Railroad Line Forums - Doodling after breakfast
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 93 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Doodling after breakfast
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Tools and tips for scratch building Topic Next Topic: Scratchbuild HO Scale searchlight signals
Page: of 8

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  7:28:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've opened our virtual morning lounge a good number of times. This morning I showed up a little late, but I still conjure up the look of the lounge as I imagine it. Not overly elaborate, but functional and comfortable. So this morning I doodled a little bit on what the lounge may look like. So here is starting point. My crude sketch......

Like I said, crude. The siding would be 6" lapboard. As it turns out, I'm fresh out of lapboard, and have been for probably the last 20 years. So, I went to the computer and drew up the profile for 6" lapboard. The profile at this point is just a 2 dimensional drawing on the screen.

Well that's rather boring, so I 'extruded' the profile out about 100mm and drew in some windows. If you've followed any of my previous 3D builds, you remember 'Everything starts out on a flat piece of glass'. (Unless you are Walt) So the next drawing looked like this, although I 'cut' the windows from the backside, because the building plane is in fact 'on the glass'.

So, here is the front side wall made with the 6" lapboard.

Here is a side wall and the open doorway.

C'mon in, the other wall and back wall are printing.

More to follow.

Jim

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  8:24:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A huge room upstairs for the layout!

Interesting design!

Philip

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  9:25:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I assume you're going to detail the interior with a bunch of grouchy guys drinking coffee and complaining about the weather.

George

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  9:30:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like where this is going, Jim!

Needs a couple of large chimneys... one for the stove and one for the fireplace so the Grouches can haul up to the fire, tankards in hand, and solve the world's problems.

Pete
in Michigan

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  9:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Philip, The upstairs is for the second shifter's to catch a nap, or after those wild parties to sleep it off. .

The back wall and the 'other side' of the lounge door is done. {br]

Jim

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  9:35:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

I assume you're going to detail the interior with a bunch of grouchy guys drinking coffee and complaining about the weather.

George

Of course! Need a bike rack out there too.

Jim

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  9:38:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

Needs a couple of large chimneys... one for the stove and one for the fireplace so the Grouches can haul up to the fire, tankards in hand, and solve the world's problems.

Pete
in Michigan

I was replying to Philip about that upper deck and who comes in with the keg?

Jim

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  9:41:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

Pete
in Michigan

I was replying to Philip about that upper deck and who comes in with the keg?

Jim

In that case, you might need a tank car connection for the draft stuff arriving in those refrigerated tank cars....

Pete
in Michigan

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2019 :  4:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, looks like you are off to a reasonable facsimile of virtual reality lounge. A few years back, I posted what I thought the lounge might look like'... I'll post the link and not the photos, I don't want to tread on your thread.... Old Infantry motto'..dopey] Wonder what happened to my subscriptions page???

ted :<)

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2019 :  6:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ted, I'd like to see what you came up with.

Jim

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2019 :  7:13:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim,

I think you’re going to need some really comfortable chairs and sofas, and a table, the scruffier the better.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2019 :  7:30:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And a couple of ottomans for the feet to live on, and some side tables for the drinks and the chow.

Pete
in Michigan

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2019 :  7:34:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

I'm looking for the 'right' furnishing to make it suitable for the 'lounge'. The Coffee ur..silver bullet, the serving line, the scullery, a n'ar do well cook, a caboose stove, etc, etc. I'm waiting on some glue to dry on the roof trusses, and watching Jeopardy. Need to start laying out the windows too.

Jim

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/08/2019 :  7:53:59 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

George

With all that coffee, I want a seat near the bathroom.

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2019 :  11:40:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 4 sides are tied together and the truss joists are put in place to keep the side walls straight. The walls are 1.2mm thick including the lapboard exterior side. So they can be a little flimsy. The joists add much to the rigidity.

I'll use 4 trusses to support the roofing, and make the top removable to view the interior.

The trusses will 'sort of' interlock with joists, sides, etc., and of course the steel roofing.

While I was waiting for the glue to dry, I drew up the roof sheet metal pattern, and printed some what I'll need.

Jim

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2019 :  12:28:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, so does this project make now you an Yankee Doodle Dandy?

Greg Shinnie

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: Tools and tips for scratch building Topic Next Topic: Scratchbuild HO Scale searchlight signals  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.46 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000