Railroad Line Forums - Rail Scale Miniatures "Whispering Falls" arrives
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 96 ]  [ Total: 97 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Rail Scale Miniatures "Whispering Falls" arrives
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1980 Tom Yorke HO Pool Hall / Bordello Build Topic Next Topic: Foss Landing Build
Page: of 37

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 04/23/2019 :  2:59:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, Mike & Kevin, thanks for your positive comments!
I really appreciate them!

Greg

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 04/23/2019 :  4:38:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a terrific night scene, Greg. Thanks for the tribute to Chester.

Edited by - slimrails on 04/23/2019 4:39:34 PM

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/23/2019 :  10:49:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Workmanship and ongoing 'how to' is just plain OUTSTANDING!

Jim

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 04/24/2019 :  4:46:22 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looking fantastic, Greg!

Those trusses are done with more care than in 1:1 scale!

Cheers, mark.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 04/24/2019 :  5:55:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Russ, Jim & Mark, thanks for your posts and for your encouraging words!

Hi everyone, well the Mennonites boys are still putting the finishing touches to the barn's trusses, I'll show you some things that we came across during their installation.

The first thing I noticed while installing these laser cut trusses, is one extended side of these trusses is slightly thinner than the other side is.

So I kept all the larger sized sides all on one side of the barn, and of course all of the smaller ones as a result were on the other side.

The other thing that I wanted to mention is, 2x4 stringers are used to tie all of these trusses together, just as you would in the real world.
The barn length is about 9 inches long, I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to get these 2x4 stringers into the trusses where they were needed once all the stringers were in place.
So I cut 2pieces of 2x4 stringers 5" inches long and another 2 stringers at 4 1/2" inches long.
Then when I was between the 2 hay lofts while installing the trusses, I stopped and inserted one size of each 2x4 stringers into the space were they would get glued when I was finally finished with the trusses.

When the trusses were all in place, I added a speck of glue to each truss right were the 2x4 stringer would be located, and slid those stringers into place.
You end up with a slight overlap of these 2x4 stringers, which is also how these are done in the real world.
Looks like the Mennonites have finished up now so let's see how the other side of the barn now looks.

That's all I have for now, next will be the roofing!

Greg

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 04/24/2019 :  6:04:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
outstanding!

the only mystery in life is...why did the kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2019 :  09:07:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Kevin.

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2019 :  2:49:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, well today I will start to tackle the roofs on this barn.
The kit has these white cardstock full scale cut outs.(That you should use a new sharp razor to cut them out with.)
You will need to also lightly score the center lines on 2 of these roofs.
Just enough that you can easily bend it there on the scored line.
Here's what the roof cut out for the largest building looks like.

Also the roof cut out for the larger addition on the front of this barn.

And the workshop roof cut out for that area of this barn.

The largest roof I cut out exactly as it was shown.
Upon test fitting it, I discovered that I had to remove a bit more around the workshop area to allow the roof to sit flat properly.
So I made sure that it had equal overhang on either end, and marked the area I had to remove with pencil marks and cut it out.
The piece you see me holding is what I had to remove.

I also noticed when looking in the large door openings I could see the white cardstock between the trusses.
So I painted the edges of the underside of this roof cut out with the Zinc Chrome primer and the middle area that I could see through the trusses with a concrete coloured paint.
This way I would not see the white when looking in the barn.

I also painted the edges of the roof cut out for the front addition.
Making certain on both roofs to also paint the thin end edge all around.
I did not use the concrete paint on this one because you don't see that roof from the inside.

While I had the Zinc chrome primer out I also touched up the truss tails with some paint.

I could now begin to see how these roofs were going to work together.

On the workshop roof cut out I decided to extend each end out a little from what the template called for, just in case I needed to adjust it.
Turns out that was a good call.

I needed a little more cardstock material on each side, than what the template had showed.

So after adjusting the workshop roof cut out this is how all 3 roofs were now looking sitting on the barn together.

The front overhang on the workshop looks a bit large compared to what's shown in the instruction photos, so I will still probably cut that back a little.
The main barn & front addition will now get covered in laser cut wood shingles.
The workshop gets covered with styrene corrugated roofing material.
So that's what I'll be working on next!

Greg

jbelwood
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/25/2019 :  3:16:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Greg...In my younger, more productive days of kit building, I doubt if I would have tackled this one. Do
you plan to integrate this into your future layout? Curious to see how you might separate a massive wharf scene
from a bucolic farm. Knowing you personally, I guess this question is mute.
I love the barn and the many alterations you have made to it. The master is at it again.

John

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2019 :  3:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbelwood

Hi Greg...In my younger, more productive days of kit building, I doubt if I would have tackled this one. Do
you plan to integrate this into your future layout? Curious to see how you might separate a massive wharf scene
from a bucolic farm. Knowing you personally, I guess this question is mute.
I love the barn and the many alterations you have made to it. The master is at it again.

John

Hi John, in your younger days, more productive days!
Didn't I see a huge model ship kit "The Portland" under construction currently in your workshop space?
That ship looks like it's 4 times larger than my barn is.

As to me incorporating this farm scene into a future layout, all I can say is I'll be a happy man, if I ever get a layout half as nice as yours is now!
No matter what future shape it may take.

Greg

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/25/2019 :  3:55:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, Looking very good, I love this barn and you are mastering it bit by bit. Well Done!!

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2019 :  4:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgtbob

Greg, Looking very good, I love this barn and you are mastering it bit by bit. Well Done!!

Bob

Bob, thanks so much!

By the way, I showed my daughters who were here for Easter your models that you gave me.
They both thought that they were amazing!
Commenting on the level of detail that you put into each one, and how easy it was to see it all, compared to my stuff.
They liked your 1/24th scale, way better than my 1/87th stuff.
Asking me why, I'm not modeling in your scale.
So basically, you won the Easter modeling contest here at my house this year!
And...probably the next few as well!
Back to the basement I go, with my tiny models.
While your models are prominently displayed upstairs, getting praised by my family!

Greg

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2019 :  4:46:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, Roof Roof Roof!! (Julia Roberts, Mystic Pizza, polo scene) How did she know way back then that you'd do such a good job fitting the barn roof in 2019?

If the cardstock isn't glued to the rafters yet you might dust up the underside of the overhang. Even though those areas don't get rain runoff from above or spattered mud from below, somehow they seem to still manage to collect a bit of caked on dirt/dust, cobwebs and wasp nests on barns I've seen.
And, here's a little challenge to consider: add a few mud barn swallow nests tucked up there between the rafter tails, the farmer will appreciate them eating the termites that swarm in the Spring. I'll bet a little bit of Sculptamold colored mud brown would work it would stick to the underside all by itself I'll bet and you could poke the openings with a toothpick or blunt needle :)

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2019 :  5:11:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it sure looks like a big monster! (i know it's only 9" long) and i can't wait to see it shingled.
what a great kit, and what a great modeling job building it.

the only mystery in life is...why did the kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/25/2019 :  5:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent job Greg.

Do you plan on working on it thru summer, with your lake cottage and all?

Page: of 37 Previous Topic: 1980 Tom Yorke HO Pool Hall / Bordello Build Topic Next Topic: Foss Landing Build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000