Railroad Line Forums - Into the woods
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 133 ]  [ Total: 133 ]  [ Newest Member: DJ3165 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Into the woods
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Work on South River Modelworks Layout Topic Next Topic: Just been ripped off... Model Tech Studios S0054
Page: of 2

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/26/2018 :  2:34:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am building a log train diorama to be housed in a shadowbox. The concept is a string of log disconnects with support headed into the woods. I have built 3 log disconnects from Sierra West and ordered 3 more. While I would like to have all of them in the train, this diorama is already 3' long which is about all I can accomodate.

There will be a couple of sheds/shacks on the left side of the dio to simulate leaving the camp with some woods beginning off to the right as the train heads out. The mock-up train you see here has the disconnects, a "caboose" and a critter locomotive. I am building a sawfiler car from a Foothill flatcar to serve as the caboose and will be replacing the critter with a Shay that I recently acquired thanks to Mark B.

Bryan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/26/2018 :  3:40:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bryan, I like your logging train. It looks sharp.
Glad to see that they spared no expense on the caboose.

It's only make-believe

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 12/26/2018 :  4:10:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice train, great looking log cars, detailed nicely. Sierra West does make some outstanding log disconnects. That train will make a great shadowbox diorama.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 12/26/2018 :  11:59:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a great logging train. What shay did you pick up? I have the keystone shay on my shelf for the future.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  06:20:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  09:27:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bryan,

Nice looking lineup of woodsy rolling stock. Iím intrigued by the car under construction and what it will look like when done. Nice work.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  09:29:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well done Bryan.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  11:29:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Love those log disconnects. On30? On3?

Nicely done with all those wood chips on them.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  05:18:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all.

Bernd, they are On30 but you can make them On3 if needed. I got my wheelsets from Foothill. They have some very detailed wheels that are unfortunately hard to see when installed.

Robert, no expense spared indeed...nothing but the best for the boys in the woods.

I got some work done on the catch-all car. On to the roof next.

Bryan

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  06:07:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm calling this part of the train done.

I need to chat with someone with more electrician skills than myself. I'm thinking over the lighting. There will be interior lighting inside the shadow box, but I would also like to be able to access the light on the loco. I plan on using 12V worth of batteries to operate the internal lights. Can I run this power straight to the track to run the loco lights? will this cause a problem? I need some help. Let me know if you are an expert...lets talk.

Bryan

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  06:39:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bryan,
Echoing those before me, beautiful work on all of the cars.

Rich

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  08:40:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brownbr

I need to chat with someone with more electrician skills than myself. I'm thinking over the lighting. There will be interior lighting inside the shadow box, but I would also like to be able to access the light on the loco. I plan on using 12V worth of batteries to operate the internal lights. Can I run this power straight to the track to run the loco lights? will this cause a problem? I need some help. Let me know if you are an expert...lets talk.

Bryan,

Let's see if I can help out. First, what kind of lighting do you or are you installing to light the shadow box? Second, I take it the Shay will have the motor disconnected or doesn't have a motor? Let's start with answering those questions.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  09:23:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bernd.

1: Lights will be LED with RGBW included. They are listed to run off of 12V DC. I plan on using 8-1.5V batteries to power it. There will be a remote for the switch/color change/dimmer/etc. This link shows the lights I am considering. https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flexible-led-strip-lights-color-changing/5050-rgbw-led-strip-light-color-changing-led-tape-light-w-white-and-multicolor-leds-12v-ip20-204-lmft/5151/11541/

2: The motor will be removed. The only function I will be looking for is the light. I figure it would be easiest to put this on a seperate power and switch, but I would like to make them all connected and controlled by one unit.

Bryan

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  08:17:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bryan-

Great start on the diorama. I can imagine what that car would sound like rolling down rough track.

Mark Chase
Richmond VA

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  08:41:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great detail work on the saw filer's car, Bryan.

George

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  08:50:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brownbr

Thanks Bernd.

1: Lights will be LED with RGBW included. They are listed to run off of 12V DC. I plan on using 8-1.5V batteries to power it. There will be a remote for the switch/color change/dimmer/etc. This link shows the lights I am considering. https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flexible-led-strip-lights-color-changing/5050-rgbw-led-strip-light-color-changing-led-tape-light-w-white-and-multicolor-leds-12v-ip20-204-lmft/5151/11541/

2: The motor will be removed. The only function I will be looking for is the light. I figure it would be easiest to put this on a seperate power and switch, but I would like to make them all connected and controlled by one unit.

Ok, good info. Now I don't know if those 8 1.5 volt batteries will work for any length of time. The whole lighting strip says it takes 65watts. That would be a current draw of 5.4amps. I would think it would drain those batteries quite fast. The other thing is that that wattage per foot is 4watts or .33 amps per foot. So depending on how long your lighting strip is going to be will depend on how many amps the circuit will draw. I would suggest getting something in the garden tractor battery type to power the lights. Just my opinion. Perhaps somebody else can chime in here and give their opinion.

Hope this helped in some way.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Work on South River Modelworks Layout Topic Next Topic: Just been ripped off... Model Tech Studios S0054  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000