Railroad Line Forums - Rail Scale Miniatures "Whispering Falls" arrives
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Rail Scale Miniatures "Whispering Falls" arrives
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1980 Tom Yorke HO Pool Hall / Bordello Build Topic Next Topic: Foss Landing Build
Page: of 37

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  5:52:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Russ, Dave & Rich, thanks for your positive feedback! I really appreciate your thoughts!

Rich, the first hydrocal kit that I built was a "Downtown Deco" kit.
They suggested sealing the hydrocal this way, as I have shown on this farmhouse.
So I've always done it this way.

Greg

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  6:10:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the stone walls turned out great!

the only mystery in life is...why did the kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  08:04:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin, thanks I appreciate that!

Greg

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  08:58:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg really like the coloring on the flagstone.
And the sills did make a big difference.

Fantastic job all around!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  11:53:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry, always nice to have you looking in, and getting your stamp of approval!

Greg

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  1:07:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,
I really hate to but I have just got to say it, I'm not too fond of this one. I always
enjoy your work and this barn of yours is spectacular, I simply do not like the
flagstone siding on the house. This has nothing to do with your work which is
outstanding as usual, it's the flagstone itself. I have seen hundreds of stone
structures but I guess I have never seen a real building with flagstone siding and I
don't like the looks of it, real or model. We can't all like all the same things and since I don't know
what I'm talking about I'll let it go at that.

I still think your work is great.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  5:05:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...I kind of agree with Bob ...... Your coloring looks great, but it doesn't overcome the stonework which looks kind of ...cartoonish... to me.
My only experience with flagstone is thin flat pieces, mostly for patios or walks, maybe stacked edgewise for a fireplace. I've only seen fieldstone or cut stone used for structural walls and perhaps flagstone as sort of a veneer wall treatment, but even that didn't look like the stones on the kit's farmhouse walls...

Here's a bridge abutment I made out of styrene that's a combination of dry laid stones and areas roughly patched up with mortar. The stones look like individual pieces that have been stacked and they don't fit together as exactly as the farmhouse walls.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  7:13:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob & Bill, I appreciate your honest comments!
Dario included in his instructions a note about this flagstone work used on this farmhouse, and I will quote from it.

"Just a note; when I received the master molds from Mr. Fulasz, the stone work that I approved while looking at images sent to me by Ed, they looked great, but once I actually received them, I kind of wish I had gone with smaller stonework.
The smaller stones are more typical of old farmhouse construction, but this is not to say that there are not any homes that used flagstone. I have found a few pictures of this on the internet. It's not commonly used though.
If you are inclined, you may carve out the stones to make them look like smaller pieces.
If you go this route, just dampen the castings with some water first to make it a bit easier when scribing the lines"

I have never seen a farmhouse clad in flagstone either, but I wasn't really into carving the flagstones down into smaller looking pieces.
I think that once the window shutters and front porch and the back summer kitchen are added on to this farmhouse the flagstone won't stand out as much as it does now.
Perhaps some ivy added to the walls will help distract a little from the flagstones.

Greg

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  10:16:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They are unusual, but Iím pretty sure Iíve seen flagstone-clad houses like your model.

I donít think trying to make smaller stones would work at all. In fact I think it would look pretty weird.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  11:04:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, thanks for your interest & post!
Good to read that you've seen some houses covered in flagstone, like this one is.

Hi everyone, well I have gotten all of the windows & doors in place now.
I began by painting white the hydrocal trim around the window & door openings.

Once those were dry, I cut some acetate to fit the window castings.
Then used some "Gallery Glass" painted in and around the window openings to first hold the piece of acetate in place.
I then brushed a tiny amount of "Gallery Glass" to the backside of the window casting and laid that on the acetate already now in the opening.

I then added some extra 1/8" square bracing between the end walls on the top and on the bottom of both sides of this farm house.
This will give me some extra strength and more area to add glue to when gluing down the roof.

I then painted & glued all of the window shutters in place.
I seemed to be short 2 shutters, no problem though I think the summer kitchen covers some of the windows in the back, so I'll just steal 2 from there.
Here is how this farmhouse now looking.

Next will be the wooden trim added to the top of the farmhouse walls and the gable ends.

Thanks for looking!

Greg

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  11:11:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Greg. Yes Flagstones used on house walls are generally smaller, and large ones used for paving.

But I really like your build, and the colour blending is spot on. Nice subtle variation.
Also, once mixed with the timber building, etc no one will notice the stone size, as they'll just admire a great looking model.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  11:21:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Rob.
Yes that's what I'm thinking, the more things added to these flagstone walls, the less you will notice them.
At least that's what I'm telling Chester now.

Greg

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  01:50:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Greg. Well I've managed to find a prototype for you, with large stones. There's always one.

And now the windows and shutters are on, the building is starting to look finished. Sure looks a nice kit.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  08:24:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, that looks like an earth sheltered home!
Very cool! I've always wanted to build one of those for myself.
They are very energy efficient homes, and very safe in extreme weather conditions.
Hardly any exterior maintenance either!
So you could spend more time working on your underground railway.

Those stones look a bit thicker than the flagstone that I'm familiar with here in Canada.

Greg

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  09:01:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg that really looks great with the windows and shutters in place!!

Your usual fine work!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 37 Previous Topic: 1980 Tom Yorke HO Pool Hall / Bordello Build Topic Next Topic: Foss Landing Build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000