Railroad Line Forums - 2019 Tribute Challenge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 120 ]  [ Total: 124 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 2019 Tribute Challenge
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Tenement Row by Smallshaw Topic Next Topic: O scale Life Preserver
Page: of 29

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  09:36:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob,

Thank you. The total length is 160í.

Yours is looking good: distressed, far from distressing.

Mike

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  09:41:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for all of your great comments Jerry, Mike, Bernd, Bob, Louis, and Rob.

Mike - Lots of details are a great thing to have, especially around a garage with all of the tools needed. You never know what you have to fix.

Rob - Thanks for your comments and for following along with my project, much appreciated.

A short update for today. I have been busy with other important matters these past few days, and will get back to this soon.

Here's a second coat of whitewash on the interior walls.

Here's another view. The top of the center support wall between the parts room and the office is a little lower than the other two tops, where the roof will be added, so I will add a rafter to that to better support the roof. Or, on second thought, if I left it out, there could be a small sag to the center of the roof to give it more character.

And here's a shot looking towards the front, with the doors. They still have to be whitewashed.

That's all for today. I will make additional updates as time permits. Thanks for following along.

Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  09:45:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike - I'm still following your project. Nice work on the installation of repeated boards section to section. It all flows together.

Rob - Looks like you are getting more completed than me, especially all of the tedious work to add the nail holes. Excellent work.

Hope I didn't miss anyone.

Rich

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  11:56:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich, Looking good!

Jim

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  6:09:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Rich, Looking good!

Jim

Thanks Jim, appreciate it.

Rich

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  6:22:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good Rich. Waiting to see more. I know about "those other projects".

Bernd

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  7:53:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your comments Bernd, more in a couple of days. You are way off in your calculations regarding"other projects", there's always more. My wife watches house swapping shows and sees the rennovareno going on and you know the resr.

Rich

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  9:22:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rich. The latest progress is great. I like how you have a couple of boards missing to show the wall frame. Nice touch.

For me, doing the nail holes was easy. Just used a pounce wheel and ruler.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  9:37:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coming along nicely Rich.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  10:49:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the nice comments Rob and Jerry.
Rob- The only problem I see with doing the nail holes with the Ponce wheel is you have to make sure you get two holes per board and in the correct place. And so the points on the wheel have to be the correct distance apart depending on the width of each board. Sometimes that is not easy. In my case they are, but a wider board, they wouldn't hit correctly. Another item is pressure. Too hard and you get too deep a hold, and also out of scale. It all depends on what look you are after. Yeah, I used mine too and went over some with a pin. Actually you can't see mine after paints, but they are there.

Rich

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/08/2019 :  12:31:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Diving in, finally, with the Jordan Highway Miniatures Old Farm Wagon. Though it is the last step on the instructions, I chose to begin with the horses. I feel more comfortable building the wagon than the horses or figures, so I thought I'd tackle them straight away and overcome my reservations.

Download Attachment: IMG_0435.JPG
66.97 KB

Here they stand, having been welded together (they come in two halves, for the uninitiated). I will apply a little thinned putty to the seam gaps then sand and prime. While the primer is drying I will begin work on the wagon.

I'm also finishing the cabeese (see the car shops) along the way, so if I only get this wagon finished for the challenge I'll consider it successful. However, my plan is still to build a little shed/office for the team track on my railroad, alongside which this little wagon will be found.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2019 :  11:46:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone is progressing nicely.

Rich, I like the interior framing and detail you're putting into your structure.

Mike, That's going to be an impressive structure, do you have a place for it?

Robert, The clapboard distressing looks very good.

Looking forward to seeing what you're doing with the Wagon, Galen

I've been working on the roof for the Gas station/ speed shop.

I added the red trim to the tops of the walls and then the roof. The flat roof over the office and pumps has the wrong dimensions given in the instructions, so I had to cut twice. The rear dimensions were correct but you have to figure out the extra overhang on the garage door side.

After cutting the garage roof panels out of the thin card including in the kit I wasn't happy with the flimsy construction so I re-cut them out of basswood. I painted both sides of all three roof pieces in black before I proceed to add the rolled tarpaper roofing.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2019 :  01:18:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Galen,
Nice choice of kits to begin with. What kind of putty did you use?

Glen,
Glad you redid the trim and roof. Good thinking on your part. I don't like using card for roofs either. I have one structure that warped after installation due to gluing on tarpaper. You are making great progress.

It's after 1:00 am and time to put away my tools. I will be updating my project tomorrow evening, I hope.

Good work everyone.

Rich

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2019 :  2:34:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen,

Thank you. Yes, I have an area allocated front and center, although it will require a small extension.

Your service station looks better all the time. Itís worth making modifications for a more solid appearance as well for more stability.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/10/2019 :  9:39:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Roar with Gilmore...I'm torn, because I've always admired the red & white Gilmore gas stations, especially that model. Handsome. But I'm often accused of being a Gilmore - because of the TV series more likely, than the gas. My last name is Gallimore - the 'al' makes all the difference. Regardless, your service station is turning out nicely.

I used the basic Testors white putty. I spread it on carefully with a metal dental spatula then carefully brushed it with Testors liquid plastic cement to soften and feather the edges. No need to sand or file it that way.

The wagon is nearly complete as I had extra time Friday and Saturday to devote to it. I apply a part or two then walk away and let the cement weld harden, then go back and repeat. It actually snowed(!) here this morning and the temps have been a little too cold to do any priming in the garage. I can get the garage warm enough if I turn the heat on right away in the morning so perhaps on Friday I can prime. In the mean time I will lay out the site and work on a sketch.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Page: of 29 Previous Topic: Tenement Row by Smallshaw Topic Next Topic: O scale Life Preserver  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000