like it got sandwiched between other packages, got folded in half, or stepped on, maybe driven over.
If I were you, I think a phonecall to the company would be my first choice and perhaps you can persuade them to take back the broken packs, in exchange for new ones. And make sure they send them in either a tube or a box.
I doubt you will have any good results with the Post Office, because I have gone through similar instances with them, and they come out winning every time. But, the next time, if you receive a similar package, and you feel that the contents are bad, do not open it, and you can send it back, without having to pay for return shipping.
Just have the Post Office mark "Return to sender" on it. Good luck.
Rich

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2019 :  8:42:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sure looks like it was folded!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2019 :  9:42:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The seller went with the cheapest way of shipping. Did they offer you an 'alternative' way of shipping? If not, you counted on them to deliver the product you purchased. As you can see from the packaging it was sent via 'Smartpost' which looks like they handed it to UPS who then handed it to USPS. So you have two shippers pointing at each other. You are the Consignee (receiver) the Consignor (sender/seller) has the responsibility to ensure what they send has a reasonable chance at arriving at the Consignee as expected. Putting a 'Fragile label' 'ain't getting it done'. They need to remedy their error.

Jim

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/01/2019 :  10:14:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

I’m sorry to see that happen. The packaging was totally inadequate. I think I’d be inclined to let them know but not expecting much in return. And if I did not want to hold up my modeling I might just use what I got and buy elsewhere.

I always order from Fast Tracks, which took over the Mt. Albert line. I received an order just last week. Here’s part of the shipping papers:

I received it the following Tuesday, the 19th. It came in this:

A good strong box. I almost hate to throw it away.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2019 :  11:16:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, A couple of 3 scenarios from personal experience. I have no LHS within a 70 mile radius. SO everything comes VIA mail. 1st North East is a very reputable outfit. However, it's possible their normal shipping person was not available. And an inexperienced individual made up the package. I've had this happen several times.

2nd, was your assigned carrier working the day of delivery? I've had fill in carriers fold packages, that should have not been folded, and stuff the in the box as to rather not get out of the truck. And in nice sunny clear weather. Procedure for packages is to bring to the residence.

3rd, UPS hands off to UPS hubs along the way, then hand off again to postal hubs and then again to the local PO for finial delivery. The package sure looks like it was dropped in the snow/rain/ice and ran over. I would forward all the pics you took to NE and request a refund for mailing back or a new complete order.

I'm leaning that it was prepped for shipping by a fill in. I have received many orders from NE, and always in a strong heavy box like what Mike is showing. I save them and use them to ship out O gauge locomotives fro repair and or service. That's how strong they are.

I know how bad you fell after waiting for a package to arrive only to find the contents destroyed. It doesn't matter if you only need a 1/2 inch of material. you paid for 24 inches, and that's what you should have. End of story.....

Ted

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  07:47:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Northeastern is to blame. Unacceptable shipping in an envelope!

Philip

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  08:33:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd like to thank you all for your input, it has been valuable.

This is my second order from North East Scale Lumber. The first order was for the beams of the engine house. It was sent in the same type of package. My mail person delivered it to the door, but placed it partially under a door mat. It has snowed and drifted snow had covered the package. I knew that it had been delivered since I check the tracking number. Other than being slightly wet, no damaged was incurred to the product. This time the wife retrieved it from the mailbox, so yes Ted I think it also got bent being put in the mail box.

My thought is that one of the carriers that handled the package must have had a jam up of a belt delivery system. Close inspection shows abrasion at the one end. I have to thank Mike Hohn for making me aware that there is a possibility of several carriers.

North East Scale Lumber sells a fine product with a great selection. There communication with the customer as far as order received, order filled and ordered shipped with tracking number is first rate. They fall behind in the shipping department.

The reason I posted this to let the consumer make their own decision on purchasing from them. I will be sending them an e-mail with the pictures to see what will happen. I will keep everybody in the loop.

Thanks again for your input.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  08:46:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rusty Stumps's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you mark something FRAGILE for the Post Office they have fun smashing it.

My local route mailman use to laugh when he saw I had "Do Not Bend" on large envelopes. I had heavy cardboard inside even. So I switched to a very thin box and that cured that problem.

Walt

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  09:05:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just sent an e-mail to Northeast Scale Lumber.

quote:
To Whom it may concern,

I received an order from you, invoice #95885 in damaged condition. Apparently one of the carriers had a problem and damaged the shipment. Find attached pictures for prove of damage.

This is my second order from Northeast Scale Lumber and I truly like your product and the selection you provide and would like to order more product in the future. At this point I'm a bit hesitant with the amount of money spent and the way my order was received. Partial blame lays with the shipper. I think your shipping department can do better by providing a sturdier mailing product, such as a shipping tube to mail fragile product such as I ordered.

I can still use the product sent. The product will cut to different lengths for application to a model engine house.

I look forward to an answer from you as to how to resolve this issue. Thank you very much.

Bernd Fanghanel

So, hopefully by Monday somebody will have read the e-mail and get back to me with an answer.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  3:40:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I received my answer from Northeastern Scale Lumber today. I quote below.

quote:
Subject RE: Damaged order received
From Info <Info@northeasternscalelumber.com>Add contact
To protolancer@kingstonemodelworks.com <protolancer@kingstonemodelworks.com>Add contact
Date Today 01:46 PM

It looks like it was run over by one of their trucks!

Have a Great Day!
Korin

From the Desk of Korin McDaniel
Established 1946

Northeastern Scale Lumber Co., Inc.
99 Cross St.
Methuen, MA. 01844

Ph: 978-688-6019
Toll Free: 800-343-2094
Email: korin@northeasternscalelumber.com

-----Original Message-----
From: protolancer@kingstonemodelworks.com <protolancer@kingstonemodelworks.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 2, 2019 9:02 AM
To: Info <Info@northeasternscalelumber.com>
Subject: Damaged order received

To Whom it may concern,

I received an order from you, invoice #95885 in damaged condition.
Apparently one of the carriers had a problem and damaged the shipment.
Find attached pictures for prove of damage.

This is my second order from Northeast Scale Lumber and I truly like your product and the selection you provide and would like to order more product in the future. At this point I'm a bit hesitant with the amount of money spent and the way my order was received. Partial blame lays with the shipper. I think your shipping department can do better by providing a sturdier mailing product, such as a shipping tube to mail fragile product such as I ordered.

I can still use the product sent. The product will cut to different lengths for application to a model engine house.

I look forward to an answer from you as to how to resolve this issue.
Thank you very much.

Bernd Fanghanel

Looks like I need to use another vendor with that kind of come back. Anybody see any tire tracks on that envelope? No further discussion is needed and I will not send them an e-mail disputing their claim. I'll be voting with my wallet.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  4:23:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sort of a smartass if you ask me. Korin needs an attitude adjustment. I’ll be sure and not use their products.

We should all email him, put him on Twitter for a viral “shaming” that seems to be the latest thing.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  4:27:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was a really rude reply!!!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  5:36:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They must not need the business.

Jim

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  8:05:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
as a former letter carrier of ten years, i can think of dozens of ways that could happen unintentionally. i'm positive it happened in a facility or on a truck, and not at your mailbox. as if that's any consolation....

if you suck at playing the trumpet...that's probably why.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Friday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Thursday Lounge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000