Railroad Line Forums - 2019 Tribute Challenge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 49 ]  [ Total: 49 ]  [ Newest Member: Marty J ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 2019 Tribute Challenge
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 2019 Tribute Challenge Final Photos Topic Next Topic: sierra west scale models railroad camp-O scale
Page: of 28

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  11:21:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice projects started already all. I like all the sketches - very Frederic like.

Mike, I like that coal dump. Much like one I photographed in a town near where we lived in New Jersey. It is still standing.

Now I have to figure out a good project for myself!

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2019 :  1:52:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After much thought I've decided to build:

JL Innovation design's 'Wilbur Shaw's Speed Shop. I figure it would be a fitting tribute to Chester's vehicle building.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2019 :  2:06:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce, thank you for posting that photo. Every bit of information and photos help.

I spent most of the last couple of days stripping paint off trim in our kitchen, currently undergoing renovation. Now itís back to work on the framework for my coal shed:

Iím not sure I have enough wood for the opposite wall; might have to wait until an order arrives this week.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2019 :  9:10:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael,

Sounds to me like after you get the paint stripped off the wood in the kitchen, you could grab some of that to work the project.

Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  5:13:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have decided on a diorama to honor Frederic' and Chester. I will be constructing two buildings and some vehicles. I will begin with a vehicle for Chester first.
Along about four weeks ago, I emailed Chester and he didn't answer me. I had no idea he was sick. I had heard that he sold his property, had purchased a travel trailer, and had hoped to travel the west. I guess that never happened. I was getting ready to send him another package. Occasionally , when I could find them, I would buy the Russian Auto Car kits, the Zis5 military trucks and send them to him. Had I done that, I never would have gotten them returned to me. So, I am going to build the following one for him.

I will attempt to transform this into a wrecker... and hopefully, not a wreck !! You all realize that Chester was the Master at doing these kits..
Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  07:40:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is kind of difficult to show actual step by step into these vehicle modifications. so this will be just a little information, then you can see the final product. The door on the side of the truck in the above picture will be totally removed back to the hinges on the door frame. It's a little disheartening cutting up one of these trucks, as they are quite difficult to find and after paying top dollar for one, actually doing it. This requires no mistakes. More soon.

Rich

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  07:42:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich,

This will be an exciting build to watch. After that engine build I have all the confidence that you won't mess up the truck.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  07:46:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Rich,

This will be an exciting build to watch. After that engine build I have all the confidence that you won't mess up the truck.

Bernd

Thanks Bernd,

The only "mess up" I am going to do, is "weather up" !

Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  3:14:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, since no one has posted since my last entry, I have finished my paint job. Often most of you good modelers show your excellent painting from prep to finish, you also often are asked "how did you do that?", but do you ever show what you did to achieve those illustrious colors? Well... this is the color combination I used.

Under the above "hood", is my finished vehicle to honor our lost friend Chester FesmireÖ I will unveil it this after the paint dries...this evening.

Rich

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  3:51:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok Rich, we get the point. No sense posting twice.

Lets see if I can guess the color. A brownish color with black wash. Haven't figured out what the blue is yet.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  4:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

"Haven't figured out what the blue is yet."

Well... that's easy.. It's called Brass Black for blackening brass, you should know that !

You have an eye for color, but you are off a little.. but close..

Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  11:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well... I wanted to upload some pictures of the truck, but after removing a small piece of fine, stiff wire from my thumb, , there's no wonder why some of you fellas go to the larger scales !! OMG these parts I made for the winch/crane and boom are absolutely so small, it's hard to imagine how to heck Chester was capable of doing what he did all the time. And he was good at it. I have some details to finish and I will be uploading some pictures in the morning.

Rich

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  07:40:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I started on my project.

I pulled all the walls out of the package and painted them in white. I had first tried to primer them all in gray, then brush paint them in folk-art vintage white but the vintage white had gone bad with tiny dried particles in it. I then had to sand the walls down a bit and then sprayed them all with white primer.

I also primered all the door and window castings. These will be painted caboose red. Unfortunately my airbrush broke a couple weeks ago so that has been delayed. I'm waiting on new parts but it they don't get here soon I might pull out one of my old airbrushes and try to spray with that.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  07:53:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like you are off to a good start Glen.
Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  10:59:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have completed the truck to honor our dear friend Chester. Hope you like it...Chester!

All parts on the winch/crane carriage on the back are made from wood, styrene and wire, minus the chain. I used 3/32" wood channel to make the steel parts and two styrene strips toward the back (lift rods). This build was a little difficult for me, as far as being small parts, but I got through it ok. This will be placed near a structure that I will be adding to a diorama... and Oh?... there will be no kits for this at all! Don't even think about it!
Rich

Page: of 28 Previous Topic: 2019 Tribute Challenge Final Photos Topic Next Topic: sierra west scale models railroad camp-O scale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000