Railroad Line Forums - Laser Art Structures #600 Dubois House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 74 ]  [ Total: 80 ]  [ Newest Member: John Prizzi ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Laser Art Structures #600 Dubois House
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SRMW Wrisley Papers Construction thread Topic Next Topic: O Scale Bay Windows and Roof Trim
Page: of 3

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  11:37:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, I recently finished this kit from "Laser Art Structures" Kit No.600 the Dubois House.
My bright paint colours were inspired by some of the older turn of the century cottages that I see up north.
I also built the Laser Art No.631 Cadilac garage to go with it.
The cupola on top was an added detail that did not come with the kit.

I also used these structures for my Christmas greeting this year.

Greg Shinnie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  12:10:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

You used very appropriate colors for that period of house. You did a great job; beautiful house. I like what you did with the garage.

Iíve eyed several of the Laser Art kits. Did you experience any problems along the way?

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  12:27:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike!
As a matter of fact, I did have some small issues with this kit's design.
One of the entrance doors openings turned out to be a bit to large for the door that went in it.
Ended up with open space at the top or the bottom depending on how you positioned the door.
These kits use peel & stick components, which I did not really trust to hold together well. So I backed it all up using some white glue.
They also use slot & tab construction, which is helpful when the slots & tabs are the right size and line up properly.
Some of them were not the correct size that they should have been.
Also the back porch, the one closest to the garage in the first photo, had to be cut smaller in order for it to fit properly in the corner where it sits.
The doors fine window detailing around the windows of the doors, some of that was missing.
Despite those little problems, it did build into a very nice looking structure.

Greg

Edited by - Ensign on 12/27/2018 12:43:09 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  7:00:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice Greg.

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  7:08:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Greg, that's stunning. Perfect...

Bob

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  7:34:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Beautiful job on that house.

You stated:
quote:

I've often wondered if the designer had to assemble the first kit he designed if he would run into the same problems. Kind of reminds me of the engineers at work. They'd design something and it wouldn't work or fit together right. Makes me think the engineer should assemble the first run.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  7:46:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my experience designing 1 kit and doing instructions on a couple others, you always have to do one or two 'check-out builds' before sending the kit to an independent 'quality assurance' kit builder. (I did the 'QA build' while doing kit instructions.)

Maybe the really experienced kit designers can get away with only 1 test build, but there are too many things that can go wrong with alignments.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  8:20:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Greg,

You stated:
quote:

I've often wondered if the designer had to assemble the first kit he designed if he would run into the same problems. Kind of reminds me of the engineers at work. They'd design something and it wouldn't work or fit together right. Makes me think the engineer should assemble the first run.

Bernd

Thanks! Frank, Bob, Bernd, & Dave, for your nice comments & posts.

Bernd & Dave, I don't think that the person that designed the cut file for this kit, was the same person that built the completed model shown on the box.
Had it been, they would have gone back and fixed the little mistakes in this kit.
I bought this kit several years ago now, perhaps someone has now fixed these things.
In the end, it did all build into a beautiful looking residence.

I know so far from my limited experience of trying to become a kit manufacturer, that I have already changed many things from my original designs.
Always improving on the last design and making it constantly better.
It's the assembly of those parts, and how they look and work with each other that really gets all the bugs worked out.

Greg

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  8:23:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I recall, that line of kits had a bit of a reputation for ill-fitting parts.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  8:31:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done, Greg! Love the "card!"

Pete
in Michigan

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  8:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Despite your problems, you did a great job on the kit, Gregg. I like your colors. It looks good in your Christmas scene.

George

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  9:56:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Thank you for the honest assessment. Iíd heard there could be problems along the lines you describe. Obviously they are not insurmountable for a modeler like yourself. I donít think Iíd hesitate to pick up one of their offerings if the price were right and the structure fit my needs.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  10:50:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Greg,

You stated:
quote:

Bernd

I believe that most of the experienced kit manufacturers do build their own pilot models to work out any assembly problems before shipping their kits. As an example, George Selious of Fine Scale Miniatures has put a typed note in some kits whereby stating substitutions of certain strip wood sizes or has included additional kit parts that were not in the instructions. Bob VanGelder told me that he actually built Martin's Machine, three times before shipping the first kit. To me, that would make customer satisfaction down the line, to thwart any unforeseen problems in future kit construction.
Aside from that, Greg, you have a great Christmas build. I like the cut tree on the car and the snowman is a hoot! The house and garage aren't too bad either! Nice Christmas card too.

Rich

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  11:38:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job Greg. Nice coloring.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  09:26:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really like this house! Sadly, it appears not be offered in O scale,

quote:
Originally posted by deemery

As I recall, that line of kits had a bit of a reputation for ill-fitting parts.

I can vouch for that. My experience with one of their kits clearly defined that the designer had a very limited grasp of 3D geometry; all of the flat work - walls, etc. worked out perfectly. Everything that was not a flat piece had to be replaced or modified.

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  09:40:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much guys!
I'm glad that you like what I have done with this kit.
I also have the companion kit to this house, #640 the "Dubois store" and interior detail kit for this store #641.

Greg

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: SRMW Wrisley Papers Construction thread Topic Next Topic: O Scale Bay Windows and Roof Trim  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000