Railroad Line Forums - Louís MDC Logging 3 in 1 MoW Fire Fighting Train
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 55 ]  [ Total: 55 ]  [ Newest Member: Marty J ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Louís MDC Logging 3 in 1 MoW Fire Fighting Train
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1/72 Scale Narrow Gauge Modeling Topic Next Topic: jacks cabin water tank plans?
Page: of 20

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  1:46:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Louis, your really quite proficient at this paint stripping & repainting of rolling stock & motive power.
Looking forward to seeing the completed fire fighting train!
Perhaps parked along side of your burnt out engine house.

Greg Shinnie

Thanks Greg for your comments.
For a mostly static display, and topic of discussion piece of equipment, it has a good place right along side the burned down engine house to add to the discussion.
The track behind will replace the 1922 Rail truck and Sperry Rail Service Car with the Fire Fighting Train. Good spot for it.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  10:15:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This morning we have a fire red RS-2 body shell, and a barn red frame, Fire Fighting equipment getting closer to completion. Next steps in the progress forthcoming.

Louis

Empire of the Air
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  10:37:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis,

Did you have any trouble getting that Delta Ceramcoat to go through an airbrush? Really enjoying your project.

Regards,
Wallace

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  2:12:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Empire of the Air

Louis,

Did you have any trouble getting that Delta Ceramcoat to go through an airbrush? Really enjoying your project.

Regards,
Wallace

Hi Wallace, you need to really water it down with Liquitex Flow Aid. I make a mixture of 20 parts distilled water, with 1 part Liquitex Flow Aid as a starting point. Then mix 50/50 Flow Aid with Craft paint, sometimes adding a bit more Flow Aid to the 50/50 mix. When spray consistency is good, your set to go. I don't use my good Paasche VL-SET. I have an old Badger Model 150 that works great for the craft painting. Thanks for your question, and posting a comment.

Louis

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  6:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking mighty fine in that red, Louis! Can't wait to see it completed.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  7:09:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slimrails

Looking mighty fine in that red, Louis! Can't wait to see it completed.

Thanks Russ!

Louis

Empire of the Air
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  8:35:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Louis. One more questions about the Ceramcoat: is the pigment ground finely enough? It looks so from the photos you posted. Since that line of paint is so widely available, I would like to be able to add it to my arsenal.

Regards,
Wallace

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  9:13:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Empire of the Air

Thanks Louis. One more questions about the Ceramcoat: is the pigment ground finely enough? It looks so from the photos you posted. Since that line of paint is so widely available, I would like to be able to add it to my arsenal.

Regards,
Wallace

It seams to me to be the right consistency, but I would suggest you get one bottle and give it a try to see if it is to your liking. The Flow Aid is cheap enough, and available at Michaels Stores and other places to get. To be fair, as far as knowing if the pigment is ground finely enough, that I wouldn't know, and I'm sure you are more up on that topic than myself.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  9:20:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a Testors Sure Thing Decal Maker program Custom Edition I got for $9.95 years ago;
http://www.decalgear.com/DG/Category.asp?CatCode=DM_FEATURES
Thereís also a Basic Edition software for $6.95 but you donít have all the custom decaling abilities. http://www.decalgear.com/DG/Product.asp?ProdCode=62101-1
I did a Homemade Decals How-to here in 2008; http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23297 the same process was used to make the L&R Fire Prevention Service decal for the RS-2 Locomotive. I made extras because I've leaned you never have enough for mistakes. I made two Logo's with an F1 (Fire #1) in the center for use on the Cab sides. And, will use two of the L&R Fire Prevention Service decals for the body sides. The Testors decal bonder spray must be used to seal the ink. Some printer inks will not run, but others will, so to be safe and take that extra step, use the bonder spray. Iíve seen a good decal run because I left that step out.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  11:08:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a blow-up of the cab Logo. For Fire #1.

Louis

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  09:42:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Louis,

Looking good. I like your decal tip. I checked out the link to when you made the decals for the truck. Remember seeing it. Though I'm glad you brought this subject up again. I've been looking for a way to make decals. I checked out the link and see that they still sell the kits for decal making. Thanks again for that bit of information.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  11:40:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Louis,

Looking good. I like your decal tip. I checked out the link to when you made the decals for the truck. Remember seeing it. Though I'm glad you brought this subject up again. I've been looking for a way to make decals. I checked out the link and see that they still sell the kits for decal making. Thanks again for that bit of information.

Bernd

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  2:10:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well we have come to the end of the line here with the completion of the RS-2, and the Fire Fighting Train Equipment Cars project. The RS-2 is now in service, and heading the firefighting equipment. Thanks to all that followed along, and posted their thoughts and comments.
It helps to make these builds pleasurable when folks like yourselves follow along to keep us on track. I hope you enjoyed following along and seeing the finished project.

Louis

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  2:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, your new fire fighting train looks incredible!
Your L & R railroad is now better prepared for such emergencies.
Thanks for sharing this interesting project with us all.
I really enjoyed watching this all come together!

Greg Shinnie

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  2:47:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting build and a fine looking train, Louis. Now you need to start another fire to justify such an elaborate fire fighting train.

George

Page: of 20 Previous Topic: 1/72 Scale Narrow Gauge Modeling Topic Next Topic: jacks cabin water tank plans?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000