Railroad Line Forums - 2019 Tribute Challenge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 46 ]  [ Total: 46 ]  [ Newest Member: Marty J ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 2019 Tribute Challenge
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 2019 Tribute Challenge Final Photos Topic Next Topic: builders in scale/c.c.crow
Page: of 28

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  12:15:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for following along with this Jerry.

Rich

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  08:37:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Very impressive work on all of the tribute builds. Nice job guys!
Dave

David Guffey

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  08:48:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good, Rich. Youre packing a lot into that little building.

Mike

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  09:29:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich,

Nice inside detail work.

Nice work by everybody doing a project. It's great sitting on the side lines and watching masterful modelers projects coming together. Am always learning something from such projects.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2019 :  11:06:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've finished the basic external structure of the bins; chutes and other details need to be added. Meanwhile I started work on the upper, shed part. One long wall is built and I'm about to start the second one. The work goes fast but is pretty repetitive. Not complaining, though.

The completed wall is lying on the foreground.

What with changes in some of my plans I'm running short of certain sizes of scale lumber so another order to Fast Tracks is nigh.

Mike

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2019 :  11:25:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Michael,

Really like that board by board construction of your coal dock. Looking very good.

One question. I went back and looked at your sketch and wondered how you arrive at dimensions to build your structure?

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2019 :  11:28:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, that's an impressive looking structure!
I can clearly see why you need to order some more wood.

Greg Shinnie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2019 :  11:33:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You all are doing excellent work here. Lots of fine modeling being shown.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2019 :  11:59:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Bernd, Greg, and Bob.

Bernd, late 19th Century insurance maps show footprints for several coal sheds ranging in length from 150 to 300 in length. They were large structures. Model Railroader has published plans for coal sheds, one plan showing bay size to be 16. Ten bays gives an overall 160 length, just under 2 actual feet, the length of stripwood I had that is appropriate for framing. The general framework mimics a drawing published in the 1870s for a Lehigh Valley locomotive coaling facility.

Greg, I planned to use thin plywood for the slope sheets, but Im liking the structure so much that I will probably do it with scale lumber.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2019 :  12:35:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well done Mike.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/05/2019 :  12:48:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although not in this challenge myself, I'm looking on from time to time, and glad to see the one's involved. Nice work to all I see going on here!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2019 :  3:40:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Model Railroader has published plans for coal sheds, one plan showing bay size to be 16. Ten bays gives an overall 160 length, just under 2 actual feet, the length of stripwood I had that is appropriate for framing. The general framework mimics a drawing published in the 1870s for a Lehigh Valley locomotive coaling facility.

Mike

Mike,

Bingo, the light just went on.

I remember seeing a coal shed plan in MR. I've got the issue also. I get it now. It's the same that I've done with TT scale engine shed. Looked at several two stall plans and then used dimensions form those to come up with my own design.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  04:20:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich. your structure looking great. Nicely detailed walls inside and out.

Looking good Mike. Sure is a Long structure. Whats the overall length ?

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  04:27:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another small update from me.
The back wall has some different detailing.
and I've been doing some distress work on the weatherboards

Have got the other half (2 walls) together.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  08:33:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob,

I like your technique of making that side of the building look like it needs some repair with the distressing of the clap board. I'm paying close attention to how it's done in the steps leading up to a finished building. Makes me more confident in my future structure building projects.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Page: of 28 Previous Topic: 2019 Tribute Challenge Final Photos Topic Next Topic: builders in scale/c.c.crow  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000