Railroad Line Forums - Rail Scale Miniatures "Whispering Falls" arrives
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 94 ]  [ Total: 94 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Rail Scale Miniatures "Whispering Falls" arrives
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1980 Tom Yorke HO Pool Hall / Bordello Build Topic Next Topic: Foss Landing Build
Page: of 37

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2019 :  12:01:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Did you buy the Mennonites or customize other little people? Dave

Dave, I think I once saw a Woodland Scenics packet of HO Mennonites for building a barn, but couldn't find them just now on the Woodland Scenics site.
However, there is item #1947 "Carpenter Crew" which are the same figures Greg has but in a different paint scheme.

Bill, I know that Preiser has a Mennonite set of figures, perhaps these are the ones that you are thinking of.

Greg

Edited by - Ensign on 02/24/2019 12:13:16 PM

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2019 :  4:37:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Greg and Bill.
Very cool little people. The straw hats capture the ambiance of Mennonite barn building.

David Guffey

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2019 :  4:40:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice kit I wish they made it in O scale.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2019 :  9:21:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Thanks, Bob & Tony!

Tony, scratchbuilders are not allowed to look at the template photos.

Greg

Too late, already did . Seriously, it's the idea and technique more than anything. Not sure I would scratch this one though, it is too good a kit, and if I really wanted it, I would buy it, which is still an option.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2019 :  10:11:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Dave, Craig & Tony, for your posts.

Hi everyone, well the next step in this build are the interior barn walls.
You will need to build 5 of these using the Fig.7 template shown below.
This time I added a piece of wax paper over top of the template, because I need 5 of them this will help protect the template that I'm building on.

One thing that I noticed right away on this Fig.7 template was the middle support post was not the same length as the 2 outer posts are.
All posts should be the same equal lengths.
Once again I cut all of the corner supports prior to assembling these walls

This is how the wall looked after building it with the middle post being equal in length to it's outer posts.

I completed all 5 of these walls, then stacked them altogether to make certain that they were all the same height at the tops.

I then decided to test fit them into the 4 barn walls that I have already constructed.
These 5 walls should fit between the 2 side walls of this barn.
However when I tried to fit my 5 new walls between, I discovered that all 5 were the same size as the 2 end walls that I previously built.
I again looked at the Fig.7 template and saw the overall measurement clearly listed on the bottom of the template being 3 27/32".
So I measured it to see if that was correct, and it wasn't it measured 4" inches across.
So my 5 new walls were all to long, however I came up with a plan to easily fix this problem.
I cut my Fig.7 template into 3 separate pieces of paper.

Then using the middle post as the center point I overlapped the outer pieces to the middle piece until I had exactly the 3 27/32" needed.
This would also mean that I had to carefully break off the 2 outer posts and some of the 3x6 corner supports and top rails off of my wall assemblies.
You will see how much I needed to remove from the ends in this photo shown below, on the newly modified Fig.7 template.

So I was able to break off the pieces without damaging the interior walls.
And then rebuild each one to it's proper dimensions.
This photo shows how these interior walls should compare in width to the 2 slightly larger end walls.
The end wall shown above the interior wall below it.

I talked to Dario last night regarding this, and he is going to come up with a fix to this Fig.7 template that he will make it available on the Rail Scale Miniatures website.

That's all I have for now.

Greg

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2019 :  12:22:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Greg.

Nice job fixing the template plus letting Dario know so he can make it aware to others who build it.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2019 :  12:37:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just catching up Greg. Loving your build of this great looking kit.

Thanks for taking the time to post all the pics.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2019 :  3:57:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're doing a great job showing and building this, Greg!
And you are careful enough to catch small errors early before they get immeshed or buried in some inaccessible corner.

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2019 :  4:41:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
can't wait to see the barn raising!

the only mystery in life is...why did the kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2019 :  9:08:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Jerry, Wes, Bill & Kevin, for your interest and posts.

I thought I'd show you what those 5 interior walls will look like in the barn.
So I asked my mini Mennonite crew to help me to temporarily install the 5 walls in place, so that you could see how they will look.
None of these walls are glued together yet, I still need to add the siding.

Greg

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2019 :  12:30:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hard working crew!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2019 :  12:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Hard working crew!!

Jerry, it's always great to get a little helping hand!

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  12:53:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, well I have begun the process of sheathing the exterior barn walls using the 2x10 boards provided in this kit.
You need 70 pcs. of the 2x10 stock to begin with, the Fig.8 & Fig.8A explains how these 2x10 boards are applied.
Just one note, the Fig.8 diagram tells us to cut these 2x10 boards 2 1/2" inches long.
This is not correct, you need to cut them at 2 1/4" inches long instead.

Once again the instructions suggest using "Hunterline" stains once again to pre-colour the 2x10"s with.
I have decided not to use what the instructions tell me to do, and go with my own methods instead.
First I stained all of my 2x10's using the "Hunterline" Driftwood stain once again.
Here is how they all came out looking.

I then added grain texture to one side of these 2x10's only using my fine tooth razor saw blade once again to do this.
I hold one end of the 2x10 a drag the blade across the wood, not in a straight line, but in a wavy like motion.

This process gives the 2x10 boards a bit of a curl, like you would get with running a ribbon through a scissors blade.
It's no big deal you end up gluing these boards down when your done this process.

After adding this texture I used "Poly Scale" Zinc Chrome Primer to add some colour to one side only of these boards.
I dipped my brush into the paint, then I remove most of the paint on a paper towel, and then drag the brush over the grain textured side only.
It's kind of like dry brushing, but the brush has more paint on it still than it would have if you were really dry brushing.
I also taped down a piece of wax paper to keep the paint over brush from making a mess.
Also try not to get any paint on the backsides of these 2x10's.

The paint ends up sticking to the highlights of the wood grain that you have added, but still leaving some exposed wood showing in the concaves of your grain texture.

Here is a photo shown below of one of the side walls with some of these 2 1/4" inch long boards now installed over the framing.
You also want to leave a tiny space between the boards as you apply them.

And here is how the inside walls will look, with just the Driftwood stain showing.

I will continue to apply these exterior boards to my framed walls, and report back when I have more to show you.

Greg

Edited by - Ensign on 02/28/2019 1:34:05 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  1:24:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg

Figure 8 says 2 1/2"!!

Just one note, the Fig.8 diagram tells us to cut these 2x10 boards 1 1/2" inches long.

I hope you didn't cut those boards to 1 1/4" should be 2 1/4"??

From the picture it looks like you got the right length!!

Nice coloring.

Jerry

Edited by - TRAINS1941 on 02/28/2019 1:27:03 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  1:39:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Greg

Figure 8 says 2 1/2"!!

Just one note, the Fig.8 diagram tells us to cut these 2x10 boards 1 1/2" inches long.

I hope you didn't cut those boards to 1 1/4" should be 2 1/4"??

From the picture it looks like you got the right length!!

Nice coloring.

Jerry, I have corrected that mistake, I did cut my boards 2 1/4" long, that's what I meant to say.
Thanks for setting me straight again!

Greg

Page: of 37 Previous Topic: 1980 Tom Yorke HO Pool Hall / Bordello Build Topic Next Topic: Foss Landing Build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000