Railroad Line Forums - Lous MDC Logging 3 in 1 MoW Fire Fighting Train
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 157 ]  [ Total: 160 ]  [ Newest Member: Jozef ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Lous MDC Logging 3 in 1 MoW Fire Fighting Train
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1/72 Scale Narrow Gauge Modeling Topic Next Topic: jacks cabin water tank plans?
Page: of 20

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  08:59:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The next step is to construct upright supports, and to make platforms for the water car tank frame ends. However, I'll have to visit some hobby shops for the styrene angle that I'll be needing for this project.
They suggest using Plastruct angle 3/64 for the upright supports, and cutting Northeastern scribed stock to fit over the frame support ends. And, show only these two pictures provided to use as a guide for construction purposes.
Then go on to say, mount the tank on top of the hopper frame using homemade cheese blocks, and tank straps made from a piece of 1/16 wide heavy paper stock. The homemade cheese blocks Ill make from 1/16 x 1/8 strip wood, but will use styrene strip for the straps on mine version. The top platform is made using 2x2 scale strip wood, braces made from 3/64 angle stock and stanches by Athearn.
For detailing the top of the water car, for the pump and hose reel they suggest using a Cal-Scale #WP-287 with hose made from solder wrapped around the reel and painted tan or light gray, a tool/storage box from an Atlas shanty, locomotive stanchions from Athearn, and brake equipment from MDC. I have provided pictures of these items.
Anyone having pictures of this car done, that I could get ideas from, please post away. It would be a big help.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  09:40:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its a good time to get this in the shop, Lou, I just saw that there is a foot or more snow in the Cascade region and they wont be needing their fire equipment until next year.

Memories coming back here. No LHS when I built this so Im sure I compromised extensively in the process.

Karl Scribner
HMFWBIC
Kentucky Southern Railway
and associated lines
Midwest Lower Michigan

potsy
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  10:32:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis you make sound complicated but I'm sure you will
do just fine

Mark

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  11:23:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by k9wrangler

Its a good time to get this in the shop, Lou, I just saw that there is a foot or more snow in the Cascade region and they wont be needing their fire equipment until next year.

Memories coming back here. No LHS when I built this so Im sure I compromised extensively in the process.

quote:
Originally posted by potsy

Louis you make sound complicated but I'm sure you will
do just fine

Mark

Hey Karl, that means I've got plenty of time to work on this, because winter seems to drag on forever around here.
I'm sure I'll be doing some improvising as well with mine, for one, I know I won't be using an Atlas coal bin for a tool/storage box.

Mark, thanks for the vote of confidence, things always look complicated until I get into it.

Louis

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  11:25:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lou,

If you carefully glue two 1/16" styrene pieces at a 90, you can save a trip to the LHS. Use thick glue to fill that gap!

Jim

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  11:30:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Lou,

If you carefully glue two 1/16" styrene pieces at a 90, you can save a trip to the LHS. Use thick glue to fill that gap!

Jim

Good tip there Jim. I was leaning toward using 4x4 scale wooden posts to save looking for angle stock. Your idea is another option to think about. Thanks!

Louis

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  12:58:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know zilch about rolling stock...but always follow and enjoy your builds Louis!

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  3:52:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

I know zilch about rolling stock...but always follow and enjoy your builds Louis!

Thank you Carl for following along with my builds and posting your comments.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  3:53:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a small simple start on this water car, I cutout from Northeastern scribed stock two frame end platforms measuring 1-1/4 x 3/4, (see picture) and made the cheese blocks that will be used on the frame up against the tank at the four end corners. The instructions called for using two pieces of strip wood 1/6 x 1/8 x 3/16 long to make the four cheese blocks. The drawing for the cheese blocks was included in the cutting instructions (see below). They say to cut two pieces 3/16 long and mark 1/6 on the top and 1/16 on the opposite end, then cut diagonally to make two cheese blocks from each piece. These things are so small it is crazy to even think of using them. Instructions said to, so I guess I will.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 12/25/2018 :  9:38:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didnt like how the tank sat on the frame with a large space between the top of the frame sill, and tank bottom (see kit picture below), so I put down a piece of strip wood on top of the frame center sill to make the frame deck level. I decided to make tank base supports out of Evergreen Scale Models channel #263 .100 for each end of the tank as seen in the second picture below, and will also change the wooden cheese blocks idea, and I will make up new ones from Evergreen #144 .040 x .080 strip styrene, and the tank tie down straps will be made from Evergreen #102 .010 x .040 strip styrene as seen on the left of the second picture. Kadee #500 Bettendorf wheel sets will be used, along with Kadee #148 whisker couplers. I know absolutely nothing about Prototype brake systems, so I just placed the brake parts as shown in the kit pictures. These parts are now ready for primer painting before continuing on with this water car build.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 12/26/2018 :  12:19:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A quick stop at the paint booth for some primer. Now, some thought as to what color scheme I want on this fire train, and construction of the frame work for the top deck of the water car.

Louis

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/26/2018 :  12:36:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, this is all looking great here!
However I've been waiting over at the car barn project, scratching my head wondering when you are going to return to work back there.

Greg Shinnie

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 12/26/2018 :  2:33:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Louis, this is all looking great here!
However I've been waiting over at the car barn project, scratching my head wondering when you are going to return to work back there.

Greg Shinnie

Interest over there is about the same as here Greg, I think I'll start showing a build I'm going to do from now on, then send the finished PDF files to anyone interested, to followers like yourself.

Louis

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/26/2018 :  4:32:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

Interest over there is about the same as here Greg, I think I'll start showing a build I'm going to do from now on, then send the finished PDF files to anyone interested, to followers like yourself.
[/quote]

Louis, interest can be measured not only by the number of replies to a thread, but also more importantly in my eyes, by the total number of views to a thread.
You started this thread 6 days ago, and have already been viewed 450 times!
That looks like a fair amount of interest to me!

I look forward to seeing your next steps taken in both of your builds!

Greg Shinnie

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/26/2018 :  6:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weird, my comment from about 0700 this morning is lost in the ether. Basically I commented on how you (Lou) would be forever irritated with that gap showing, and your resolution would let you sleep better at night. I wonder where that message flew off to?

Greg's comment is 100% correct, a lot of nonverbals here.

Jim

Page: of 20 Previous Topic: 1/72 Scale Narrow Gauge Modeling Topic Next Topic: jacks cabin water tank plans?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000