Railroad Line Forums - 2019 Tribute Challenge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 115 ]  [ Total: 122 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 2019 Tribute Challenge
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Tenement Row by Smallshaw Topic Next Topic: O scale Life Preserver
Page: of 29

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  10:46:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Glen Haasdyk

Great looking truck Rich. I'm sure Chester would approve. Now I've got too figure out how to copy the hoist on the back for an upcoming project of mine.

Glen,
Thanks for your kind words. There's no need to worry,vI can provide you with the dimensions of the one I made and tell you the widths I had to work with, if you want to have something similar.

Rich

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  1:55:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, this sketch is nothing like Frederic would produce, but it will give you the idea. I will be modeling a pump house and water tower.

The pump house will be from Walt's (Rusty Stumps) new Green Valley Pump House Kit (HO scale), and the water tower and tank will be scratch built.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  2:05:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I still have to come up with a few sketches, since I'm not as prolific as some of you artists. Anyway, here's some building parts that I have cut out, awaiting some doors and windows from the hardware store.

I have to figure where the doors and windows will be, then their sizes, and on with roughing out the rest of the details before construction can begin. Next update will have more progress.

Rich

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  3:03:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich, nice little truck. I keep picturing it much larger than in reality because the details are so well done. Iím trying to envision your new project but keep drawing a blank.

Bruce, your drawings might be a little sketchy but they get the point across.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 01/25/2019 3:08:17 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  3:15:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A small building of some sort!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  5:10:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking tow truck, Rich.

George

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  5:38:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Michael, Jerry and George.
Yes, it's going to be a great build, will show more later. Thanks for your kind words.
Rich

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  6:03:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic Testard. Could someone write to me with details of his passing.. I'm a little overwhelmed by the sad news

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  07:16:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For my upcoming challange project, I have decided to construct a diorama
to honor Frederic' and Chester...together.
I don't have a sketch, per say, that I can put together quickly, but I do have
a couple of pictures which will portray my build. I have received permissions to
model these buildings, including posting the pictures, to begin, from Chuck Doan
and Troels Kirk, due to their ownership of the copyrighted models in their possession.
I will be constructing a diorama with one of Frederic's fondest models on it,
and it is the little red shack on the back of Dave's corner.
My thought is to put it with an HO scale replica of Chuck Doan's Red
Oak Garage, for Chester...with some vehicles...for both.

First and second Picture.. Red Oak Service Station
third picture.. Frederic's Red shack
fourth - fifth pictures.. A Zis5 Russian military vehicle.. made to
look similar to Chuck Doan's model to go with the garage.

Advancing to do some "magic" at my workbench..

Rich

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  09:12:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich,

This will be quite interesting to follow. Will be looking in from time to time to see how you and the rest of the participants progress with their projects.

Bernd

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  10:22:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rich, I'd appreciate dimensions you could provide.

I managed a bit more work without painting:

I put the main signs on the walls. They are printed on paper that I sanded thin on glued on. I stained a couple with some glue by accident, but I'll just call that pre-weathering.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  10:58:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

That picture reminded me of the Weaver Auto Crane. So I started searching on the internet and it lead me right back here to a thread from 2014.

http://www.railroad-line.com/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43679

Bernd

Bernd, Actually I started out with that one, but I didn't have any styrene thin enough to make the curved bars on the end. So I changed the look of the back end, similar to the one Chuck Doan built for his Red Oak garage diorama.
Thanks for posting the link

Rich

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  11:19:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, Rich & Glen, nice looking tribute projects that you have all chosen.
I look forward to following them!

Greg Shinnie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  11:50:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All of the Tribute projects I see here have been fun and interesting to follow.

My coal shed construction has been slow going but Iím hoping to reach a stage where I can speed up. Much of the time has been spent just thinking.

I have the basic framework of the lower section well along:

I have started building the front of the storage bins, including the little doors.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  11:52:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd - Thanks for looking in, I hope to have something to show soon.

Glen - Nice start to your project. I will send the dimensions later.

Greg - Thanks for the uplift, I hope to put yet another notch in my modeling belt with this one.

Starting construction...

Here I am showing the walls cut out from sheet stock wood. I would have added individual battens to a flat wood wall, but it is mostly time consuming. The sheet wood eliminates tedious work and it can still be distressed by slicing off some of the battens, for a more natural look, later.
Also, I have made two wooden doors for the garage side opening. They do not have their final coloring yet.

I have come to realize, during distressing wood walls, that I would be sure to break off the skinny edges near the edge of the sheet, knowing my habitual construction methods. In order to have this not happen, I glue on 65 lb backing paper to stiffen the walls. This actually provides a firm, flat back to the wall sections, because it will have vertical boards attached for the interiors. Also, it is like a wallboard, +/- matching a natural wood tone.

Here I am showing the front of the garage portion with the glued-on paper backing,
"underlament".

And finally...here are backing cut-outs for all of the walls, yet to be glued on. The backing paper makes for a greater, secured corner, when gluing corner posts inside the interior. Note that the corner supports will actually be part of the interior framing, which I will be working on next.

Rich

Page: of 29 Previous Topic: Tenement Row by Smallshaw Topic Next Topic: O scale Life Preserver  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000