Railroad Line Forums - Recommendation for 5mm bi-color LED (Red/Green)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: DJ3165 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 DCC, Computers and Electronics for Model Railroads
 Recommendation for 5mm bi-color LED (Red/Green)
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Lineside Signals for the B&M Eastern Route Topic Next Topic: Infrared Block detection circuits  

ncng
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  1:47:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit ncng's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking for a recommendation for a 5mm bi-color LED (Red/Green) with a common anode? The last ones I bought were not very bright and were very directional. When both the Red and Green LEDs were illuminated at the same time you could see the discrete colors instead of the desired combined yellow color.

David

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/01/2019 :  09:40:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ncng
Looking for a recommendation for a 5mm bi-color LED (Red/Green) with a common anode? The last ones I bought were not very bright and were very directional. When both the Red and Green LEDs were illuminated at the same time you could see the discrete colors instead of the desired combined yellow color.

Shouldn't you be looking for Tri-color LED's with common cathode?
If you want Red, Green or Yellow, this would be the style you're looking for. Miniatronics is where I get most of my LED's, not sure if they have tri-color or not.
With set up below, when power is sent to red it lights red, when power is sent to green it lights green, when power is sent to both red and green legs, you get your yellow/amber color.
If you buy in bulk here are two places to look; https://www.jameco.com/ and https://www.digikey.com/

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2019 :  12:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi David, I believe what you are looking for, can be found at two sites I have ordered from many times. "Evan Designs", in Colorado, and We Honest, on Ebay, from China.

ncng
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/03/2019 :  11:37:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit ncng's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I used the wrong name. By bi-color I meant that the LED contains two separate LEDs within its package. This could be a two lead or three lead package.

I have used We Honest for pre-wired SMD leds that were very nice.

I was looking for a specific recommendation because the last LEDs I bought from both Jameco and All Electronics were not the best in the qualities I wanted.

David

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  9:56:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My layout's signal system ( http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45342&whichpage=5 ) uses 2-lead bi-color LEDs. I started out using Oregon Rail Supply's LEDs with Logic Rail Technologies 'Signal Animator' and Circuitron SD-3 drivers. This combination produced a decent 'yellow' from both, though only the SD-3 has an adjustment pot.

Then I tried Rob Paisley's 556-based drivers: with the ORS LEDs, I couldn't tell 'red' from 'yellow' unless I watched it change. Rob gave me some changes (soldering required) to get a distinct 'yellow'. But then I found that '3mm Red/Green Diffused 2-lead' LEDs from led-switch.com gave a good 'yellow' with stock Paisley 556 drivers.

The ORS LEDs may be hard to get, depending on how things are going with the business. And led-switch.com doesn't tell you the manufacturer's part # for their LEDs. So you probably want to do some experimenting before you buy in bulk.

halrey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/08/2019 :  3:00:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also try All Electronics and Lighthouse LED, both have great pricing and lots of product.

Hal

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  10:54:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you looked at Model Builders Software (Evan Designs) Excellent LED products and priced right, along with a very high level of quality.

Any problems encountered, will be cheerfully replaced/refunded, by Dave or Shelly, completely hassle free....

No affiliation, just a good customer of theirs for many years...Very Nice folks to deal with'..

ncng
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/12/2019 :  7:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit ncng's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestions. I placed my order for all the parts I required today. I will let you know how it turns out.

David

Previous Topic: Lineside Signals for the B&M Eastern Route Topic Next Topic: Infrared Block detection circuits  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.26 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000