Railroad Line Forums - 2019 Tribute Challenge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 136 ]  [ Total: 138 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 2019 Tribute Challenge
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Tenement Row by Smallshaw Topic Next Topic: O scale Life Preserver
Page: of 29

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2019 :  09:18:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Galen. Youíre making good progress also.

George, hereís the jig being used for supports under slope sheets:

I leave little gaps so that I can use the jig to cut stripwood to the right length. For example, the diagonal support must fit between 3Ē thick pieces, so after shaping one end I shim it out by the thickness of the two 3Ē vertical members and the stop; from here I will trim it off a little long and put the jig in my NWSL sander to sand it to size.

I used the same jig for the taller assemblies at the ends of the structure.

Thank you for your interest.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/31/2019 :  10:34:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike. I like the way you use the jig for both cutting and assembling.

George

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2019 :  11:19:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Thanks, Mike. I like the way you use the jig for both cutting and assembling.

George

Thank you, George!

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2019 :  2:24:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Nice jig design. Process the part and assemble. Ingenious.

Bernd

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/31/2019 :  2:33:04 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What glues are you using that sticks to the wood but not the plastic jig?

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2019 :  7:01:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David J Buchholz

What glues are you using that sticks to the wood but not the plastic jig?

Dave,

I use a yellow wood glue such as Titebond or Elmerís. It sticks to styrene a little but really holds wood together quite tightly and quickly due to the porosity of wood. I pop the assemblies out of the jig after just a few minutes, before the glue really sticks the wood to the styrene. Even if I donít pop it out right away I can remove it pretty easily.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 01/31/2019 8:40:20 PM

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  10:07:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, you must have me confused with someone else, as I have made no progress whatsoever. I noticed I missed your progress in my last comment - its looking great! Nice jig.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  12:08:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Galen,

Thank you.

And, you are right: wrong name. Must have been too early in the morning for me.

Mikr

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  01:35:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I've finally had some modelling time, so update as promised.

Windows of the walls cut out.
The front wall has it's corner trim (balsa)

I always get wall warp, so have braced the back to flatten them out. This also gives me a corner to join with.

Two walls joined using corners jig, elastic band and a quick grip clamp.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  09:02:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob,

Itís looking good. Lots of bracing is always a good idea, especially when it doubles as glue surfaces as you are doing.

Mike

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  1:08:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good work on your structure, Robert. I had to add the bracing after painting one of my walls due to warping, should have anticipated that.

I assembled the walls over the past few days.

This kit actually has allot of kitbashing possibilities. The gas station office/pump shelter and the garage are built as separate structures, then glued together. If one was to make the two blank walls that join then into clapboard you could arrange them as two buildings. I had also considered swapping the two garage walls around so the large doors would be on the left. All that would be required then would be to make a new back wall.

In the end I just made the structure the way it was originally intended. The joint on the garage door side will be covered by some trim.
I see that Robert and I have to same taste in clamps.
Next is the roofs and upper trim work.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  6:16:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike for looking in.

Glen, your build is coming up great. I really like your colour combo.
And yes, those clamps are really handy. only need one hand to fasten.
Cheers.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  6:59:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen, your service station looks nice. Itís actually large enough to look profitable in the real world.

Mike

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  11:39:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike - Fine use of the jig to make supports.
I'll have to remember that when I finish one I started before.

Rob - I actually have one of the corner clamps but haven't used mine yet. I might have to give it a try.

Glen - Looks like you're coming along in full force. I like the color combinations you used, and all of your corners seem square and true. Good work.

Well, its time for an update on my project.
I started painting the interior and part of the exterior panels, made a dry-fit, as nothing can be glued together at this time. There's much fitting and planning on where to add interior details yet, which has to be thought out first.
Here I am beginning to add interior boards to the garage section.

Here I am showing the garage side of the interior with boards and braces of the interior wall supports with the first coat of paint on them.

Next is another dry-fit, walls not glued together, and I have installed a sub-floor. Actual wood floor will be installed later.
The garage side is on the left in the picture. The room on the back, right top corner will be a parts room, with access to the garage over a counter, which will be installed at a later time. And the room on front, right bottom corner will be the office.

So, I have made up the flooring for all three rooms, and they too, are not yet installed. They are only for placement and adjusting.

Another picture from the opposite direction.
The siding boards at the back, top of the building are not stained and there are some that came loose over time.

There's not much else to report, still trying to work out other details and may do another coat of paint and touch-up. Thanks for following along.

Rich

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  12:13:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job Rich.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 29 Previous Topic: Tenement Row by Smallshaw Topic Next Topic: O scale Life Preserver  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000