Railroad Line Forums - Resistance soldering
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 145 ]  [ Total: 148 ]  [ Newest Member: Ben de Vink ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 WorkShops, Garage, Machines and Tools
 Resistance soldering
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: DIY Sanding Block
Page: of 3

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2019 :  3:26:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking at MicroMart's #85522 MicroLux Resistance Soldering Unit. Anyone have any experience/opinion of this unit?

Jim

JeffB
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/29/2019 :  8:55:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jim,

I have an American Beauty resistance soldering station. It's a different way of soldering where the heat is localized to a small area. The area to be soldered is heated quickly and cools quickly. All of these qualities make it very useful for the small brass parts often used in photoetch for models. I have also used it to build turnouts in a Fast Tracks jig.

I think it's a very useful tool.

Jeff Betcher

Edited by - JeffB on 01/29/2019 8:55:51 PM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2019 :  9:43:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim,

I built my own. Probably not what you want to hear, but being the DYI'er that I am I'll pass this one along. I wrote up how I did one using a transformer out of a microwave. https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/22204

Other's have used battery chargers. I used it to build the box cab critters that I gave to Geezer. I did a challenge write up on it.

Bern

kingstonemodelworks.com

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2019 :  9:51:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jeff,

I've got the basic theory of operation, I was looking for a yea or nay on this particular unit. They advertise it as 63 watts, and is that enough 'hutzpa' to do a quality job. My MIG, ARC, and Oxyacetylene welding equipment is 'Pro' grade, and I've seen guys fighting with bargain welders.

Jim

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2019 :  10:00:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Jim,

I built my own. Probably not what you want to hear, but being the DYI'er that I am I'll pass this one along. I wrote up how I did one using a transformer out of a microwave. https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/22204

Other's have used battery chargers. I used it to build the box cab critters that I gave to Geezer. I did a challenge write up on it.

Bernd

Bernd,

Now you did it! A 12.6V 5 amp power supply would get me there. I've got a 12.6 V regulated 30 Amp supply sittin over here doing nothing. Hmmmm,

Jim

JeffB
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/29/2019 :  10:56:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,

I have the American Beauty Super Chief 250 watt system. I prefer the versatility of a bigger unit. The wattage is variable.

Jeff

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2019 :  11:13:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

I just read through your thread on the aforementioned link. "You'll shoot your eye out"! 

I had to crack up, with the ignorant comments you received. No understanding of basic electrical theory, but a lot of yammering and rather dumb theory. Reminds me of an individual from a club that I walked away from about 3 years ago. Wouldn't pick up a book or calculator, but had an answer for every electrical problem that he unwittingly created.

Nice job!

Jim

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2019 :  08:45:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Bernd,

I just read through your thread on the aforementioned link. "You'll shoot your eye out"!†

I had to crack up, with the ignorant comments you received. No understanding of basic electrical theory, but a lot of yammering and rather dumb theory. Reminds me of an individual from a club that I walked away from about 3 years ago. Wouldn't pick up a book or calculator, but had an answer for every electrical problem that he unwittingly created.

Nice job!

Jim

Thanks Jim. That's one thing about that forum, a lot of "ex spurts" on it.

Your opinion please and of the admins and moderators. Would there be any objection if I posted the DYI resistance unit build here on the Railroad Forum?

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2019 :  08:58:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

I'm fine with it, but I don't count. I think there is a much higher level of creativity here that understands how things work. Not your basic 'appliance' operators.

Jim

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2019 :  5:08:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many on this forum I believe would e interested in such a thread detailing this topic and contributed by Bernd, and dissected by Jim. As we all know, The experience level on RRLF is quite advanced in comparison to the "aforementioned link".

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2019 :  7:02:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

Many on this forum I believe would e interested in such a thread detailing this topic and contributed by Bernd, and dissected by Jim. As we all know, The experience level on RRLF is quite advanced in comparison to the "aforementioned link".

I will as soon as I get clearance from the Admin. and Moderator.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 01/30/2019 :  7:11:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As the bottom of the bell curve Iíll peek in and soak up the expertise that falls off in the discussion. The sum total of my electrical knowledge consists of big diagrams on the wall that show which leads are which on LEDs and diodes and the polarity of wires on a doc decoder. Blue = +.

Karl Scribner
HMFWBIC
Kentucky Southern Railway
and associated lines
Midwest Lower Michigan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2019 :  7:25:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

I read the discussion on your RSU for its entertainment value. Youíre pretty feisty there. Lots of fun.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2019 :  7:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Bernd,

I read the discussion on your RSU for its entertainment value. Youíre pretty feisty there. Lots of fun.

Mike

Never bring a knife to a gunfight!

Jim

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2019 :  8:01:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

I will as soon as I get clearance from the Admin. and Moderator.

Bernd

Bernd, I think a thread on building a resistance soldering unit would be an interesting topic.

George

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2019 :  8:03:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Bernd that MRH has lots of ex purts. Which is too bad because those are the guys you sort of remember. Sometimes those ex purts over shadow how great I think MRH is.

I donít see why admin here would have a problem with you posting that here. You wonít get as many at a boys but you will have a more conversational conversation with the Crew here.

TomO here Tom there

Page: of 3 Topic Next Topic: DIY Sanding Block  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000