Railroad Line Forums - Rail Scale Miniatures "Whispering Falls" arrives
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 87 ]  [ Total: 90 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Rail Scale Miniatures "Whispering Falls" arrives
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: sierra west scale models railroad camp-O scale Topic Next Topic: Aladdin General Store in O scale
Page: of 39

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  1:54:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, with that laptop handy, it's work in progress.

Jim, better put a cap on that glue bottle, you've been sniffing too much lately.

Rich

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  4:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Besides all the "BS" going on here.

Horses are harder to milk!! Why not raise something easy like chickens!!

Oh and Rich your truck ran out of gas while you were over here!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  5:28:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Time to get all that manure out of the barn. Time for you to sit on the tractor and spread a while.

I'll be following a along way behind to watch this build go together.

Bernd

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2019 :  8:51:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What happened to down on the farm??

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2019 :  9:48:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry, I have good news!
I started working on Whispering Falls this weekend.
I will post something soon!
I've got to milk Rich's cows first.

Greg Shinnie

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  12:06:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Jerry

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  2:40:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, well it's about time that I started this kit!
I was wishing that other modellers that have purchased this kit, would have expressed their interest to join in with me on this build.
However I have not heard from anyone, so looks like I'll be doing this on my own.

I start this build off by showing you how I organize all of the stripwood in this kit.
It's a simple method that I used with great results in my last craftsman kit build that I did here.
The first thing you will need to do is photocopy the list that describes the wood sizes with their colour codes.
Turns out that this list is on 2 pages of the instruction booklet.
I just photocopied the first page thinking that was it, until I discovered more wood that was listed on the first page.
So make certain to get all of the list on both pages.

I then attach these photocopied list to a modified egg carton that will hold & better organize all of the scale lumber needed to build this kit.

After sorting this scale lumber, I discovered that the wood that is supposed to be colour coded (gold) the 3/64" x 3/32" (4 x 8) is actually coloured coded purple instead.
No big deal, just thought I'd give you a heads up on that difference.

After I was finished with organizing the scale lumber, I turned my attention to building the base for this diorama.
The instructions call on us to use 1/2" inch Gatorboard or Ultraboard as it's called here in Canada.
I went too the Home Depot, Rona, Home Hardware, and Castle building ctr. with no luck in finding this Ultraboard.
I finally found a local sign company that had a 4' x 8' 1/2" inch thick black sheet that they would be willing to sell me.
Though when they told me it would be $135.45 I thought that's too much money!
So I just used my old reliable 1/2" inch plywood instead.
I also used 1 1/2" pine underneath the 22" x 32" plywood to raise it up a bit.
This will allow me to mount the circuit board under the plywood base for the lighting.
It also strengthens the plywood and helps prevent warping.
I set the 1 1/2" inch pine 1 inch from the plywood edge.

I then used half inch Woodland scenics foam board glued down with Lepages PL300 styrofoam adhesive to glue down the foam that will help make up the elevations needed for this scene.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  2:50:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As described in the figure 1 template of the instruction sheets.

Since my scene will not be built into a layout anytime soon, I figured a stronger though heavier base than the Ultraboard would have provided me would work better for my use.
Dario swears once I use this Ultraboard product I will never go back to plywood.
My base however cost me less than $50.00 bucks to build, as opposed to the $135.00 I could have spent buying the Gatorboard/Ultraboard.
My Scottish heritage wins every time!

Next time I'll be starting on the barns foundation walls, so until then I will be busy working on that.

Greg

Edited by - Ensign on 02/11/2019 2:56:00 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  2:56:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like your egg-carton stripwood holder. For some reason it brought back memories of Captain Kangaroo.

You clearly donít fool around when you make bases for dioramas.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  3:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

I like your egg-carton stripwood holder. For some reason it brought back memories of Captain Kangaroo.

You clearly donít fool around when you make bases for dioramas.

Mike

That simple little egg carton idea, will save you time and keep your stripwood organized, and bring back fond memories of watching Captain Kangaroo! Ahhh! the joys of crafting with egg cartons.
My basement is like a smash up derby of dioramas & structures, so the more sturdy the base the better chance it has of surviving it!

Greg

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  3:58:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Greg,
Good start and good ideas for the dio base.
I love our Scottish heritage...it also helps me to be frugal!
Thanks, Dave

David Guffey

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  5:35:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guff

Greg,
Good start and good ideas for the dio base.
I love our Scottish heritage...it also helps me to be frugal!
Thanks, Dave

Aye laddie!
Thanks!

Greg

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  5:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike beat me to it. I have to agree that egg carton storage is a great idea.

I'm liking this build. You got a newbie in structure building here following along. I hope I can absorb some of your building techniques.

Bernd

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  6:26:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, thanks!
Glad to have you follow this build, and learn some modeling tips along the way.

Greg

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  9:34:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,

I'm watching and learning with every step you accomplish with an open mind. The diorama base is a good way to begin. One often doesn't do the base until the end of the building, but by then, you won't have a way to change anything. By doing the base first, you can change the way the buildings are laid out. Great concept.

Rich

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: sierra west scale models railroad camp-O scale Topic Next Topic: Aladdin General Store in O scale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000