Railroad Line Forums - Louís MDC Logging 3 in 1 MoW Fire Fighting Train
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 97 ]  [ Total: 101 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Louís MDC Logging 3 in 1 MoW Fire Fighting Train
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1/72 Scale Narrow Gauge Modeling Topic Next Topic: jacks cabin water tank plans?
Page: of 20

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2019 :  11:49:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No minhydraulic system? How did the prototype get raised? Armstrong power? This fire train is keeping you out of Rita's hair.

Jim

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  08:34:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Louis, your model is going to be a towering achievement.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  08:41:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

I'll say. Looks like Louis will be achieving new height's.

Looking good Louis.

Bernd

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  09:53:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

No minhydraulic system? How did the prototype get raised? Armstrong power? This fire train is keeping you out of Rita's hair.

Jim

I can only imagine the prototype was raised manually. From the prototype picture I posed at the beginning, I don't see how it went up, if at all. This may be just a kit modeler companies idea to rise it up and down.
Rita??????? Did you mean Rosemary??????

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  10:03:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

quote:

I'll say. Looks like Louis will be achieving new height's.

Looking good Louis.

Bernd

Thanks Mike and Bernd for your comments, thoughts, and following along.
You both are getting like Greg (Ensign) with the wit and humor. Your both a comic and don't know it.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  9:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The caboose body and frame that Iím using for my Tower car has been put together, painted and two poles made from Plastruct round rod styrene #90857 for the roof overhang. With the body steps attached to the side doors, the original tool box that mounts under the frame sides would be too long and behind the steps. I cut a center section out of the tool boxes, and shortened the size of the box, so I can mount them under the frame sides and clear the body steps. The car will need windows before it is completed, and the tower build is the last to work on to complete the build for this car.

Louis

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  9:57:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Jim

I can only imagine the prototype was raised manually. From the prototype picture I posed at the beginning, I don't see how it went up, if at all. This may be just a kit modeler companies idea to rise it up and down.
Rita??????? Did you mean Rosemary??????

I knew it wasn't Rhonda, Rachel, or Ruby, and don't know why Rita popped into my head. My apologies to Rosemary, hope she's not asking you about Rita.

Jim

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  07:49:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Louis,

I like the looks of the tower car. Much better than what the instructions suggest.

Bernd

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  09:40:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Louis,

I like the looks of the tower car. Much better than what the instructions suggest.

Bernd

Thanks Bernd. Yes, I'm glad I decided to use the whole box for the Chemical car, and use this Caboose for the Tower car. It does look a lot better in my opinion as well.

Louis

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  10:55:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, your last car in this fire fighting trio is shaping up quite nicely!

Greg Shinnie

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  11:32:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Louis,

I like the look of that last car. I have seen another style built in wood. I would rather weather wood over plastic, anyday. But, I'm sure yours will look nice along with all the other cars you have done.

Rich

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  12:50:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Louis, your last car in this fire fighting trio is shaping up quite nicely!

Greg Shinnie

quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Hey Louis,

I like the look of that last car. I have seen another style built in wood. I would rather weather wood over plastic, anyday. But, I'm sure yours will look nice along with all the other cars you have done.

Rich

Greg Thanks! Yes, this is the last car in the 3 in 1 Fire Fighting Train series, but I'm not done quite yet. I found an old, (once basement flooded survivor), Roundhouse old timer tank car that I plan on refurbishing, and make it an auxiliary water car to go along with the pumper water car.
Also, painting that AHM RS-2 as the Fire Prevention locomotive. Then my L&R railroad Fire Fighting service will be completed.

Rich thanks, this type of car for the tower car use does look better in my opinion as well.
No doubt that wood is better looking weathered any day. But if done right, plastic can also look pretty good weathered.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  6:56:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After a lot of fiddling and cussing, I got the top and bottom frame of the tower sections together and glued. Iíll still have the bracing to do of each section top and bottom, ladders to attach, and top wire rails made and attached. The pictures below show the tower section frames, top and bottom. And, the tower top section inserted into the bottom section with views of the tower lowered and raised.
You can see by the green mat board, that the tower is only 1" x 1" square. So it is quite small to handle and work with while trying to glue this together.

Louis

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2019 :  07:59:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Louis,

Nice job on that platform build. Looks very clean. You might run into a problem when painted if it's a tight fit now. The paint will tighten up those sliding areas in the corner.

Bernd

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  5:11:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bernd for your continued comments and thoughts, but in this case the paint will not become problematic for me.

Louis

Page: of 20 Previous Topic: 1/72 Scale Narrow Gauge Modeling Topic Next Topic: jacks cabin water tank plans?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.78 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000