Railroad Line Forums - Rail Scale Miniatures "Whispering Falls" arrives
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 127 ]  [ Total: 132 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Rail Scale Miniatures "Whispering Falls" arrives
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1980 Tom Yorke HO Pool Hall / Bordello Build Topic Next Topic: Foss Landing Build
Page: of 37

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  1:32:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pete & Bob, thanks for your comments!

Pete, I've seen stuff stored in barns that you wouldn't believe.
Some so crammed full of things, that you would think the barn would collapse if they added any more, but the barn is still standing.

Bob, I know your a early to bed and early to rise kind of guy.
I on the other hand like to burn the midnight oil.
I'm just grateful to have you follow along no matter what time it is!

Just one more small thing that I want to show you about sheathing the laser cut truss on the end walls.
Like I mentioned before these trusses only have 4 points of contact to the rest of the end walls.
So this makes them pretty fragile to work on when attaching the 2x10 exterior sheathing.
I begin gluing the boards down starting in the middle, that way these first couple of boards add strength to the overall truss holding ability to the rest of the wall.
I also let the sheathing extend past the truss a little bit.

I then flip the wall over and use the truss as a guide to cut the tops of the 2x10 boards off as I move along.

The more 2x10 boards that are added the stronger this truss attachment gets.

Greg

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  7:31:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Your thread here will be a highly useful resource for those who follow.

From what I can see from your photos you should be able to have the one side removable. Wonderful if you can.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  9:26:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, thanks for your post!

The more I look at making this sidewall removable, the more it becomes apparent that I can't really pull it off.
38 laser cut roof trusses need that wall for support, and those same truss tails hang down lower than the top of the wall.
I also have those 2 little additions attached to this wall that will pose problems.
So basically I don't think I'll be able to do this removable wall thing afterall.

Greg

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2019 :  08:22:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, could the roof be put together in a way that just the roof itself can be removed? You might have to add a little extra support to the roof underside that would allow it to be lifted off the roof framing without the two sides collapsing together, but I think it might be done so it wouldn't be visible looking into the barn.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2019 :  4:20:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The build is really looking excellent. Does this barn have a 2nd floor?

Bob

It's only make-believe

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2019 :  4:21:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, all I can really say for certain, is that I'm not certain.
This barn roof looks tricky, so until I get there I just don't know.
It does seem a shame, to only get a view of this barn's interior is through the large barn doors opening.
There is another possibility, this barn will have a newer workshop/storage built on the back.
I thought about trying to make that wall removable.

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2019 :  6:18:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

The build is really looking excellent. Does this barn have a 2nd floor?

Bob

Hi Bob, thanks for your kind comment!
Yes it has a second story hay loft on either side of the large door opening.

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  2:43:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, well I finished off the exterior sheathing on the other end of the barn.
This is how it came out looking.

I also glued all four walls to the foundation and all four corners. Eliminating the possibility of making one of the sidewalls removable.
So next I wanted to build the 2 lofts that are part of this barn's design.
You will need the 5 interior supports that were previously constructed.
Dario has designed this loft template jig to aid in building these lofts.
You simply insert the legs of the interior supports into the holes of this jig.

The Fig.10 interior loft drawing shows 2x6 deck boards being used, however the instructions tell us to use the 2x10's for this.
The 2x6's was a typo, so you really need the 2x10's for this job.
You take 30 pieces of the 2x10 stock and cut from these pieces starting on one end of them 30 pcs. measuring 2-29/32" and 30 pcs. measuring 4-5/32". I cut my 2x10's in such a way the eliminates the green colour coding that is on one end of this wood stock.
I then stained this wood with my Hunterline Driftwood stain.

The instructions & Fig.10 drawing show starting to glue the first piece of 2x10 along the outer sides of the supports.
Making certain that you keep the 2 outer supports 1 3/8" of a inch space centered on the posts.

I continued gluing down the 2x10's until I had both the left & right side 2x10's down, but not the middle section.
I decided to pull this whole assembly from it's jig to see how it fit into the barn.
It fit nicely down between the outer sidewalls, however I noticed that the interior support posts did not line up with the posts on the sidewalls.
I checked the sidewall template against the interior loft supports to see if this was the case there as well.

So I called Dario about this, and he said that the posts of the hay loft supports are not supposed to line up with the posts in the sidewalls. So what I did was correct.
I decided that I thought they would look a bit better if they did line up.
So I carefully removed the 2x10 decking boards that I had already glued down.
Then took my loft supports and inserted them into the barn interior, making certain that each loft support was in line with the posts that were in the sidewalls.
I then began to glue down the 2x10 decking boards to the loft supports.
The same way as suggested before starting on the outsides of the loft support.
If you are not building this kit using the lighting kit you can glue these loft supports right into place in the barn.
However if you are adding the lighting kit as I am you don't want to glue those loft supports in place just yet.
You will need to take them out once again to add LED's under them.
I will also need to add some bales of hay before I finally glue these finished hay lofts in place.
I also took a fine point marker to mark dots behind the middle loft support posts, so that I can drill a small hole behind those posts for LED wires being fed down through the barns floor.
Here is how my hay lofts are looking so far.

That's it for now, I got to go and make some hay bales.

Greg

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  3:23:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strange that the loft supports weren't supposed to line up. Much better that you caught that before nailing down those 2 X 10's. those sinkers are a bear to pull back out. Looks excellent.

Jim

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  4:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good on you. Mr. BARN BUILDER. I LIKE IT.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  4:33:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Strange that the loft supports weren't supposed to line up. Much better that you caught that before nailing down those 2 X 10's. those sinkers are a bear to pull back out. Looks excellent.

Jim

Thanks! Jim & Bob.

Jim, I thought that the loft posts just looked better lined up with the walls posts.
To each their own.

Greg

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  5:12:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Structure wise, it makes more sense to actually support the loft.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  10:19:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Liniing up the beams as you are doing not only looks better, it comes closer to what the prototype would look like. In a traditional barn like this I donít think there would have been separate beams for the side walls and the internal framework. Lining things up gives the appearance of a single vertical support.

Wonderful model youíre building, helped along by your sense of whatís right and willingness to redo.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2019 :  06:54:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, what Mike said. Very true..

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2019 :  09:10:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Jim, Mike & Bob, for your interest in this and for your posts.
I concur with all of you!

Greg

Page: of 37 Previous Topic: 1980 Tom Yorke HO Pool Hall / Bordello Build Topic Next Topic: Foss Landing Build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000