Railroad Line Forums - 2019 Tribute Challenge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 138 ]  [ Total: 142 ]  [ Newest Member: Jozef ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 2019 Tribute Challenge
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Rail Scale Miniatures Whispering Falls arrives
Page: of 15

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  12:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good so far Rich.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  1:11:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I mentioned in my initial post, the pump house will come from the new Rusty Stumps Green Valley Pump House Kit.

Here is a sampling of what is in the box. The sub-walls, floor, sub-roof panels and brick outer wall panels are all laser cut. There is a little stripwood for trim, and a number of nice 3D Printed Detail Parts.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  5:27:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have gotten all the drywall installed and final door and window opening determined.

All openings have been sanded to fit all the doors and windows.

Next, I need to determine paint colors and coordinate those colors to the total final look, before actual painting begins. When I construct scratchbuilds, I do not make mock-up buildings. I would rather spend my time in actual construction, than waste my time building two look=alike models. Maybe that's just me. Also, if a mistake is ever made, rather than scrap that, I keep it. You never know, those mistakes turn out to be good sometimes. Gives me another way to make what I originally wanted, somewhat better.

I will be working on making the interior walls that will be glued to the inside of the outside walls at a later time.

Thanks for looking and all of your great comments.

Rich

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  5:31:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good Rich. You're moving right along. What, the wife off shopping or something.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  6:01:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Looking good Rich. You're moving right along. What, the wife off shopping or something.

Bernd

Shopping?? No Bernd, she always makes me drive.

Don't yell too loud in here, or you'll wake her up. I hid them, but she has found the pencils and is making my "honey-do-this (or you'll have to cook) list" a lot longer than what it originally was.

Rich

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  6:24:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know the feeling. I have to sneak away to put stuff together.... Shhhh....

Rutland Railroad
White River Division
"The Peavine"

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  8:06:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good Rich, you should have your project done in no time

I lost patience with the mail system and dug out my old Badger spray gun

It did the job, spraying all the red but it ran though 3/4 of a jar of Model master caboose red doing the doors, windows, stripwood and details. My usual airbrush would have used 1/2 of that.

After the red paint had dried I scraped the raised framework parts of the door with a razor blade back down to the green plastic for a bit of contrast. Okay I didn't think of this myself, it's in the instructions.
I did accidentally scratch some of the door panels but again that's some pre-weathering.

I installed the windows and doors and added 'glass' clear styrene on the larger windows, liquid glass on the smaller.
I also found that the garage doors were a bit longer than the walls so when the glue was dry I sanded them flush.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  9:17:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No. I doubt that will happen any time soon Glen.
It takes a lot of thinking to get things done these days. But you won't see an integrity motors sign on my garage. Those colors were way too bright and yours seem just right.
Rich

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  10:11:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glenn,

That old air brush did pretty good. Colors look great.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  10:46:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich, I really like the looks of your building even at such an early stage.

Glen, youíre using classic colors.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  12:01:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Rich, I really like the looks of your building even at such an early stage.
[quote]

Michael, thanks for your comments and continued following. It is a very early stage, as nothing will be colored until I get to the interior framing. I'm hoping to achieve almost the same colors that Chuck Doan used on his diorama. So this will be a match, but in miniature as his is O scale.

Rich

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  09:38:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good progress, Rich and Glen.

I got the sub-walls on the Pump House assembled. I used a Sepia colored PrismaColor Marker to take care of the interior.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  09:54:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Good progress, Rich and Glen.

I got the sub-walls on the Pump House assembled. I used a Sepia colored PrismaColor Marker to take care of the interior.

Bruce,

Thanks for your compliment.
I see you used the markers vs other means of weathering the interior. This looks good to me and a quick way of doing it. I have been afraid to do that until now. Perhaps that is because it may color some part darker than I want. Good one!

Rich

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  10:19:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys are all doing a good job!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  11:29:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see Rich and Glen are moving right along and Bruce is off to a good start. I'm enjoying watching other guys work.

George

Page: of 15 Topic Next Topic: Rail Scale Miniatures Whispering Falls arrives  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000