Railroad Line Forums - A Pair of Cabeese for the Ocali Creek
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 222 ]  [ Total: 222 ]  [ Newest Member: wandering rr ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 A Pair of Cabeese for the Ocali Creek
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Walthers Passenger Cars? Topic Next Topic: AB BRAKE SYSTEMS (TICHY PARTS)  

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  4:05:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm finally getting back to the cabeese I started in the 2018 "Take One Down..." challenge. Cleaned the workbench after finishing the Mogul (see my blog here) and pulled out the cabeese and details I had carefully packed away in a project box.

Here's where I left off:

Download Attachment: IMG_0079.JPG
50.73 KB

And here's a sampling of what I started with:

Download Attachment: IMG_0032.JPG
77.14 KB

At the time I began the project the Ocali Creek Railway was still an Appalachian railroad, with ties to the N&W, VGN and PRR. I like the look of the N6b, with its distinctive high-arched cupola, and could justify it by saying it was purchased second-hand from the P-Co as they upgraded their cabins.

But now that the OCRy is firmly planted in Central Florida, that connection is a bit more tenuous. I've also learned that the Pennsy rebuilt its bobbers into the N6a and b types due to a law in Ohio in 1913 requiring steel underframes for cabeese to be used in pusher service. This rebuild continued until the mid 1920s, just before the time I model. It is doubtful that the PRR would be willing to sell cabeese they'd just spent time and money rebuilding to some short line outfit in Florida. One reason for the inward sloping sides of the cupola was the many tunnels on the lines where the N6b's ran...no such tunnels in the sunshine state!

While I can't justify a direct connection, I did like the idea of the bobber caboose rebuild. In fact, I have a few bobbers destined to become OCRy cabeese. So I could tell a similar story with both types of car running on the railroad, assigned to different runs as they fit the task.

All that said, I'm going to be setting aside the high cupolas and scratchbuilding new straight-sided cupolas with an arch that matches the curve of the main roof. Other Florida roads like the FEC and ACL had cars with squat cupolas, but I like something a bit higher.

Stay tuned for the progress as I hope to finish these cars in the next few weeks.

Galen
My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  09:25:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to seeing what you do with your flock of cabeese!

No trees were harmed in the creation of this post, but several million electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  11:08:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Galen,

You’ve obviously put a lot of thought into your cabooses. I too am looking forward to seeing the results of your work.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  12:26:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice project. looking forward to seeing the results.

It's only make-believe

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  1:04:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, everybody! I have found some V-groove scribed styrene that matches the existing siding almost exactly and will begin laying out the new cupolas today.

Galen

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/29/2019 :  10:45:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Been making slow progress, but haven't been steady on posting. Time to get caught up.

Download Attachment: IMG_0417_sm.JPG
83 KB

First I cut blanks for the cupola end walls from the V-groove styrene and tacked them back-to-back with CA.

Download Attachment: IMG_0419_sm.JPG
81.51 KB

Then I marked the curve to match the existing roof and trimmed away the excess.

Download Attachment: IMG_0420_sm.JPG
96.99 KB

After that I marked out where the windows would be and used my home-made pin tool to poke the corners and dimples for drilling out the windows. I removed most of the material by drilling, then cut and filed away the rest.

You can read more about my custom tool on my blog here:

https://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/2019/01/new-ish-tool.html

Previous Topic: Walthers Passenger Cars? Topic Next Topic: AB BRAKE SYSTEMS (TICHY PARTS)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.24 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000