Railroad Line Forums - Rail Scale Miniatures "Whispering Falls" arrives
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 94 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Rail Scale Miniatures "Whispering Falls" arrives
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1980 Tom Yorke HO Pool Hall / Bordello Build Topic Next Topic: Foss Landing Build
Page: of 37

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/15/2019 :  7:31:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

The braces look very nicely done. They add a lot of character and are also prototypical. They would be headache inducers for the careless, thatís for sure.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/15/2019 :  7:33:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark_dalrymple

You - lazy? Now that's crazy talk!

Thanks for the explanation of the different mediums used for the walls. I thought it might be about how they take paint.

I see you were out building decks until the cows came home!

Cheers, Mark.

Thanks! Mark.
How they take paint, that's how I should have easily explained it.
I have a feeling that more beasts are going to start showing up.

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/15/2019 :  8:34:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Greg,

The braces look very nicely done. They add a lot of character and are also prototypical. They would be headache inducers for the careless, thatís for sure.

Mike

Thanks! Mike.
You don't end up seeing about 80% of that work under the main floor.
As a matter of fact, the instructions suggest a simpler way by eliminating most of the posts & braces, and only modeling the ones that you can see near the entrance.
I decided to do the harder way, or more enjoyable way depending on how you look at it.

Greg

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/15/2019 :  9:44:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I understand completely. In your place I probably would have done the same.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2019 :  11:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,

This looks like a very nice kit and you are doing such great work on it. You are making it easy to follow.

Rich

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/17/2019 :  3:36:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Those angled braces would be the devil to make consistently without careful cutting and a good jig or stop brace. Yours came out very cleanly. Too bad they're mostly hidden.

I also have a set of rail cut-offs and boy howdy to they make nice weights.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2019 :  4:38:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote

quote:
You don't end up seeing about 80% of that work under the main floor. As a matter of fact, the instructions suggest a simpler way by eliminating most of the posts & braces, and only modeling the ones that you can see near the entrance. I decided to do the harder way, or more enjoyable way depending on how you look at it.

Greg

Looking great, Greg! By making all the posts and braces the "harder way, or more enjoyable way", you'll know the floor will hold up for many years.

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/20/2019 :  08:29:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,
You are a machine!

Love this build! My imagination was never before captured with something like a 'farm scene', but I have to say, this one has changed that.

As for my own build . . . I'll respond to your gentle 2 x 4 to the head, on that thread.

Great work as always, watching with great interest!

Robert Wanka
http://www.robertwanka.com

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2019 :  2:11:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mike, Rich, Galen, Russ & Rob, thanks for your interest & comments about this build.

Also a thank you to those that posted to this thread, and were wiped out like the photos and last steps that I posted to this thread.

So here I go with take 2 of starting to build this barn's exterior side walls.

I believe that I started last time with some interior photos of a century old barn right here in my town.
To try and get a sense of the colouring of the wood that you would find inside the barn.

The instructions tell us to use the "Hunterline" stains to achieve this look. Specifically the colour Golden brown and then Blue gray brushed on here and there for some colour variation.
I went to 3 different hobby stores and could not find any of the Golden brown stain.
So I just decided to use the "
"Hunterline" Driftwood stain instead to colour all of my wood used for these walls.

To construct these walls you will need the following wood 12 pcs. of 3x6, 22 pcs. of 6x8, and 4 pcs. of 6x8x11" long also 13 pcs. of 8x8.
I kept a rubber band around the 8x8 stock to help me keep it from getting mixed up with the 6x8 stuff. They look pretty close to one another.

The instructions tell us to add some grain texture to all of this wood.
I used a fine tooth saw blade to add grain to all of the wood except the smaller 3x6 stock.

By doing this you end up with a grain pattern like shown in the photo below.
The wood in the top of the photo has the grain applied to it, and the wood below doesn't have that treatment yet.

Next I stained all of my wood with the driftwood stain, just placing the wood in the stain for a few seconds.
Then taking it out and laying on a paper towel to dry.

I then cut out my Fig.6 template and taped it down to my flat work surface.
You can apply a sheet of wax paper over top of the template if you would like to protect it for possible future use again, and to make it a little bit easier for removal from the template when you are done.
I decided not to use the wax paper, but to build my walls right on the template instead.

Posting this now to allow for editing.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2019 :  2:34:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I decided to cut some of the wood that will be used in these walls first, using the template as a guide. The 3x6 top braces and the 3x6 wind bracing and also the 3x6 window frames.
I figured it would be easier to do those now than when I had the walls already partially constructed over the template.

I put these cut pieces aside until I was ready for them.

I could now proceed as per instructions, the first piece that is laid down is the 6x8 top header board.

You will then need to cut 7 pieces of 8x8 2" inches long used as posts.
I used my metal squares to keep these posts flat while the glued dried.

You then cut the 6x8 sill plates and glue those in place.

I then worked on the doorway, comprised of 8x8 posts and 6x8 header.

After that was completed I added all of the 6x8 girts.

After completing those I started adding the 3x6 top braces that I cut out before starting to build this wall.

And then added the 3x6 wind bracing.

I then added the 3x6 window framing.

This now completed the first side wall of these barn walls.

I then repeated all of these steps to complete the second side wall.

That's all I have for now.

Greg

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2019 :  2:37:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well those walls look fine to me great job on the framing.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2019 :  2:57:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Jerry!

Greg

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2019 :  3:14:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, you have come a long way on this build. Just when I was admiring the beautiful stone foundation, you changed over to white. I must admit, I've never seen one, but if it fits your location... The flooring looks terrific.

Jim

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2019 :  5:13:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Greg, you have come a long way on this build. Just when I was admiring the beautiful stone foundation, you changed over to white. I must admit, I've never seen one, but if it fits your location... The flooring looks terrific.

Jim

Thanks, Jim!
We have a lot of Dairy farms, and Mennonite farms around here. They all seem to paint the barn foundations white for some reason.

Greg

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2019 :  11:25:02 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Greg.

There is some nice fussy work in the wall framing. Quite different to the framing of a house where you have a top and bottom plate and then studs at 2' centers.

Cheers, Mark.

Page: of 37 Previous Topic: 1980 Tom Yorke HO Pool Hall / Bordello Build Topic Next Topic: Foss Landing Build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000