Railroad Line Forums - Doodling after breakfast
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 127 ]  [ Total: 132 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Doodling after breakfast
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Tools and tips for scratch building Topic Next Topic: Scratchbuild HO Scale searchlight signals
Page: of 8

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2019 :  10:59:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guff

Jim,
you're starting to master the CAD automation. Nice work!
Dave

Thanks Dave, If I don't get ahead of myself, it works well.

Jim

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2019 :  11:09:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Jim,

I'm impressed with those prints. That last close up shows what looks like "fuzzies" on the part. How will that be taken care of?

Bernd

Sometimes just a touch off with #600 sandpaper, or depending on the plastic I'm using. A little lacquer thinner on the PLA or Acetone on the ABS on a damp rag. These parts are made with ABS. The ABS is a little harder to work with, but durability and flexibility is much better. The PLA variety is much easier to work with, but it's water soluble. So it has to be sealed with a primer or eventually in a damp basement you would have a lump of pla instead of a model, picked up through absorption.

Jim

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2019 :  11:16:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

I like the way you're turning out building parts. Nothing like using modern technology.

George

Thanks George, So far I've got less than a $1.00 in material, no shipping fees, no wasted gas, zero miles on the car, and everything pretty much fits, unless I screw up a measurement.

It'll cost me the most for the LP to occupy the lounge.

Jim

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2019 :  11:25:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks George, So far I've got less than a $1.00 in material, no shipping fees, no wasted gas, zero miles on the car, and everything pretty much fits, unless I screw up a measurement.

It'll cost me the most for the LP to occupy the lounge.

Jim

Go cheap on the LP's. You're only trying to represent the riffraff that hangs out in the lounge.

George

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/10/2019 :  11:58:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

Now that's turned into quite a project from just a "Doodling after breakfast" moment. Nice work, CAD is noting I've ever done or attempted, but it seems you have it mastered. Hats off to you Jim!

Thanks Lou! But, I don't know about 'mastering it', because it still can kick my butt when I go off on some tangent. I did a little window work today. Custom sized windows for any occasion.
[br
Jim

Jim you are the HO version of the "NEWPRO Windows" of New England's Premier Window Replacement Company now.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2019 :  1:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Jim, my forum subscription page is gone. Therefore The thread of the lounge I had cannot be posted'...

Looks like you are doing a heck of a job, fuz or no fuz, flat roof and going GREEN
and any other discrepancy one can badger up...(lOL)

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2019 :  3:33:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Jim,

I'm impressed with those prints. That last close up shows what looks like "fuzzies" on the part. How will that be taken care of?

Bernd

Sometimes just a touch off with #600 sandpaper, or depending on the plastic I'm using. A little lacquer thinner on the PLA or Acetone on the ABS on a damp rag. These parts are made with ABS. The ABS is a little harder to work with, but durability and flexibility is much better. The PLA variety is much easier to work with, but it's water soluble. So it has to be sealed with a primer or eventually in a damp basement you would have a lump of pla instead of a model, picked up through absorption.

Jim

Thanks for the explanation of the materials used. I had thought that all of the filaments were of a plastic nature. Didn't know the PLA is water soluble. I can see were that would be a little disconcerting finding your building in a lump.

Bernd

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2019 :  5:32:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, PLA is plastic, just not the highest grade of recycled plastic you can find. I'll have to toss some in water, and see how long before it starts to deteriorate. I do know that if you try and print with PLA that has been in a damp environment, you can expect to get some imperfect results from PLA that has been stored properly. One of the things that the hardcore printers do, is put the spool in a dehumidifier for 24 hours before printing with it.

Jim

shortliner
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  11:33:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm intrigued by this - I'd never envisioned the lounge as being a building - to me it was always an old drovers caboose with an iron pot belly stove, up on blocks in the back of a yard somewhere, with spreading trees shading it. Odd how the minds eye sees things!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  12:01:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shortliner

I'm intrigued by this - I'd never envisioned the lounge as being a building - to me it was always an old drovers caboose with an iron pot belly stove, up on blocks in the back of a yard somewhere, with spreading trees shading it. Odd how the minds eye sees things!

I think we all have a vision of what the lounge looks like. http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15790&SearchTerms=crew,lounge.

George

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  2:00:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was a very nice lounge, wow 2007, 11 years ago you have been hitting 'em out of the park for quite a while.

Jim

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2019 :  11:46:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The window frames and door jambs are installed along with the main joists.

Looks like I need Rob Chant to design a layout for the available space in 'the loft'.

There are some wheels turning inside this joint. 

[/br]

Jim

rda
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  12:56:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Liking the roofline more-and-more. A stretched version would mate well as a secondary structure for a future yard next to a Juneco two door engine house I have on a back shelf somewhere. My design esthetic is "TOC ramshackle redux". Mind if I borrow it? I promise to do it serious injustice in the execution.
RDA

potsy
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  1:29:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim just found this the lounge is looking good the loft would be
good place for Eddie to stay?

Mark

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  5:13:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jim, this building is looking fantastic, can't wait for your next process.

Rich

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: Tools and tips for scratch building Topic Next Topic: Scratchbuild HO Scale searchlight signals  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000